PDA

View Full Version : BunBurner Gold Insanity

GSL
Tue Apr 4th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Castle Rock, CO, USA, to Edmonton, Alberta, CA, on or near the last weekend in July. Harry Biker and I are chewin on this. Anyone else game?

PharmerKyle
Tue Apr 4th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I have vacation approved for late July. If'n I pass on Laguna, I'll need something else to pass the time. This definitely sounds worthy. I need to blast through this set of TKC80s and get them replaced with something roadworthy (Metzeler 880s, maybe?).

Mista Black
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I like the metlzer 6 but the 880 is where the milage is at. i might be game....

PharmerKyle
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Do I dare choose the cruiser-iffic whitewalls??

swademaster
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 03:39 PM
:think: It's tempting. Planning to finally do the 1000 miles /24 hours in the beginning of July. I will keep this in mind.

GSL
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
For anyone who does not know, this is probably ONE OF THE HARDEST IBA rides published. I've got quite a few LD rides under my belt, and I do not if I can do this one. The 1500 in 24 hours with Ron a couple years ago kicked my butt! This is double that...

(The guys that do this ride as a triple are just plain SICK! Only half a dozen or so immortals have done the triple.)

All that said, everyone is welcome to come along! :D But this is a RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE, kinda ride.

GSL
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Also, the route is not final. We may decide that Canada border crossings are not in the cards, due to the additional time that they take.

GSL
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM
And finally, here are the pre-requisite rides, according to the IBA website:

Rule #2
Before you can apply for any ride referenced by these rules, you must satisfy the following conditions: To qualify for a Bun-Burner GOLD 3000, CCC GOLD, or Trans Canadian GOLD you must have at least completed one of the following; a Bun-Burner GOLD, the Alberta 2000, Capitol 1000, Nevada 1100, Minnesota 1000, TimberButt, Tarbutt Rally, Utah 1088, any Cognoscente Group event, any Reno BMW Long Distance Event, any MERA event, or the Iron Butt Rally.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Other 24 and 36 hour rallies qualify. Their omission here is not intentional, it is just not possible to list all qualifying rallies. If you are unsure if a rally you finished is acceptable, please contact Michael Kneebone.

I'm guessing that a 50CC counts as well, but Mike has the final say-so.

Harry Biker
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Man, those rules are tough! #4)!
I had never heard of a BBG-Triple! Sweet. For those w/ suicidal ideation perhaps? Please pass the Tabasco sauce for the eyes!

Like you Will, I don't know if I can make this either,(but I'll give it one heck of a try!!) I made 1536 miles barely in 24 hours & that included very spirited desert riding,(but my GS has bad range & no radar detect). If I get the cell,(I will) I think we have a shot @ a 21 hour 1st leg, sleep, start the clock & if we need to sleep more on the 2nd leg we should have @ least 1-2 hours as needed.

Back in the day,when I had a Concours I easily rode 800 miles in 12 hours,(several times en-route to 1K+) that's a 22 hour BBG. I think if we hammered on the 1st leg we could make it in 21 hours

So we need a fast route & I know I-10 is fast! However, if we can match Colorado speed North, WY/MT-ish
My vote is to stay North of I-80 as much as possible or @ least avoid the desert heat. Perhaps we should hit Canada?

Thoughts?
Can you meet in Monument/ Palmer Lake or the B-Snort this weekend to look over an atlas?

GSL
Thu Apr 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Can't meet this weekend (headin to NM for some dirt riding). But here's a route I measured out last night:

Denver to Omaha, NE
Omaha to Fargo
Fargo to Wallace, ID
Wallace to Denver

I think the total was around 3020 miles.

All interstate (I hate that fact, but it will alllow for a high average speed). Stays north which will be important in the summer months). Stays West, of the Mississippi River (low population densities).

Dietrich_R1
Thu Apr 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
OUCH.... Just did some quick calcs! 63.3 MPH must be maintained for 48 hours just to make it!!!!!!!!

My ass gets sore just sitting in the chair too long at work... :lol:

GSL
Thu Apr 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Man, those rules are tough! #4)!
I had never heard of a BBG-Triple! Sweet. For those w/ suicidal ideation perhaps? Please pass the Tabasco sauce for the eyes!

Like you Will, I don't know if I can make this either,(but I'll give it one heck of a try!!) I made 1536 miles barely in 24 hours & that included very spirited desert riding,(but my GS has bad range & no radar detect). If I get the cell,(I will) I think we have a shot @ a 21 hour 1st leg, sleep, start the clock & if we need to sleep more on the 2nd leg we should have @ least 1-2 hours as needed.

Back in the day,when I had a Concours I easily rode 800 miles in 12 hours,(several times en-route to 1K+) that's a 22 hour BBG. I think if we hammered on the 1st leg we could make it in 21 hours

So we need a fast route & I know I-10 is fast! However, if we can match Colorado speed North, WY/MT-ish
My vote is to stay North of I-80 as much as possible or @ least avoid the desert heat. Perhaps we should hit Canada?

Thoughts?
Can you meet in Monument/ Palmer Lake or the B-Snort this weekend to look over an atlas?

I agree with you on the times. I generally PLAN my LD rides around a 3hour/200miles average. That's rolling time and does include stopping for gas. Stopping-to-sleep-time is on top of that.

When I did the second leg of my 100CCC, I averaged 3hr/200mi, and that one included 2 1/2 hours of sleep in central Texas. That equated to a moving average of 71 mph (all interstate).

Doing all the math I will plan for 3hr/200mi for this ride, or 45 hours of rolling, allowing for 3 hours of sleep. This average speed I know I can do at a minimum. An increase in average rolling speed will translate into more sleep, but will only be used at the end of the first leg. If I get into the end of the first leg early, I plan to sleep right up until the gun goes off for the start of the second leg. The location for the midpoint checkpoint should ideally be someplace where we can park the bikes and sleep next to them SAFELY. I prefer well-lit rest areas, State Park picnic grounds (sometimes the ranger gets to be your alarm clock ;) ), or dark, dark, very dark, dirt roads leading into National Forests. Depending on the time of day or night, some low volume truck stops also work. If it's got too much truck traffic, you wake up everytime one of the trucks blows the air out of their brakes. The area up around Wallace, ID, should be ideal for many options. I hope to stay away from metro areas for the midpoint.

For time verification, just fill up the tank halfway when we roll in (to get the first receipt) and top it off as we roll out (to get the second leg starting receipt).

GSL
Thu Apr 6th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Depending on the mapping program your use, Wallace, ID, may come up short of a 3K by about 5 miles (I guess it all depends on where we start in Denver, but I'd rather err on the "ride too much" side). A better location might be the next exit down the road in Kellogg, ID. Possibly get a room at the Super 8 for a couple hours, and wake up with a shower. 8)

swademaster
Thu Apr 6th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I think I'll get my first Iron Butt ride in before I plan on this one. I don't know how I will handle 1000 miles in a day on the TL, let alone 3000 in two.

