PDA

View Full Version : The best twisties...???

R1-Tek
Tue May 16th, 2006, 02:26 PM
New to Colorado (Aurora).....

One of the shop guys at Vickery Motorsports (Denver) told me about twisties off of Morrison Road off of I-70 West. Not bad, but always looking for the sweetest knee-draggin twisties.

All those with an opinion.....please offer it.

Mista Black
Tue May 16th, 2006, 02:32 PM
McClure Pass, Grand Mesa, Black Canyon, Hwy 141, Hwy 9 (from Hartsel to Hwy 50), Hwy 50 (from there to Salida - early morning mid-week is best), Hwy 149... there's lots of super nice twisties but the best are further out than the typical R1 pilot is wanting to go, i'm sure.

sfarson
Tue May 16th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Best curves nearby are the various canyons leading into the mountains from the Front Range... St. Vrain, Left Hand, Coal Creek, Golden Gate, Bear Creek come to mind.

Further away from Aurora would be the Deckers Rd., Peak to Peak Hwy, Victor/Cripple Creek, Stove Prairie, Poudre Canyon, etc.

Further away... 96/165 to San Isabel via Wetmore/Bishop's Castle, Arkansas Canyon, Cochetopa Canyon, and all the high mountain passes... Berthoud, Loveland, Gore, Tennessee, etc. and etc., and the great roads mentioned in the previous post. Much to choose from. Can find all these on a map.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue May 16th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Steve-
Are St. Vrain and Boulder the same thing???

sfarson
Tue May 16th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Dr. Joe... Nooooo! :lol: St. Vrain is possibly my favorite Front Range Canyon. Up or down. Good road conditions, minimal traffic, minimal sand, places to pass, sweet combination of sweepers and curves.

Can take a tour of it here... St. Vrain Canyon from Lyons to the Peak to Peak - Streaming Video (http://www.farson.com/video/xxvrain.wmv)

The location...
http://www.farson.com/maps/stvrain.jpg

DOT636
Tue May 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Yummy, St Vrain is filled with juicy goodness.....

*KEN*
Tue May 16th, 2006, 09:14 PM
OK, that's my next destination for sure!

Dysco
Tue May 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Just start going up and down canyons between 93 and the P2P, start going up Golden Gate, crossing over to Coal Creek then up to Boulder canyon on 93.

Good roads abound. Take a look at the map and circle everything twisty. Then go ride it :D

*KEN*
Tue May 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Good roads abound. Take a look at the map and circle everything twisty. Then go ride it :D

I was going to try that, but I soon realized that everything twisty isn't paved :(

Dysco
Tue May 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I always thought that was the best part! :lol:

If it turns to dirt and you're nervous, I suggest turning around. Some guys here on sportbikes don't mind the occasional dirt connector.

Still, the best method is to explore. Keep things nice and easy the first time you ride a road since they all have a few suprises.

Bugkiller1
Wed May 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM
The best set of twisties cloose to Denver, at least for my money, is Squaw Valley Pass or Pine Valley to Deckers. Thers plenty of awesome roads in Colorado though. I'd listen to Sfarson though because "He's Been Everywhere Man" :D

McVaaahhh
Wed May 17th, 2006, 08:05 AM
:imwithstupid: I really like Deer Creek Canyon, with the exception of all the bicycles that are always on it. Other than that I enjoy that ride for a quick canyon strafe. :hump:

Sully
Wed May 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Golden Gate tends to have sand and or gravel, so beware....

You can also meet up for some of the canyon or group rides - that way you can learn the best ones on your own :up:

Super-zHero
Wed May 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
just rode boulder canyon yesterday and a ton of tar patching everywhere. sketchy at best and definately not good for any knee draggin' pace. who needs to drag an knee anyway when you ride in shorts?? ----JK

Bueller
Wed May 17th, 2006, 06:57 PM
For close to denver, deer creek (my least favorite of the three) to turkey creek to bear creek can't be beat, if the traffic is light bear creek is my favorite for a high lean factor.

kpp80202
Sat Jun 17th, 2006, 10:44 AM
+1 on Peak to Peak and Morrison road to Evergreen, though you need to ride it really early to miss the sloooowwww drivers.