PDA

View Full Version : Steering Dampner

Fly boy
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 05:21 PM
n00b using my name again.

So I think my steering dampner is either out of oil, or darn close. there is some on the outside of it, not I don't remember if there was that much last riding season. Do the seals on them go bad, and if so, do I have to buy a new one, or can I fix it?

I will have to get back to you on the type it is.

sunrcr69
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 05:38 PM
it depends on what brand it is. seal kits are available, however i do not recommend doing the rebuild yourself. usually we send them back to the manufacturer to be rebuilt or just buy a new one. if it is a stock dampner, just replace it.

Mel
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Or, since it is a Honda, just replace the bike :P

Fly boy
Wed Apr 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
its is a "pre-Tek" dampner. I know i'm a n00b and all to bike maint. and such, but it deffinatly looks like it spit its oil outta it.

Fly boy
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Anyone know if its worth re-builting or should I look into getting a new one?

sunrcr69
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM
just replace it.
it will probly cost more to repair it ....
thats if a seal kit can be found (unlikely)

Fly boy
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
anyone know any decent cheap dampners, and where I could maybe pick one up for a 92 cbr600 F2?

the one now is a side mount on the front shock, to the frame. would it matter if I get the same, or should I go with one on the tripple tree?

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Um...i think you are gonna have sticker shock once you see how much they are. I've been searching for one for my zx6r and the cheapest i've found is like $260 on ebay. good luck.

It doesn't matter which style you get; side mount or top mount. just make sure it'll fit your model/year bike.

Player 2
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:28 AM
The other question is, do you ride hard enough to really need one? :P

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I don't ride that hard...and i need one.

Fly boy
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
well I noticed a difference from when I bought my bike to when it doesn't work. Would that count? I also want to try and hit the track this summer at least once.

pg_rider
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM
well I noticed a difference from when I bought my bike to when it doesn't work. Would that count? I also want to try and hit the track this summer at least once.
Well, I just "hit the track " with my R1 (arguably a much less stable bike than an F2) with no damper and no issues whatsoever. Steering dampers are the single most overrated piece of kit for sportbikes, period. VERY few people really NEED them; any headshake issues are most likely caused by poor throttle control and/or too tight a grip on the bars.

sunrcr69
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM
If I were you, I wouldnt go out and buy a new damper kit (hardware and everything). I would try to find a replacement damper only.
what type of damper is it? rotary? shaft type?
and where on the bike is it mounted?

Fly boy
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM
shaft I think, and on the left side, left shock tower to frame where upper bolts on to frame.

"pro-tek"

Player 2
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I've never ridden with one til I got the '06 R1. I never had a problem on my '00 R1 on the track :|

Why do you need one Dr. Trav?

friscokidd
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Or, since it is a Honda, just replace the bike :P

I agree 100%, and since you are no longer a n00b, stop refering to yourself as one :roll:

Mel
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM
any headshake issues are most likely caused by poor throttle control and/or too tight a grip on the bars.

:lol: when you put it that way, there are a LOT of people who should have one.

(non)n00b, the chances that you won't be able to ride without it are slim. It may be nice, or come in handy, but the truth is, most people that hit the track do not ever need one. And unless you are planning to be seriously competitive and race (which you wouldn't be able to do with your bike in the condition it is anyways) you probably won't notice that much of a difference.

konichd
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Well I've had 2 stabalizers:

A GPR on my 02 R1 (Paul PG-Rider, I now know why you gave me such a deal) I absolutely loved it because of the resistance in the steering.

I also have a Ohlins on my new ZX-10 and have found that I like that even more. Its silky smooth, and provides a much better feel for me. I was certainly happy I had it when I was riding with Beotch the other night and hit a concrete man hole. Just let go and the bike straightened itself.

I won't have a bike without one now, not so much for the performance just the "feel" of it makes me more comfortable.

My .02

Mel
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I was certainly happy I had it when I was riding with Beotch the other night and hit a concrete man hole. Just let go and the bike straightened itself.

Ughhh, that ramp was a bitch...I hit the same thing, and (somewhat) avoided two others. I don't have a dampner though, so there was no lettng go for me :lol:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Why do you need one Dr. Trav?
I've had a stabalizer on everyone of my bikes, both 97 & 98 900rr's, and on my gixxer, it came stock(couldn't change resistance, but still gave resistance). I haven't ridden a bike without it, i just can't seem to get used to the free swing of the handlebars, they way mine do? If i don't feel comfy with my steering, it's only going to slow me down.

pg_rider
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Well I've had 2 stabalizers:

A GPR on my 02 R1 (Paul PG-Rider, I now know why you gave me such a deal) I absolutely loved it because of the resistance in the steering.
:lol: Well, I would never say that dampers don't work, or that some people just prefer them.... but for me, I'd rather have cash in my pocket than a piece of equipment on my bike that I don't need. Hey, if it makes the rider feel more comfortable then go for it... I just don't like to hear someone say they "need" a damper on their ZXCBRYZFGSXR.... :)

Mel
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I just don't like to hear someone say they "need" a damper on their ZXCBRYZFGSXR.... :)

You know what, Mr. Know-it-all, I DO need that on my ZXCBRYXFGSXR thingy. And can you get me some new blinker fluid, and I think I need a new driver module too.

Bueller
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
You know your too cheap to get one anyway, so whats the question?

Fly boy
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM
hahahaha, not true, if I find a used one on ebay for cheap I'd think about it :321:

Bueller
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Here is one for you.
Dampener (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6047631184&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D6047631184%26fvi %3D1)

Player 2
Fri Apr 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM
:spit:

Fly boy
Thu Apr 13th, 2006, 07:54 PM
said screw it and yanked the snatch off....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v624/flyb0yo21/dampner/