Harry Biker
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Dude!

I love the route! Fine job.

Remember that we'll start in Castle Rock, so that'll add some miles.
There's a Diamond Shamrock that I think is 24 hours @ the 2nd exit just west of I-25,(I'll confrim that this weekend). We could start the clock there. Our traveling speed is very compatable as you described mysteady & quick, but more relaxed pace to a tee! I will have the option to travel quicked with the longer range.

Are we a go for 7/28 say 0200? I figure that way we can plan on pulling in for some sleep when it's still dark,(plus the time change should be in our favor. We can "play it by ear" re: a hotel or not,(which would be my vote especially if we have > 3 hours-which will be an extreme push). If we only have 2 hours or so, I do have a "Screaming Meanie", but the thing scares me so much I may not fall asleep!

Swade, if you do not get your SS1K in prior to this date, you are welcome to roll 500 miles to Omaha w/us & then do a U-turn! Likley by 9:30AM, you'd be heading home!

Harry Biker
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Just thinking about that "triple"BBG again...

You know, the triple,(successful) sets the stage of course for the quad & the quad would take the record away from Mr. Eagan!!!!

Have you ever thought about that?

If my neck holds up on this ride,(big if)...he's going down! I think a 100 hour UCC is doable.

Speaking of Alsaka, when are you going? '07??

swademaster
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Swade, if you do not get your SS1K in prior to this date, you are welcome to roll 500 miles to Omaha w/us & then do a U-turn! Likley by 9:30AM, you'd be heading home!

That is a very good possibility if I don't get it done before then.

swademaster
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I remembered tonight that I will be in Omaha the last weekend of July anyway. I have to go to a wedding for my wife's cousin.

Someday I will get to do one of these long rides with you guys.

Mista Black
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM
i've done a bbg and it's hell!! but my dad (who was with me) dropped the speed WAY back toward the end of the day.

GSL
Mon Apr 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Just a quick update...

I realized as I was explaining the route to Dan that Wallace or Kellogg , ID, is nowhere near the midpoint. The midpoint will be somewhere out in the middle of Montana. :shock: :oops:

Wallace could still be the turn around point.

Will revisit the maps tonight...

GSL
Mon Apr 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Looks like the midpoint of the loop is around Forsyth, MT. Forsyth looks like a nice little farm town with a park down by the river which may provide a nice place to sleep out next to the bikes...

If this loop sounds good, I'll call the gas station and verify that they have 24 Hour Pay at the Pump.

Harry Biker
Tue Apr 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Will,
Lock & load!!!
The only thing that will keep you solo is my frickin neck. Bought a new shoulder 3 yrs ago, back 2 yrs ago, will get the neck next winter. Call me Frickin Harry Frankenstein Biker! Butt, I'm gonna roll no matter what. My cervical traction machine is portable-yipeekaiyea.

Need witnesses @ start, mid & end.

Henry, are you gonna witness, ride with, do your own thing?
Nick Ninja are you hip to witness,(when you should be in a warm comfy bed)? If needed, my step dad is IBA as well,(but he'd come down from Black HawK) & I think for this ride, we use the IBA-ers.

Will,
You're a seasoned IBA-er, can you work on this especially for the mid point, which is the most important one?

swademaster
Tue Apr 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I may be able to set you up with a witness in Omaha. My brother lives there and could probably help out, depending when you go through.

GSL
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Harry,

I think getting a start or finish witness will be realtively easy.
a) I know a fireman in Castle Rock (firemen/police are certified witnesses)
b) My wife is a certified IBA member
c) Dan's wife is an certified IBA member

I think we should both focus on the the midpoint witness, because it may be particularly difficult, given the location. We probably need to:

a) decide if Forsyth, MT is the place
b) set the date in stone
c) decide on the start time for the entire ride - this will dictate a window of time(s) that we need someone at the midpoint. I don't think it's reasonable to ask someone to be there at 2am. So I think our overall start time needs to be before 10 pm at night or after 5am in the morning (just for the sake of those who we might be asking to help us).

Once these are decided, I will contact the MTF and try to arrange a witness from their list. There is almost always a Ride-To-Eat going on, somewhere, every weekend. Maybe one of those crazies could swing by Montana on their way... :D

Nick_Ninja
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Will,
Lock & load!!!
The only thing that will keep you solo is my frickin neck. Bought a new shoulder 3 yrs ago, back 2 yrs ago, will get the neck next winter. Call me Frickin Harry Frankenstein Biker! Butt, I'm gonna roll no matter what. My cervical traction machine is portable-yipeekaiyea.

Need witnesses @ start, mid & end.

Henry, are you gonna witness, ride with, do your own thing?
Nick Ninja are you hip to witness,(when you should be in a warm comfy bed)? If needed, my step dad is IBA as well,(but he'd come down from Black HawK) & I think for this ride, we use the IBA-ers.

Will,
You're a seasoned IBA-er, can you work on this especially for the mid point, which is the most important one?

Yeah ---- I can witness your Insanity Expedition. Post up a time and place --- oh, and post up a map of your route too.

Harry Biker
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Swade,
Your a good man. However, we'll need the witnees 1000 miles beyond Omaha, but I appreciate the thought.

Jeff, you know your a stud & I will likely take you up on your offer,(I'd prefer a Butter vs an officer as I know the Butt will reply to Mr. Kneebone should they come a calling). However, we may need both,(end witness etc)
I do not however know how to post up the route, but Will must?
If it helps you out,(now I'm sounding like Will, ;) I can change the travel days to Sat/Sun, not the planned Fri/Sat,(not sure if you can or not Will, but either way, I'm taking a 3 day weekend & plan to sleep just a little post insanity.
Henry will witness. I know he owes Jeff post wadding himself,(sorry HT) & they can have breakfast together or ride the 1st 200 with us & well, I think he owes me a witness or two as well. Besides, he'll already be awake!

Well Will,(that's kinda fun to say) of your 2 times offered, I'll have to choose 5AM-sharp though, so we blow through D w/o any traffic. Also, that pretty much guarantees us darkness & quiet @ say 3AM local time MT. vs 8pm Friday night w/ all them drunken cowpokes getting ready to go two steppin.

Mid-point is darn close to Forsyth aka (Ralph) & it appears Billings is right @ 1600 miles. Surely we can find an LD Rider/IBA out of that city. I know I can find one in the MC touring forum group. I'm sure I'll get my 10th wind around there & could push on to Custer or similar so the IBA-er would only have a 50 miler,(1 way)

Not that's it's needed,( I only have 1 moving violation in this country with owning an XX & Busa & playing as a kid with a W30 package 442!!) but do you run radar? Funny story though...Old Dietrich got tagged x 2 on my old XX & I on his ZX11 never got tagged! Too slow of a bike I suppose.
Also do you have a CB? I have the later.

