PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

zenlakin
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I was going to check my oil on my bike last night and when I took the cap off I have no dipstick or anything to check the level. Am I looking in the wrong spot? Also if there is no dipstick how do I check the level. I looked in the case and when wiggling the bike I could see any oil moving around. Thanks guys.

Bike is a 1996 yamaha yzf600r.

~Barn~
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM
If you don't have a dipstick, is there maybe a sight-glass? My R1 has one, but my old R6 had a dipstick, so....

:dunno:

zenlakin
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I assume that the sight glass is probably behind the fairing right? and what should the level be at.

99GSXR750
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Most aren't behind the fairing. They are just below where you pour the oil in. There should be a L and F marking, or something similar for low and full. Should be somewhere inbetween, or closer to the full.

~Barn~
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 11:37 AM
It may be behind the fairing, but man.. that would have been a lousy design. Anyhow...

If it's anything my last couple Yamaha's with sightglasses, there is a high and low notch, surrounding the glass. They're not marked or anything, they're just "notched" or whatever. You oil level should be between those 2 marks, while the bike is straight up and down, not on it's kickstand.

zenlakin
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM
sounds good. Thanks for the info guys.

Spiderman
Wed Apr 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I was going to say that, since the 99 R6 didn't have a sight glass, I'm guessing the 96 600R didn't have one either, but I just found the owners manual for the '98 600R on the Yamaha website. The '98 has a sight glass, so it's entirely possible the 96 did as well. According to the manual- http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/1998/LIT-11626-11-20_151.pdf - on page 7-14 (page 81 of the pdf), the sight glass seems to be located just inside the front corner at the bottom of the fairing (in front of where your toes would be while riding).

If it doesn't have one, then look for a small plastic screw knob/handle below the clutch (about 10" below the oil filler cap, and maybe slightly towards the rear of th bike). If you have one, that's probably the dipstick. At least that's how it was on the 99 R6.

Good luck.