PDA

View Full Version : CBR swingarm

merlin
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Quick question:

I just recently picked up a 1987 CBR600F, which is in desperate need of new tires. After looking around it seems that all I can get in the stock sizes (130/80 17 rear, 110/80 17 front) are sport touring tires (and then only if I go up to a 140 rear) by Avon or Dunlop. I am looking at moving up to a 120 front and 160 rear so I can get sport tires for her, and figure I'll have to change the rear rim to do so.

My question is: Will the rear rim off a F2 or F3 fit on the stock swingarm, or should I be looking for a rear swingarm/rear wheel for it? Will that even work? I don't have much (any) experience with sportbikes, so I am not sure what I can get away with. Anyone have a F2 or F3 I can take a few measurments from?

Merlin

Hoopty
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 12:02 PM
I talked to a friend with a Hurricane, he says he's got a 150 on his rear right now. Apparently Metzeler makes some sporty tires that size. I have a 96 F3 you could pull some measurements from if you need to. :)

merlin
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 12:06 PM
I talked to a friend with a Hurricane, he says he's got a 150 on his rear right now. Apparently Metzeler makes some sporty tires that size. I have a 96 F3 you could pull some measurements from if you need to. :)

Very cool! Thanks for the info. I seem to remember seeing Pirelli's in a 150 too- I'll have to go look. I will probably take you up on those measurments too, at some point- I'll get the dimensions on my swingarm this weekend and consider the matter.

Thanks again!
Merlin

Hoopty
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 12:08 PM
BTW, Metzeler and Pirelli are the same brand. :)

merlin
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 12:12 PM
::blink::

Now THAT I didn't know- Thanks! You just saved me quite a bit of cash :lol:

Merlin

Hoopty
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Where were you looking to buy tires? I may have a few suggestions for you. :)

merlin
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 12:52 PM
I've been looking on the Discount Motorcycle Tire website. Once I decide which tire I am gonna go with, I'll look around and see if I can beat their price counting mounting charges and shipping/taxes and what-not. I am looking at the Pirelli Diablos and Metzler Sportec M-1s... Bout $10 difference in price, not sure what the difference in the tires themselves are, if any. Funny- I thought the Pirellis would be a lot higher than that.

Merlin

Anonymous
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 12:58 PM
FYI - their website price is for shipping only. Their walk-in price is about $10 more per tire, and I think mounting is $33/tire on the bike.

TFOG should be able to beat them - we're in negotiations for them to become an official club sponsor. They already have really low prices on tires and are definately worth giving a call (303-216-2400). You can also check out our sponsors (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/sponsors.html) & do some shopping around if TFOG isn't convenient (they're in Golden, near I-70 & 6th Ave).

Edit: Never mind them not being convenient, I just noticed you live in Lakewood - they're right around the corner from you! Tell them Bob (from the CSC) sent you!

Hozerking
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 12:59 PM
look at the BT-45s!

-al

brian38
Wed Nov 26th, 2003, 10:16 PM
I think you can fit a 160 with no problem. If you need to know for sure email me and I will look at the wifes bike. 99% positive I put a 160 on it.

Brian

Hoopty
Mon Dec 1st, 2003, 03:09 PM
Brian, I don't think the Hurricane's and F3's had the same rim, did they? :? 160 will definately fit on an F3, and last I looked your wifey was on a Smokin' Joe's F3. :P

brian38
Mon Dec 1st, 2003, 06:34 PM
My bad, still livin in the 90's. Didn't even notice the "8" in front of the "7"

Brian

Hoopty
Tue Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:15 AM
Sheesh, old people. :P :lol:

brian38
Tue Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:30 AM
Sheesh, old people. :P :lol:

Oh that was wrong! :guns:

Hey, when you gonna step up to one of the '03 R6's we have at the shop?

You know, pick up the pace a bit....

:lol:

Brian

Hoopty
Tue Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:48 AM
(Insert gray hair jokes here) :lol:

I'd sure as hell love to jump on an 03 R6, but I need to pay off this damn credit card before I can even begin to think about a new bike. :cry: Unless of course you'd like to donate to the "Make Hoopty Faster Foundation". :D

brian38
Tue Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
(Insert gray hair jokes here) :lol:

I'd sure as hell love to jump on an 03 R6, but I need to pay off this damn credit card before I can even begin to think about a new bike. :cry: Unless of course you'd like to donate to the "Make Hoopty Faster Foundation". :D

Uh, I could donate a shop vac to get all that dirt out of your lowers from the off track tours you are so fond of. :twisted:

yakuza
Tue Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:20 AM
Uh, I could donate a shop vac to get all that dirt out of your lowers from the off track tours you are so fond of. :twisted:

:spit: :imwithstupid: :lol:

Anonymous
Tue Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:32 AM
Uh, I could donate a shop vac to get all that dirt out of your lowers from the off track tours you are so fond of. :twisted::spit: :lol: :pointlaugh:

That sucks! ;) (pun intended :D )

Hoopty
Tue Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:47 AM

Nonsense!!! The lowers go flying everytime I crash so there's nothing to vacuum. :D :oops:

merlin
Thu Dec 4th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Update:

I talked to the folks over at TFOG today (what's that stand for, anyway?)

Looks like I am going to go with the Avons for the time being ($193 plus $20 M&B: SOLD!) The fellow I talked to was of the opinion I could get F2 wheels on the bike with a few minor modifications, so I am going to be looking for a set of those pretty soon- I'll dink around with getting them to fit while I wait for the Avons to wear out, and then mount the F2 wheels with Metzler Sportecs on em.

On TFOG: I really like those guys. Spent a couple hours BSing, swapping stories and asking silly questions. Wound up being half an hour late for work, but oh well- Man's got to have priorities in life, right?

Merlin

mra828
Thu Dec 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Two
Fat
Old
Guys

geoff

p.s. I have an F2 rear wheel and swingarm if you're looking to see if they'll fit.

Hoopty
Thu Dec 4th, 2003, 11:12 AM
On TFOG: I really like those guys. Spent a couple hours BSing, swapping stories and asking silly questions. Wound up being half an hour late for work, but oh well- Man's got to have priorities in life, right?

Merlin

I've been late to school many a time sitting around and BS'ing with the guys at TFOG too! :oops: :lol: PRIORITIES! :D