GSL
Thu Apr 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Dan and I took a close look at the route last night and I will try to get it posted tonight. We nailed it right down to some very specific gas stations and one of the legs was right at 1502.9 miles... 8)

The turn point on I-90 near the Montana-Idaho border is Haugan, MT. There's a gas station next to the 10,000 Silver Dollar Bar. Interesting place - they have 10,000 real silver dollars laquered right into the surface of the bar.

Route started at the southern-most exit of Castle Rock, and had to route thru Council Bluffs, not just Omaha. Harry, just out of curiosity, why did you select Castle Rock? Is that where you live? It doesn't matter to me either way. Dan and I will likely start our ride in Woodland Park and pick you up wherever you choose to start. Castle Rock is just cutting it close... ;) If we do start at 5am, you're more than welcome to come down the night before and crash here. Then, Jen or Beth could sign us out. Beth (Dan's wife) is going for her BBGold in about 3 weeks. 8)

I can do Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun. Either way, it'll require a 3-day weekend (Fri or Mon off).

As for riding farkles, I don't run radar or CB, but I think Dan does CB. I just listen to tunes. 8) I guess I don't really speed all that much either. I pretty much ride with traffic, so right around 80. I've got my gas stops down to 5 minutes (with practice) and I eat and drink while riding. Camel back bladder in the tank bag and a bag full of beef jerky and I'm good to go. I don't start taking in water until about 50 miles before the next gas stop. Gas and drain, all in one stop, usually about every 240 miles.

The distances between gas stations on this ride are a little bit wacky, because of the spacing. Varies anywhere from 190 to 234. Couldn't get a nice consistent 230 worked out. As always, I carry 2 liters in my luggage, just in case I hit a VERY STRONG headwind, like on I-10 in western Texas... :x I've heard eastern Montana can be similar. What the range on your bike?

GSL
Thu Apr 13th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Day 1
1503 miles

Start - Southern exit of Castle Rock, CO
Turn - Council Bluffs, IA (just east of Omaha, NE)
Turn - Moorhead or Dilworth, MN (first or second exit east of Fargo)
End - Forsyth, MT

In addition to gas gas stops for the start, end and turn points, other intermediate gas stops along the way in:
Julesburg, CO
Kearney, NE
Brookings, SD
Bismarck, ND
Glendive, MT

http://eurobikedenver.smugmug.com/photos/64335465-L.jpg

GSL
Thu Apr 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Day 2
1548 miles

Start - Forsyth, MT
Turn around at Haugan, MT
Turn south at Billings, MT
End Castle Rock, CO (or anywhere within 48 miles north of there)

Alternate
Turn around Superior, MT
Finish the ride in Colorado Springs

http://eurobikedenver.smugmug.com/photos/64335467-L.jpg

GSL
Thu Apr 13th, 2006, 07:32 PM
A final alternate route for Day 2 could be:

Start - Forsyth, MT
Turn around in Missoula
Head south to Salt Lake City
Head east to Cheyenne, Wy
Head south to Castle Rock

However, this route is only 1497 miles
Getting off for gas stops will likely add the necessary 3 additional miles, but ending in Monument instead of Castle Rock would remove any doubt for the IBA officials.

OldKneeDragger
Thu Apr 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM
:shock: BBG3K :lol: Hmmm, you guys trying to keep all the fun to your self or what?

I've been looking at some various routes to do the same thing and the urge is strong :oops:

towneh
Fri Apr 14th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Greetings GSL, Harry Biker, and all LDRs...

That is a nice looking plan with enough buffer mileage to satisfy iba. I use the same software for my planning, preferring to make each estimated fuel stop as an intermediate point for 8 minutes. You know the route up there...

my two-wheeler is moving along on the mend to full recovery with minor details (like re-mounting my radar detector on my windscreen, verifying my plumbing on my aux tank, some long time running on my aux lamps, and adjusting my rearset for my usual touring postitions...). I hope to tweak this a bit this weekend but I don't know If I'd be fully confident by the date you'e set for this tour.... rest assured, if nothing else I will do whatever it takes to be a witness.

onward,
Henry

Harry Biker
Fri Apr 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I picked CR for the start as it's somewhat in between us. I did not want to ride down to WP & then back as I'm gonna need all the rest I can get for this monster of a ride. I appreciate the offer to crash @ your house & it's been awhile since I last slept close to your wife,(kidding although you know it's true !) but the thought of having insomnia prior to departure is a real possibility,(just ask the Busa boy).

Old knee...time to play too?

Will our riding styles are similar & with the same engine,(although mines faster) ;) Also gas stops when I'm in a zone, I've done 4 minutes. It sounds like Dan's going. Old knee may come out too. If Henry goes, that should be the max limit as we do not want to struggle at gas stations time wise. If you do not ride Henry & being the engineer you are, I know you can have that Falcon ready to ride by then so quit farkling around.
BTW, I'm looking to human power it tomorrow for "the loop" if you can ride, call me on my cell & we can do a slow 25 miler & meet @ the usual.

Currently, my GS is only getting around 200 miles. I have a taller screen as well & @ speed it may be less. The most I ever got was 225 & I was on fumes. I will however have a fix in time for the ride & am still deciding if I want to go huge for the 10.8 gallon Touratech or a aux cell. The large tank is pretty pricey, but then I can add custom paint so we'll see.

Thanks for all the work on the mapping issue. If Henry goes, he owes you a beer! If not, I suppose I owe you.
L8r.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Apr 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM
HT --- if you dont go on the asswhip ride wanna go up and do Lolo Pass (ID 12), hang in the hot springs, and ride back with these yo-yo's? :D

GSL
Fri Apr 14th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Hi Ron! :hibye: 8)

OldKneeDragger
Fri Apr 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Hello Will & Harry :lol: Are you still thinking end of July? I've got a short attention span :oops: I'm trying to line out a few good rides and would enjoy riding with you if you will have me and I don't have anything else going at the time.

towneh
Fri Apr 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Ah, ha!!! the engineering challenge! my aux tank plumbing seems fine so far. Today, I ran my 5.3 main empty and my 4.0 from the aux to refill it; i'm at 260 miles with half of the main left. no drips or excessive odors! i plan on loading up and running somemore tomorrow to play with my new rearset. aux lamps are doin fine; no shorts! I'll put my gps and detector on my stem mount.

I'm gonna do some practice packing to see if I can get what I need down to my Stich pockets and my double-high tankbag.... the minimalist approach....

insomnia.... yessss, i rememberthat ;) Will, I'm adding your proposed fuel stops to my copy of your maps --- my stops filling both tanks (w/o whizzing/drinking/eating) take about 8 minutes. I killed my last helmet that was suited for enroute drinks -- nutz!

