PDA

View Full Version : Fay Myers... Buyer Beware!!!!

vroomnut
Tue Dec 30th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Hello all,

I don't normally post much, but I feel compelled to in this situation. I recently bought a 2003 CBR600RR from Fay Myers about a month ago. I went in there looking for a smoking deal... and thought I got it. I walked out of there with what I thought at the time was all fees and all taxes included for about 8600. I clearly expressed to the sales guy that I was agreeing to the price under the stipulation that included everything (ie... all taxes and all fees). He acknowledged that was indeed the case. Well how could I pass on that... right? I walked out of there with a smile on my face thinking I just got a steal.

Unfortunately reality set in yesterday as I went in to finally pick up my registration and title. I thought I was going to have to cough up about $150 for all fees. You can imagine my surprise when the clerk dropped a 470 dollar bomb on me. :o I was informed that the $313 in city/county taxes was still owed after I had been told all taxes had been paid in full. Begrudgingly I paid it. Upon getting home I dug up the contract... and low n' behold there was a big fat $0 under that column. SOB's!!!! Funny that was never pointed out when the sales guy went over the contract with me. I did realize taxes had been paid then... but to my discredit I did not pay attention to which ones. Furthermore, it is ironic how it was not explained that in a cash paid in full situation... the dealership does not pay the city/county taxes. Yet they lead me to believe all tax payments were satisfied. Can you say SCAM!!!!!! :x They knew I was looking for a certain price and couldn't get it for me straight up. Instead they chose to manipulate the numbers on the contract to reflect a favorable price and then withheld the information about the taxes to influence me to buy the bike. :guns: Talk about a bunch of scum bags. When I went to the store to inquire into the matter I was given a half-ass explanation about how that is always the case in a cash in full situation and that they are not obliged to explain that to the customer. The sales manager also brought out the price work-up sheet which included on it: my oringinal offer, their counter, and the agreed upon price. Under the final price there was a note that read... split tax. Well... I was informed that the note meant that they split the tax with me to get me such a great price. Let me ask then how is it that to this date I have paid all the taxes on the bike. All I'm paying for is a bunch of BS freight and set-up charges in my opinion.

Well... I left the store with the sales manager stating that they weren't going to pay my taxes... and that they will be just fine without my business. Needless to say they offered NOTHING to resolve the situation. All this to a repeat customer. Bought my 2K Gixxer 750 brand new there at MSRP. Good attitude Fay Myers!

So the moral of the story boys and girls is to have these sleezy sales people explain each detail of the contract to you... especially which taxes are being paid at the time of purchase and which at the time of registration. Also... get the statement "out the door with all fees and all taxes included" in writing from your dealership. If you don't there is liable to be a nice little surprise for you down the line.

In conclusion... if you liked to get ripped off and pay way beyond cost for your motorcycles and parts... Fay Myers is the place for you. They will not be getting any future business from me, nor from my fiancee who is looking at upgrading to an 04' Gixxer 600 sometime this year. Way to go Fay Myers! You may have been around since 1948, but your aptness for accidents and your arrogant attitude may not get you past 2008. You've won my seal of disapproval.

PS... I knew I should have listened to BlueDevil and went to Sun instead. Damn you! I did take your advice and file complaints with both BBB & Tom Martino. We'll see if that resolves anything. I'm not holding my breath though.

Wahooman
Tue Dec 30th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Sun had the same bike in the paper and at the show for $6795.00, powersports still has one in Boulder on there floor too (600rr) that is. From my experiences I don't think they have ever put the city tax on the purchase order, expecially if you are in a different zip.....just something to keep in mind. Also, ENSURE you read the purchase order 100%. Sorry to hear about your experience

BlueDevil
Wed Dec 31st, 2003, 06:39 AM
Man I tell U everything now days is a joke or scam. Someone is always trying to work a number on you. Makes me sad our world is a "Get the sale" kinda place. We say and do what ever it takes to make the deal and when its done. Screw you.

