PDA

View Full Version : question on oil

zenlakin
Mon Apr 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I just bought a bike and got a quote of $17 per quart of oil :shock:
Seems really high to me but thought I would ask around and see what you guys do for oil. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, My bike is a 1996 yamaha yzf600r.

Lee
Mon Apr 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I would very much like to know what brand of oil was quoted to you at $17 per quart. Unless it's got gold in it, I think that's way too high.

I don't know if you have unusual oil requirements. If not, I would simply buy a brand name motorcycle specific oil. Honda oils are made by Castrol. They're affordable ($3.50-$6.50) per quart for non-synthetic to semi-synthetic. Amsoil pure synthetics can be purchased from an Amsoil dealer for less than $8.00 per quart.

And there are plenty of other good oils: Silkolene, Mobil 1, Castrol, Repsol, and a lot more. Just make sure your oil meets the viscocity requirements that the owner's manual specifies, that it is motorcycle specific (not car oil), and that you change your oil often.

Lee

zenlakin
Mon Apr 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM
That is what I thought also. $17 for one quart holy cow. Colorado powersports in thornton gave me that quote and I didn't stay on the phone long enough to ask what brand it was.

Mel
Mon Apr 10th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Actually, there are a fair number of articles out there that show there is really not that much difference between car and bike, especially when using synthetic.
Check the other thread ;) http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=266281#266281

onepoorstunna
Mon Apr 10th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Just make sure your oil meets the viscocity requirements that the owner's manual specifies, that it is motorcycle specific (not car oil),

And why might motorcycle specific oil be required? The last few owners manuals I checked didn't say "Motorcycle Specific API Grade SM Oil".

As long as you stay away from the heavily friction modifed cager oils, you are basically getting the same thing the companies package up, double the price on, and ship out the door stamped "Motorcycle Oil".

Lee
Mon Apr 10th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Many people don't know the ins and outs of oils.

It's safer to tell people to use JASO spec (motorcycle specific) oils.

http://www.aac-jasoinfo.com/jaso_web/index.htm

Lee