Harry B, my rib-to-spine connects aren't ready for the twist-and-load efforts of bicycling yet! I will play no-load with the Busa in the morning....

I will see if I can put in for vaca for the July 28th thru 31st next monday

workin' on it,
Haya Henry

Harry Biker
Sat Apr 15th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Most Excellent!!!!!
Welcome aboard Ron & Henry! That I believe w/ Dan makes 5.

So Jeff, what exactly is your range on the ZZR?? :idea: Don;t you want to see Fargo my good man? Then Lolo's just the next state over. Never say Die!

Got my MRI for free yesterday! Looks good enough the crack it good! I think I'll be around for this little putt after all. :D

So, here's what I know & it ain't a whole lot...

1)Most of us can get a 3 day weekend. The initial plan was to leave 0500 Friday 7/28/06. Be back in my comfy bed by 0545 7/30/06,(unless we have the celebratory breakfast which might be desired depending on how we feel)-great breakfast burritos @ Santiagos in CR) I can still do this one.
However...
If we rolled instead 24 hours later, we'll miss out on 1 "bar time" aka < drunks & may also have less traffic to deal with so let's take a vote & lock that in.

2) Nick Ninja is going to be 1 witness @ the start unless he decides he's STILL a butter & wants to ride too. For entertainment we can watch the ZZR suck up the FJR whilst the Busa hits 3rd gear,(not sure what Dan rides) I'm pretty certain I can get my step dad to witness @ least once, so check on the FF's schedule & we can maybe just knock on his station's door,(I did that in San Diego & the witch told me it was too early-6am & slammed the door in my face!)

3) sleeping arrangements- my preferance would be a bed, but only if I had @ least 3 hours + a shower. So, my vote will be dependant on time. 2 hrs or < then I'll have to use the dreaded meanie & a sleeping bag,(unless it's raining). I suppose there's a small chance we could actually find a LD rider to let a bunch of us crash in their garage or something.

4) Lastly, since we don't all know each other, perhaps we could do 1-2 rides of @ least a full tank of gas & time ourselves etc. Cabellas anyone?

Nick_Ninja
Sat Apr 15th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I get 2 fiddy per tank. I don't have the prerequisites to get Kneebone to sign off on my successful accomplishment if I did go. I just have a quarter of a million miles on two wheels over thirty years and two IBA SS1K's (one of which I never sent in the paperwork for :D)

GSL
Sat Apr 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I guess my vote is still for Friday, 5 am. Two reasons:

1. That means we're riding Friday and Saturday, and if anyone has bike problems, motorcycle shops will be open each day. If someone has a bike problem an a Sunday, they're gonna be SOL for parts until Tuesday.

2. We still haven't found an "end of ride" witness. If someone has to ride in to witness our finish, Sunday morning will be better because they won'y have conflicts with getting to work the same day.

The midpoint, Forsyth, MT, looks like a pretty small town. I'm not too worried about drunks out and about at 1-2am when we roll into town. Actually, dexonline.com didn't reveal ANY bars in town.

Here's some basic info on Forsyth, Montana:

Population:
1,944 (2000 census)

Lodging options:
http://www.forsythmontana.org/lodging.htm

Gas options:
Kum & Go
1017 Front St.
Forsyth, MT 59327
406-356-2885
Clerk available 24 x 7
Pay at Pump 24 x 7
Confirmed 4/15/06 by phone

Town Pump
974 Front St.
Forsyth, MT 59327
406-356-7952
Clerk available 24 x 7
Pay at Pump 24 x 7
Confirmed 4/15/06 by phone

From the weather almanac:
Peak rainy season in Forsyth is May (2.35" avg.) July is 1.43" average for the month. Average high temps around 90. Lows around 60.

towneh
Sat Apr 15th, 2006, 09:18 PM
>> i'm there for Friday departure @ 0500 (recovery period on Sunday)

>> i can sleep anywhere/anytime in the 'Stich (picnic table or my short tarp)

>> i have my own 110db Screamer

>> i sleep and ride with earplugs; I sleep like a chainsaw!

>> an intro-ride would be a great idea

today's ride put my aux plumbing on the "ready" list (range was 325 with mix of city/hwy) , my aux lamps are fine. i'll tweak my rear brake pedal angle again tomorrow. i'm still trimming my packlist to fit my 'Stich and tall tankbag.

if we end leg #1 in "Ralph" @ about 0200, start leg #2 @ 0500, we should be done around 0200 --- we'd need a "very" special end witness :D

onward,
Haya Henry

OldKneeDragger
Sat Apr 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM
In the for what it's worth column... according to the IronButt web there are only 71 people who have done the BBG3K, 2 of those actually did the BBG triple (I know that there are at least 2 more that are waiting on verification). The BBG is definitely a tuff ride and a BBG3K will be a real personal challenge for everybody, regardless of prior experiences.

I sorted the list and found that the bikes used for the BBG3K do not include ANY Suzuki's so my hat is off to anybody who would take the Busa... I have a fuel cell for my ZX12 but for this ride I think I will stick to the proven FJR.

BMW 32
HD 2
Honda 27
Kawasaki 2
Triumph 1
Yamaha 7

Just as a point of interest, there are only 8 people (and one passenger) who have done a Border to Border to Border ride between Canada and Mexico and back. Six of the 8 actually had 3K plus miles and got listed as both the Border to Border Insanity and the BBG 3000.

There is also a ride planned for early July in Nevada where a group will be doing a 24 hour all the miles that you can ride. Of course you will never be listed as more than 1800 miles in 24 hours but I expect that there will be a few 1800+ world record holder plates issued as a result of that ride.

I tried to do the famed "Blister" ride in Nevada a couple of years ago when they did a mass BBG3K ride but after 18 hours and 1500 miles I had completely burned up a brand new ME880 rear tire on the ZX12R (showing the metal bands). It was fun but I failed miserably in the group ride.

Harry Biker
Tue Apr 18th, 2006, 09:24 AM
My apologies Jeff. I actually thought about the pre-reqs after my post.
Still would enjoy some miles w/ you & you clearly have the range to hang for as long as you desire. Only 1/4 million??better get to riding ;)

So it sounds to me like 0500 on 7/28/06 Castle Rock,(Diamond Shamrock 2nd exit just west of 1-25) it is!!!!!
Jeff, are you 100% gonna witness the start?

Nice to know the CSC has so many accomplished LD riders that "know the feeling" (a-hem) such as monkey butt.

As far as the world record in 24 hours, many years ago a rider did 1970 miles. I'm sure he was bummed to not get that extra 30 in. Perhaps this has been beat?

