PDA

View Full Version : Bike Modifications

konichd
Sun May 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Alright, paid the Kawi in full and now its time to start upgrading some parts on this bike. I'm looking for opinions or other ideas to make the bike more suitable for me for both the street and a couple times that it will see the track.

I've already did the following:
-Came with an Ohlins steering damper
-Puig Double bouble windscreen so I can see the gauges
-Spiegler brake lines and racing fluid
-Suspension setup by TK motorsports (stock)

Here are the modifications I need options on. Remember its going to live most of its life on the street, some weekend canyon carving, and a couple track days every summer.

-Power Command Module to smooth out throttle response
-CRG "roll-a-click" levers in standard length
-K&N or BMC high flow air filter
-520 Chain conversion with stock gearing or +2 in the back
-Arata/Gilles/Vortex rearsets
-Ohlins suspension upgrade
-Akropovic exhaust (probably the LAST mod for the bike)

Let me know if you have any other suggestions or modifications that have personally helped you. Thanks again for the help in advance

Mista Black
Sun May 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM
it depends on what you want. if you wanna be a very competant rider who is truely quick in the canyons, extremely safe and has loads of fun on this bike for years the #1 thing to mod is you.

for all the parts you've mentioned you could probably do a spencer weekend class and gain a ton more ground than those parts while give you.

btw, nice bike :up:

Bueller
Sun May 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM
If a liter bike needs more power than stock you gotta be good. :P
Exhaust, PCIII and air filter first and at the same time, then get it mapped. The rest is bling.
Why throw away a perfectly good chain for a "racing" mod? I regeared my RC51 with 530 sprockets and I can guarantee I wouldn't be able to feel the difference if I would have paid $200+ for a 520.
Get the stock suspension dialed in right and then see if there is some reason you want to spend big $ on it. Just make sure you have the right springs and maybe get the forks re valved. When you start hitting peg feelers then I would worry about rearsets.

konichd
Sun May 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks Jeff & Dave,

I'm not looking to necessarily for performance, but rather modifications to "dial in" the bike a little more so its suited for me. Thats why I'm leaving the exhaust until last.

I just took the bike to TK this weekend to get the suspension setup for my height, weight and Brian along with Bart did a great job getting it setup, much better than the stock suspension settings

Track Days are a must! :lol:

rhicks
Fri May 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Have you thought about a ram-mount or other video camera mount for the canyons? It's not performance related but it might be fun
to sit back and watch on those cold days.

That's one fine looking bike!

Mel
Fri May 19th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Burn it! It's a witch! :D

King Nothing
Fri May 19th, 2006, 05:55 PM
it's a Kawi....throw it away.

Feathered upstart!
Fri May 19th, 2006, 06:03 PM
it's a Kawi....throw it away.

aint that the truth