Bad thing is they will most likely do buisness from now on an not care you are a lost customer. None the less because of this they have also lost any potential business from me. Perhaps a couple more will take your advice and go elsewere (NOT CO POWERSPORTS) :lol: If they sell even a few less bikes due to your spread of the word you should feel good.

One thing CO Powersports taught me is "Get it in writing" Anything a dealer says. Get it in writing. Delivery dates, fees, OTD price, anything and everything. Simply state "can you put that in writing?" If the sales or manager backs off then U know it was BS. I have grown up by being taught a man is only as good as his word. If you go in and ask for $X OTD price and they agree to it. Thats it. I dont go into a department store and get a 20% off sale only to find out that when I put it on Im required to pay taxes on it first.........Thats BS. I bought it here I pay for it here. Done.

I am normally very cooperative and friendly to sales folks when buying stuff, but in the past few years these types of experiences have made be fearful of getting screwed in the #2 hole. Im a jerk now. Nothing personal but its my hard earned money and so many shops have nickled and dimed me out of it that Im ready to go to battle now to not get screwed. As we speak I am battling with an online company and the BBB because they overbilled me and never shipped my order. All these comapanies preech how they pride them selves on customer service and their ability to deliver to the customers needs. BS its all a marketing sceme and its time people started wising up to it. Im not saying all companies are out to screw you, but its just to common now days to get burned. In my oppinion customer service (Now days) = What is the fastest way I can get money from your pocket to mine?

btw Im really not a bitter old 26 yr old. haha

Sorry for the rant. I hope something good happens for you. If not lesson learned. Next time take a lawyer in to deal on your bike with you. :lol: j/k.

Quick636
Wed Dec 31st, 2003, 07:46 AM
Well it makes sense that the dealer doesn't pay the taxes, but it sucks that they misled you into thinking they would.

Think of this as lesson learned though, read EVERYTHING and look at all the numbers before you sign that line.

vroomnut
Wed Dec 31st, 2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the condolences. In regards to the city/county taxes... dealerships are required to include it only when you are financing a bike. I did not realize that... and it definitely wasn't pointed out to me until I went into the dealership yesterday. Also... as they pointed out... on the write-up... they agreed to split the tax... which I thought they had done and paid the city/county tax. They did have the state and RTD tax on the contract when I purchased it. They definitely mislead me. :321: Again... the understanding was all taxes paid out the door.

You are right Mr. D about these dealerships and companies being out just to get your money. They are all about getting you to set that first foot-step in the door... after that good luck... hope you brought your shot-gun to keep the wolves at bay. There are some good shops out there though, but they are few and far between.

I must say that the sales guy was pretty cool through-out the sale and even the unpleasantness of the past few days. Unfortunately, he has the displeasure of working for a bunch of Nazis... especially the sales manager Dave or Dan... whatever. The guy had no concept of customer service. He did not even acknowledge they had done anything wrong and did not make even the slightest effort to propose a resolution. He even had the nerve to say that this is the first time anyone had ever complained about such a thing. BS!!!!

Hopefully all this venting helps some of you guys and gals out. I'm pretty fair and open about things, but the attitude Fay Myers is taking is an insult to sportbike enthusiasts. Yes... they have a pretty nice selection.... but thats about all you are getting. If you have to have that Aprilla or KTM... and are willing to pay that exorbant price tag... by all means be my guest. If you are looking for something a bit more readily available.... take the time to look around... you'll probably find a dealer able to beat Fays price and with far less hassle. If you are looking for a deal... Fay Myers is definitely NOT the place to go.

I may not get my $300 back... but hopefully they lose on this as well. Especially if they are unwilling to change their conceited attitude toward their customers.

Anonymous
Wed Dec 31st, 2003, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience - from working in the customer service industry for 7 years, I know that setting the customer's expectation is crucial.

As for only charging city & county tax on a financed bike, I don't know if that's new, or if my method of financing doesn't qualify - I bought my '02 R1 new at Vickery, and financed it through the Yamaha credit card. I'm looking at my bill of sale now, and there's nothing listed under city or county tax. I dug up my check register from last year and found that I paid $204 when I first registered the bike, and this year it was $132. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I live in unicorporated Jeffco (which also means that I only paid 3.7% tax :D ).