Nick_Ninja
Tue Apr 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM
My apologies Jeff. I actually thought about the pre-reqs after my post.
Still would enjoy some miles w/ you & you clearly have the range to hang for as long as you desire. Only 1/4 million??better get to riding ;)

So it sounds to me like 0500 on 7/28/06 Castle Rock,(Diamond Shamrock 2nd exit just west of 1-25) it is!!!!!
Jeff, are you 100% gonna witness the start?

Nice to know the CSC has so many accomplished LD riders that "know the feeling" (a-hem) such as monkey butt.

As far as the world record in 24 hours, many years ago a rider did 1970 miles. I'm sure he was bummed to not get that extra 30 in. Perhaps this has been beat?

I'll witness the start.

GSL
Tue Apr 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
...7/28/06 Castle Rock,(Diamond Shamrock 2nd exit just west of 1-25) it is!!!!!...

Harry? "2nd exit"? Coming from which direction? :guns: Maybe we should be explicit with the address for us guys coming in from out of town. :lol:

According to dexonline, there is a Diamond Shamrock at 310 S. Wilcox, which is at the exit at the south edge of town (first exit coming from the south, third exit coming from the north). But that's just EAST of I-25. Is that the one you are referring to? It sure doesn't sound right...

Nick_Ninja
Tue Apr 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Meet at the Village Inn -- it's by a couple of Gas ports and there is no problem finding it. I will be having breakfast there --- no matter when you guys plan on departing (West side coming from the north).

I might ride out to Sterling and go north to Cabalas ----- and then meet you up in Idaho somewhere :D

towneh
Wed Apr 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM
are there any plans for the intro-ride this weekend ??? i found my stemstand for my gps/ipod and installed my windscreen radar mount. in my packing trial I found that there is a hole in one of my side-pockets for my tankbag.... oh well, bag-of-bags will work just fine!!! my vaca has been approved.
let me know what goes,
Haya Henry

OldKneeDragger
Thu Apr 20th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Warm up calisthenics? How about doing a little in state SS? I doubt if many of the IBA Colorado state pins have been handed out yet. This is another of those little things that Wil will probably want to collect  http://www.ironbutt.org/staterides/statepins4.jpg . So to make it interesting are you interested in doing something like this: (1043 miles by MapPoint)
http://images.sportbikes.org/coloradoss.jpg
The interesting parts of the ride would be from Dinasor to Durango along the Western side of the range. The bad parts would be Durango to Walsenburg which has lots of trafic and heavily patroled. I figure it's about a 16 hour ride if we keep moving :)

GSL
Thu Apr 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Looks fun, Ron. 8) I can't do it this weekend, but could possibly fit it in next weekend.

Dan and I did a nice little 760 miler this past Sunday and there is still plenty of snow on the shoulders of most high passes...

http://mapmaker.smugmug.com/photos/65020194-L.jpg

OldKneeDragger
Thu Apr 20th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Interesting loop you did... My Sunday ride was a little shorter (675 miles) including the passes at Monarch, Slumgullion, Spring Creek, Wolf Creek, Cumbres, and La Veta :lol: It was really quite pleasant, cool enough for riding gear but not cold enough to need electrics. Roads were a bit sandy in places but it was a lot of fun.

So, not to side track your BBG3K but an instate SS sounds like fun just to get everybody in the right mood :D Pick the day :o

GSL
Thu Apr 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Yep, Spring Creek Pass was a bit, ahem, exciting... :shock:
A little sand/gravel in the corners raised the pucker factor at least once.

What time were you out there? We left WP at 5am sharp, and had sunrise on Monarch, and lunch in Ouray :D . Man, I love early morning in the Rockies...

OldKneeDragger
Thu Apr 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
That sounds like summer hours! My rides don't normally start until about 7:00 AM after a good breakfast... maybe that's why I am getting so fat :shock: It took me a while to take care of some business before I left so I didn't hit the road till about 10:30 in the morning, got home shortly after sun down. I was also worried about possible ice on the passes and wanted to wait till the roads had warmed a bit.

towneh
Thu Apr 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM
greetings all ldr,
both look like great circuits and I'm sure time is a premium to all; let's just pick a place to meet and do a bit of road-time together..... we don't need any stinkin' documentation for this sort o thing...... :lol:
Bus-Henry

OldKneeDragger
Fri Apr 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
It's Friday evening and been a hard week. I got to ride :oops: I think I will do my loop around Colorado tomorrow. Just let me know if anybody would like to come along :lol:

Harry Biker
Sat Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:14 AM
HT,
I may be up for a neck test ride Sunday to Cabellas,(want to view a kayak as well). Neck is feeling really good @ the moment, but am heading out to ride Left Hand Canyon on the Sexy Giant so that may change. Also, need to get in a quick ride early AM as well, so if you can ride, it'd be a later start than normally for me.

I gots me (2) of those CO ss1k state pins '00 & '04,(albeit from CO Freewheelers & not IBA). Nice RAT pin coming in a few weeks to those that "Ride around Texas"!

Will, there's 3 exits to CR. Thus the 2nd exit works for both of us(heading north or south). However, since the Southern exit is a whopping 1-2 miles away, I'm fine with starting the clock there if that's what'd you'd like. My guess is the ride itself will have enough stress, so to get all riled up over the correct directions I gave seems petty,( albeit, no address-but not everyone desires to be so anal & since the ride is > 3 months out, I'm certain that issue would've been taken care of).
Also, I think your guns fired blanks. Next time try a Para-Ordnance 40 cal high mag!

GSL
Sat Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
Riled up? Petty? Anal?!? Sounds like a winning combination for LD riding... :lol: :lol:

Actually, I prefer the term "Successfully detail-oriented." :D

Harry Biker
Sat Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Agreed well said.

I think we need to assign? someone to take the lead on finding that mid-point witness. Just so I'm clear, do we need 2 witness all the time,(start mid end)?

Also, is everyone planning on bedding down,(if we make good time) in Forsythe? I know we need the mid-point witness close- 1500 miles in,(@ least 1500 in) or does anyone think @ this point they may continue on after we shut off the clock on leg 1?,(depending on how they feel).

I know I can get 1 end witness. Will, is your wife also willing to take that on,(end witness) as needed?
We do have Jeff for the start,(Thank you). So let's try to lock in the 2nd start witness soon.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Jeff will witness your start.

Harry Biker
Sun Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Just got confirmation that my step father,(IBA) will witness us start or finish or both. I think he'll join you likely for breakfast Jeff on the start & may ride out to Sydney NB. as well. In fact, I may join you for breakfast as well,(what's an extra 30')? However, that'll be a last minute decision-I'm sure you understand.

