PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel brake lines

HDave
Wed May 10th, 2006, 09:57 PM
So I am thinking I need to replace my 4 year old original brake lines with stainless. Front and rear...is doign the rear over kill, I think it needs replacing anyways.

Also, is this pretty easy and is all I need is a speed bleeder and some fresh fluid?

whtcha think?

pg_rider
Wed May 10th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Yes, the rear is overkill as I can guarantee your foot is not sensitive to feel the difference. Now, if you just want it to look cool then more power to you. That's why I'd do it...

As for the job itself, I prefer a MityVac to SpeedBleeders.

If you've never swapped lines before I suggest you make friends with someone who has. It's quite easy, but not the kind of job where you want to learn as you go... Kind of important, brakes...

Feathered upstart!
Wed May 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM
A mityvac will make your life much better... and happier 8)
Its only about 30 bucks and worth its wieght in gold

HDave
Wed May 10th, 2006, 10:19 PM
never seen a mityvac before. Sounds like the ticket.

about how much time is involved, say if I had a shop do it.

pg_rider
Thu May 11th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Fronts 1 hour, rear half an hour I'd say.

Devaclis
Thu May 11th, 2006, 07:38 AM
My front was about 15 minutes plus about 10 to bleed and test. Back was about the same. Bedding in new pads tkaes longer than changing out the lines. Just make sure to cover all of your painted parts with towels so you don't get any fluid on them.

BlueDevil
Thu May 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Speed Bleeders = Bah!! Havent found a decent one yet. Cost to much and end up tossing it out and using a plain ole .69 cent piece of tubing into a soda bottle. Dont know if ive tried the one you mentioned but my guess is its over 25 bucks for it and does the same job U can do with a piece of tubing from your local HomeDepot.... haha

None the less its probably not the best job if you havent done it before but as long as you get all the air out and have proper use before trying anything crazy.. U should be ok. Costs about 125 bucks at most dealers to get them swapped out...so Id rather do it myself then pay that .... Should be able to get them done in an hour with the service manual and proper torque settings on your banjo bolts....

The rear: Bikes have rear brakes? haha

On a side note there are bleeder screws out now that have a ball bearring in them that doenst allow for air to travel backwards back into the line while bleeding air out. Cost about 10-15 bucks. I have them and like them. Worth the money IMO....

pg_rider
Thu May 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Speed Bleeders = Bah!! Havent found a decent one yet. Cost to much and end up tossing it out and using a plain ole .69 cent piece of tubing into a soda bottle. Dont know if ive tried the one you mentioned but my guess is its over 25 bucks for it and does the same job U can do with a piece of tubing from your local HomeDepot.... haha

On a side note there are bleeder screws out now that have a ball bearring in them that doenst allow for air to travel backwards back into the line while bleeding air out. Cost about 10-15 bucks. I have them and like them. Worth the money IMO....
Actually, the bleeders you're talking about ARE the SpeedBleeders. I think in your first paragraph you meant to say MityVac which, when properly employed, will fill and bleed new brake lines probably better than anything... :)

Buddau
Thu May 11th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I concour, in my experience speed bleeders don't work as well as the pump it up and hold it method. All though they work faster.
Here are a few tricks that make bleeding brakes a breeze,
Always keep positive pressure on the lever when the bleeder valve is open, air can seep in past the threads of the bleeder valve.
After a few hours, loosen the top banjo bolt to let air out from the top. Again, keeping positive pressure on the lever.

BlueDevil
Thu May 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Rich is an expert in this area I would have to say. Remember at SCR last year Rich when my brakes were toast and we searched the pits using 2 or 3 different types of those damn pump bleeders, and none of them worked, but then a good ole hose did the magic? haha

Anyway as I stated Im not sure Ive used the brand you are talking about, but if U can do it just as good for .69 cent...I say go for it.

The banjo bolt bleed is a very good trick that will get that last little bubble giving your lever the squishy feeling. Newer bikes now or Brembo masters have a bleeder up on the master cyl....thats as good as gold IMO. Anyway this is all my opinion of course and what has worked well for me.