Harry Biker
Sun Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Henry,
I see you logged in, call me on my cell & we'll catch a quick putt. Currently 1:30 PM.
H

towneh
Sun Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
all.
the URL for the witness list is as follows:
http://www.saddlesore.com/witness/witness.htm

unfortunately, Helena is the nearest iba witness... so we might have to rely on an officer and/or fireman for our witness(es) at our mid-point.
Forsyth is small.
Bus Henry

GSL
Mon Apr 24th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Forsyth is small.

Maybe too small, and too remote. Someone toss out some different routes.

towneh
Tue Apr 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM
and now for something completely different.... :lol:

i've been looking at combo-trips with MS s&t along with the postings for available witnesses..... Vancouver is plentiful with witnesses....

leaving Castlerock, northward to Cheyenne, west on 80, 84, 82, 90, north on 5 to Vancouver for our mid-point. then turn south on 5, east on 90, and south on 25, returning to Castlerock. rough estimate amounts to nearly 3050 miles. i'm working on it. sometimes fuel gets tough to find in Wyo :D

Bus Henry

GSL
Wed Apr 26th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Sounds promising! :)

I know a Bill Watts in Vancouver and he could probably provide witness(es) and logistics of the area if needed. He signed us in on the TCGold.

The border crossing into Canada should not be taken lightly. I-5 might tack on 45 minutes (although at 2 am it might be no big deal). Bill had us go to the next crossing to the east during daylight hours and we got thru in about 10 minutes.

Harry Biker
Wed Apr 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'm game for pretty much anything.
Although as previously stated I'd prefer to avoid the seriously hot temps, should we decide that works best, accessing mid-point witnesses would be easier, including either family or a certain CSC rider in Phoenix,
i.e, CR to Cali,(better hit it around 3AM) then over to Dietrich's house for leg 1.

I also have contacts in Texas & Ohio & LA as needed.

Henry, any idea what speed we need to maintain for a 21 hour 1500?

towneh
Wed Apr 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM
any idea what speed we need to maintain for a 21 hour 1500?

my software has the following settings:
interstate hwy -- 75mph
limited access -- 65mph
other hwys -- 55mph
arterial roads -- 45mph
streets -- 35mph

using the route that i described... north stretch was about 21hr 38 min with 8 min fuel stops (4ea)
I haven't done the south stretch yet ;?}

**what does this weekend offer for a gathering to trial ride and talk the route options ????

**yo**
bus henry

Harry Biker
Wed Apr 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Is the answer 71.5 mph overall speed what I'm looking for?
That extremely difficult, but doable-maybe. I think that only takes into account moving time.
If we have 7 pit stops @ 8 minutes each, then I think are moving speed needs to be: a whopping 75 mph +.

Wait, now I'm confusing myself. I think the 1st answer is correct & that takes into account everything, as long as we're moving 71.5 miles every hour, we should make the 1st leg in 21 hours.

You can tell I'm a math wiz!

I've never been faster than 70 mph before, but think I've been 68 & sustained that with stops.

I think your 8 minutes is a tad too long. Remember, you do not need to go beyond 250/fillup. Thus I'm certain you should be able to knock some time off that or get smoked by the blistering fast GS, that will look even uglier as it passes you! ;)

Ron, I think you should crash @ Henry's if you're still down in Pueblo. You don't mind snoring do you?

MapMaker
Wed Apr 26th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Just a quick post to say I've finally made it to the forum.

I'll go back and re-read all the posts in this thread to get back up to speed, but I'm game for any route we put together.

FYI Will -- Bill Watt is in Vancouver, BC. The other route is Vancouver, WA, across the bridge from Portland, 0R. :)

KneeDragger (Ron?) -- did you do your CO SS1K this weekend? If not, I'd like to ride it with you.

Dan

OldKneeDragger
Wed Apr 26th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Dan, I did my little ride last weekend http://www.star-traxx.com/TripReport.asp?TripID=484416698. I'm always up for a ride and it's only a short running start to do a SS1K in New Mexico, Kansas, or even Wyoming. Speaking of which, Bear Tooth Pass should be opening up in another month of so, I wonder if it survived the winter better than last year...

I'm not sure how I want to handle the start of the big ride. With the clock starting and witnesses at CR it is a toss up between a good nights sleep an hour away at home, or trying to get a good nights sleep away from home. I figure the following night will be tough enough.

towneh
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 05:28 AM
HB et al.
75 mph is the target average that needs to be maintained. yer ugly GS can blow-by if you need to; i'm not too proud! ;) i need my 8 min stops event to make the 250mi/stop.... my gps trip display includes the average speed. that being said, i'll have a good idea when i start to "fall behind" the rest of you. :shock: simply said, "I will do the best I can."
--Hayabusa Henry(w/o Givis this time around)--
snore central is open to guests,

GSL
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 06:30 AM
FYI Will -- Bill Watt is in Vancouver, BC. The other route is Vancouver, WA, across the bridge from Portland, 0R. :)

Hi Dan! :hibye:

"leaving Castlerock, northward to Cheyenne, west on 80, 84, 82, 90, north on 5 to Vancouver for our mid-point"

I'm pretty sure Henry was referring to Vancouver, BC, but then again, what the hell do I know... :lol:

GSL
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Hey Dan,

On a separate note, do you still have a track log from our ride across Canada? I'm curious what our overall time was for the first 3000 miles of that ride.

Granted, it was Canada, the pace was slower, lots of cities (and nightmarish traffic in Montreal) and it was pissing down rain for the first 10 hours.

Maybe a time for the last 3000 miles (sans the Regina blunder :lol: ) would be better...

MapMaker
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 07:04 AM
"I'm pretty sure Henry was referring to Vancouver, BC, but then again, what the hell do I know... "

If that's the case, then I'd opt for Calgary. Much simpler border crossing and we would not have to deal with Seattle area traffic twice.

BTW, I'm going to need a tutorial on how to use this site -- way too many bells and wistles.

Dan

MapMaker
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM
GSL wrote: "On a separate note, do you still have a track log from our ride across Canada? I'm curious what our overall time was for the first 3000 miles of that ride."

If I still have them, I'll have to dig up my receipts to see what our time was as I don't have a track log (2610 cannot create one that long). Calgary was right around 3000 miles and I know we were still making good time then.

Dan

towneh
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
&quot;I'm pretty sure Henry was referring to Vancouver, BC, but then again, what the hell do I know... &quot;

If that's the case, then I'd opt for Calgary. Much simpler border crossing and we would not have to deal with Seattle area traffic twice.

BTW, I'm going to need a tutorial on how to use this site -- way too many bells and wistles.

Dan

Yes, Henry was opting for Vancouver, BC ;?}

**i've gotta figure out how to upload my map.
**i'll try to prep a route with the Calgry crossing

--later--
Bus Henry

towneh
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 12:42 PM
when you say "Calgry crossing" are you talking about Coutts, Alb ???? :shock:

--shades of my bord-to-bord_insanity-- :lol:
cheers,
Henry

MapMaker
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 05:26 PM
"when you say "Calgry crossing" are you talking about Coutts, Alb ????"

Yup, or Sweetgrass, Montana.

I'd prefer to keep this ride in the US, as I'm sure we are going to have enough trouble dealing with potential construction zone delays without having to worry about the potential for a long delay to exit/enter the country.

Let me play with Streets and Trips a bit and see what I can come up with........

Dan

MapMaker
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
OK, new route idea.

CSprings to Bellingham. It's roughly 1524 to Bellingham and we would be hitting the Seattle area around 1-2am. Departure at 4am on Saturday would not put us into any bad traffic as it will be a Saturday morning.

There should be plenty of IBA witnesses in the area who could sign us in/out, so that problem is solved as well.

Thoughs?

http://mapmaker.smugmug.com/photos/66618456-L.jpg

MapMaker
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Will, here is our total riding stats for our trip across Canada. I haven't started digging for the receipts that have the detailed stop info, but I'm sure they are around here someplace......

http://mapmaker.smugmug.com/photos/66619397-L.jpg

OldKneeDragger
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Just a little personal challenge... What if you tried to make the route going and coming different so we don't have to do the entire road twice. Droning on the free way is already going against my preferred riding style.
http://images.sportbikes.org/bbg3kbellingham.jpg
Anybody interested in a little New Mexico SS this weekend?

MapMaker
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Hey Ron, that route works for me -- I've never been a fan of the super-slab either.

NM SS1K? Got a route picked out?

Dan

towneh
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
yes Ron, you've got some variety there in that one. what is the mileage per leg ??? everything is great so long as fuel sources are there. sometimes there is a lot to be said for consistent fuel sorces with a typical "out n back" sort o' route. this evening i'll put up yer route on my computer with some fueling points :D

later,
Bus Henry

wait a minute.... what am i saying.... I super-slabbed to Coutts on I-15 with my b2b_i !!! :lol: :shock: :|

OldKneeDragger
Thu Apr 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Microsoft MapPoint (same as streets and trips) calcs CR to Bellingham as 1504 miles (a little too close for my comfort) and the return as being 1580 miles (a little more than is necessary). Of course it's really just a matter of documenting the end points and marking a midway with the witness and a place to catch a little rest.

I also created a seperate topic for my SS distractions...

towneh
Fri Apr 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Hi Ron,
I agree with you; 1504 mi is too short. :( might have to put our start/stop point down in the Springs at a 24hr service station to make the distance more plausible for iba standards. i think the fuel range was agreed upon at 225mi or less. do you intend to plot the proposed fuel stops on your map ??? As a precaution, I will layout a copy for the second leg with my fuel range of approx 300mi. ;)

all LDR,
do we want to get together this weekend for some trial-riding or route evaluation ???

OldKneeDragger
Fri Apr 28th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I know this is improper planning and Wil will vouch for my lack of following planned stops :roll: Traveling in Mexico I would have given a small fortune for knowing where fuel stops (and lodging) was when the sun was starting to set and I hadn't passed a Pemex station or any place to stop in 175 miles and I was on the ZX12 with a 175 mile range and still nothing in sight. :|

Still on the Freeways in the States it hard to go more than about 100 miles without seeing fuel and planning fuel stops on the fly offers a little flexibility.

I'd be up for a trial ride on Sunday or we all could just meet somewhere for Breakfast in the Morning to swap ideas...

towneh
Fri Apr 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM
hello Ron et al,

yessss, "lessons learned" regarding planning!!!! :lol: :( all that being said, I wonder if your file can be imported by MS s&t ??? i'd gladly be willing to populate yer map with fuel stops, etc. you could email me a copy to play with if you'd desire (towneh@hotmail.com). I'd rather have posted fuel stops and use my handheld directory for interstate service for "impromptu" needs!! :lol: :roll:

I live in Parker, CO and we need to determine a good mid-point location for all of us (perhaps as a Start/Finish point as well as training ride (?) locale). Aren't you from NM ??? Sunday appears to be the best day of the two.

use the time when you've got it....
Bus Henry 8)

OldKneeDragger
Sat Apr 29th, 2006, 03:31 PM
This is wild, Microsoft MapPoint exports files in the format of .ptt or ptm neither of which will load with my Streets and Trips. Ever since the 2005 issue of S&T you no longer could enter exact speeds for the different types of roads, you can only work a slider bar that has no speed refference. Hence I use my copy of Map Point which is very simular to S&T but supports integration into applications.

Anyway, are you up for a ride tomorrow? send email to ron@neartime.com or call me at 719-251-0140. I'd like to leave early in the morning as we are looking at 1200 miles starting from Pueblo. You are welcome to come down here this evening if you want. Yes, I lived most of my life in New Mexico but got screwed by the state govenement so many times (they owe me many thousands of dollars) and there is no way to fight the govenment and win so I said screw it and left.

Harry Biker
Sun Apr 30th, 2006, 05:22 PM
So I'm still buzzin from our little putt this AM.
Overall average mph @ 77.8mph with lengthy stop,(full pit + 3 minutes waiting on that bus!) & 275 miles!! Not bad for having to blow through Denver x 2!
I think that equates to a 19 hour 20 minute 1st leg!!!

However, I doubt we'll run that fast @ night. Thus, I still feel overall average @ or close to 75 mph is the winning ticket,(not speeding).

Now it's not quite the 83.3 mph overall average you'll need for Nevada, but I can see how that's certainly doable, especially if you had the 400 mile range & no IBA manadatory 350 stop.

OldKneeDragger
Sun Apr 30th, 2006, 05:39 PM
That was a short run that may be hard to equate to a bigger ride. At some point you have to drink lots of liquids and it's nice to eat every once and a while. Even still, I don't think we will have any problem.

Just a suggetion, if everybody would send me thier e-mail address I will create a small private listserver that will allow us to to communicate with each other on issues that might be senstive on the forum.

Wil, did you get the email I sent last night? Do I have the right address for you?

Harry Biker
Sun Apr 30th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I still like the loop through Forsyth. It seems to me the only other large city to deal with is Omaha.
If we push on for 1 more hour to Billings we will find a witness. Yes, we will be on the bike longer, but not as long then on leg 2.

We should be able to make Billings in 22 hours. plenty of time left on the clock to do as you wish, sleep, keep riding whatever.

I know 76 is fast. Nebraska can handle 80 mph. I'll have to assume Montana is still reasonably fast, 80+? Looks scenic too. No boarder crossing. No need for a birth certificate etc. Heat not as bad.
Either way, can we lock in the route by next weekend?

You know my vote.
Ron, PM me & I'll forward you my e-mail.
You're right Ron, it was short. I think we'll get faster,(@ least until 10 pm or so).

towneh
Wed May 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM
greetings all,
are there any updates on this adventure ? are there any plans for this weekend working towards the 28th July departure ? expecting a new tankbag soon plus I'm working on a better chain oiling system.
Haya Henry --only a slight head injury sustained--

towneh
Thu May 25th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Greetings all,

Where are we with this ride ?!?!?!? I got my chain-oiler kit yesterday !Let the engineering begin. I don't know how long it will take me for the installation but I will read everything first.

I did a trial ride with my replacement tankbag and modifying my packing scheme accordingly.

Later,
Henry ---- the hardwired gps powersource works well too! %?} ----

GSL
Thu May 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I'm probably a no-go. :(

If next quarter (school) is anywhere near as hard as this one, I won't get a single weekend off.

I would be honored to come up and sign you guys in or out.

OldKneeDragger
Sat May 27th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Bummer.... but then again I understand! If however you ever find a weekend that you find your self ahead in school a bit and want to get out on the road, wave a flag and I'd love to hook up with you.

I've been pretty hooked up at the office as well. I started working on my fuel cell and lighting system but haven't had enough time to finish yet.

Harry Biker
Sat Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Greetings,
My plans for a larger tank/aux fuel will have to wait. However, I did purchase a $7.77- 5 gallon gas can,(for my pending trip to PEI) & would ride with that, assuming you understand what that means to your ride. I'll have a 350 mile range,with 1 fillup on the shoulder in between), thus I'd add ~ 35 minutes to the ride, but our planned 225 range could be increased greatly, so it may not be that much of a burden.

Yes, I know that's not the safest way to go, but have done that many times & I'm still here to type this so...

If you do not want to roll that way, I totally understand as you two are already set up for a 350 range & might like to have an overall higher sustained speed than I with your radar & bigger displacement.

Let me know & if you'd rather not, I too will witness ya.

OldKneeDragger
Tue Jun 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Well Harry I hope you don't give up... It only requires a little more planning and quick stops to do the ride with out the fuel cell. I originally was not planning on running a fuel cell for that ride and after going 200+ miles it's kind of nice to stop, even for 1 or 2 minutes to do stretchs while filling the bike..

I just mounted up the fuel cell from my Ninja onto the FJR this weekend. In the process the fuel pump fell off the work bench and broke an internal fitting. I've got JB weld on it now and will test it tomorrow. According to Ron Ayers, it's only $328 for a new one :shock: I only have till the first of July to get everything all sorted out for my ride in Nevada.

towneh
Wed Jun 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Harry -- wow, a 5 gallon tank.... I will not follow too close. I have a comfortable range of 300 miles. Trying to get the Bus at 200 would tap out the main tank so every 5th fill of the main will require an aux fill. Whatever... let's layout our fuel stops and witness plans!
Ron -- JB weld and Super Glue !!! both ride in my tank bag. I hope your test proved to be successful.

I'm still tweaking my chain-oiler. Trying to find the "sweet-spot" where the chain is "wet" while leaving the tyre clean of lube.

51 days to go (or so)
Bus Henry

freezincold
Wed Jun 7th, 2006, 09:00 PM
My brother and I did coast to coast last year (Washington state to Virginia) in 50 hours. He was on a CBR 1000 and I on my GSX-R 1000. That includes cat nap time and stopping for some bad rain near St Louis.

We were tired when we got there, but we didn't think it was that big of a deal until we started talking to some iron butt guys that were at VIR for the AMA races. I wish we would have kept receipts and so forth.

My best day on the 05 GSX-R is 1600 miles and on my old 04 R1 was 1300.

My GSX-R now has close to 30K miles on it but I had to take some time off from riding it for about 5 months for work.

It hit 25K miles even at the R2SL event.

Stopping for fuel every 180-240 miles (yes I got over 240 miles out of a few stock tanks on the GSX-R) and lubing the chain every 3rd tank full was a bit of a pain.

I envy you guys...it sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to do this ride but will be headed back to Washington state and have other obligations.

HAVE FUN!!!

Harry Biker
Sat Jun 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Let's do this then! :twisted:

Route?? I've already stated my preferance a while back, & feel we can get a witness in Billings.
Or...
If you want a guaranteed mid-point witness, & place to crash for a few hours, I've got people in LA;Toledo/Canton, Houston & Phoenix-Dietrich,(assuming he's done getting married & birthing a baby). If we chose the later, we should not be pressured to arrive 1500 miles later @ an exact time & we'd have a place to sleep.

We should get this figured out pronto as I'll be unavailable from 6/29-7/17.

I can meet up tomorrow to discuss mid-morning-PRN.

towneh
Tue Jun 13th, 2006, 01:51 PM
hello Harry and Ron,
Could we hook up someplace to talk about these route options maybe this coming weekend ??? I was committed last Sunday; I tried to call but no connection... I have a slow laptop with MS S&T. destination ??? N, S, E, W ---- i don't care! I'm concerned about good roads, available fuel, witness availability, and a picnic table to crash on!!! 40 some days to go!!
Busa-boy (it's all I got)

Harry Biker
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I can meet Sunday.
Palmer Lake; Woodland Park; Bucksnort?
I'll throw a tentative time out- 11AM?

OldKneeDragger
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I think my priorities have just changed.. I sent Yamaha a picture of my bike parked in front of the Artic Circle sign in Alaska. They posted it on their web as a Contest Winner. (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/feedback/06_SuperSportShowImages.aspx?id=3&pg=1) :lol: Yahoo!, wifey and I are going to the MotoGP courtesy of Yamaha. :D :D :D

Down side is that with my ride in Nevada the first of July and this towards the end, my time will be tapped out for a while. I'm going to put the BBG3K on hold for a while...

towneh
Fri Jun 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM
well, that's a fine "how-de-do!!!! congratualations!!
As for moi ---- well, I've got a notice that DCSD wants me to do something other than work starting next Weds(6/21) thru the 4th of July. can anyone else spare 3 (maybe 4) days in that time frame. if i can't work it, i might as well enjoy it...... anybody ???

Harry Biker
Fri Jun 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM
& then thre were 2...Deja view?

HT, ahem...I think with all the latest developments including the fact that I know you'd prefer to roll > than my current range we should also place this on hold?

I know my boss wants me to do some work in Steamboat that weekend. I've put off commiting to him as this ride came 1st, but, it's not looking too good now.

Let's plan something a little less intense, perhaps over a 4 day Labor Day weekend. I'd certainly be up for capturing @ least a new state pin & or Yellowstone. However, I'd like to know about this sooner than later as I already have a camping reservation, but would be willing to change those dates.

I'm riding with a chopper-chick Sunday on her free,(won from a radio station) $70K chopper! If you want to roll, you know how to reach me.

BTW, congrats Ron, that's pretty cool!