I'm just wondering if it's where you live that's causing it to be such a large amount, or if the title fee is ridiculously huge or what.

BlueDevil
Wed Dec 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM
I was wondering that as well. I live a couple blocks from Alan and I am in an Unincorporated" Thonton area (Brighton). But I really think in this case since we discussed what U were looking to pay for that bike....the only way they could make the deal and get max profit in they pocket was to take advantage of the situation and leave this minor detail out....... Its not like U were gonna return the bike after you found out a month or so later.. haha It would have just been nice for them to jus tlay the cards on the table. Tough call.

I paid about the same as you did Spider for the 02 R1.

vroomnut
Fri Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:04 AM
Well... I'm fully aware that I would owe taxes on the motorcycle. I wasn't that naive. The point of this whole matter is that I was supposed to be out the door with all taxes and all fees included for that agreed upon purchase price. That was the whole basis of me agreeing to make purchase in the first place. I was pretty clear about that with the sales person. It is my contention that the sales staff knew they couldn't get me the price I wanted under that stipulation... so they manipulated the numbers on the contract to reflect a favorable price while at the same time withholding the details about how the city tax would be paid. Also... on the write-up... it was agreed to split the taxes. In my mind that means I pay one half... they pay the other half. The state and RTD taxes were included in the contract and the price at time of purchase. As I am not a salesman and don't deal with contracts on a daily basis... I looked past the city tax and didn't realize how that would work. In the contract for my first bike from them... which I financed... the city tax was included in the price on the contract. I'm sorry... but in my opinion they should be obliged to inform the customer as to how that will work... especially when they had me under the impression all taxes were included. If I would have known the bike was gonna cost me 8900 instead of 8600... I never would have agreed. They knew that... and manipulated that information against me. Maybe that is common knowledge to many of you... but it was not to me at the time... and I resent that. That is two-faced saying that all taxes would be included and allowing me to believe that through-out the sale. I am sorry but that is pretty low down in my book. The fact that they would not even acknowledge what had happened and offered not a single resolution is even further insulting. Is my dissatisfaction and loss of business, claims to the BBB & Tom Martino, and a negative thread on this website really worth $300? $300 is a drop in the bucket to them... unfortunately it makes or breaks my month. I believe in integrity and honesty. If you think Fay Myers acted honestly and forth-right in this matter... then good luck on your next purchase with them... I feel sorry for you. We all have our own opinions... and unfortunately I am sticking with mine until they take responsibility for their shady actions.

vroomnut
Fri Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:13 AM
By the way... registration and title fees were $156... which I knew I would be paying. What I object to is the $313 in city taxes I had to pay on top of that at the DMV. That was NEVER mentioned at the date of purchase.
Also... I live in unincorporated Thornton and/or Adams county. The amount of the tax though... is not the point of my contention.

vroomnut
Sat Jan 31st, 2004, 01:02 PM
Well, the complaint through the Denver BBB went unresolved. Fay Myers never confessed to doing anything wrong, and all they offered for reimbursement was a discount on my first servicing. Safe to say, I declined their offer. They refused to even acknowledge they had done anything wrong. There is an article in the Colorado Consumer Protection Act that specifically explains that to make false or misleading statements of fact concerning price of goods shall be deemed a deceptive trade practice. The shoe sure seems to fit in this case. Talk about a lack of integrity and a lack of respect for their customers. They will NEVER have my business again. At this point there is probably not much more I can do to recoop my losses. I plan on filing a few more complaints against them with some other agencies that are also involved with consumer protection; but that's about all I can do. Unfortunately, I don't have anything down on paper, or I would pursue legal action against them. All I can say is stay away from Myers if you value fair pricing and customer satisfaction.

Boy Scout
Sat Jan 31st, 2004, 06:47 PM
I don't think the type of financing has anything to do with it. I believe sales tax is based on where you live, not where you buy the bike. In addition, what taxes are charged by the dealership depends in part on how the dealership is setup.

In this case, you're in Thornton, the dealership is in what, Centennial or something. Since you are both in Colorado and are both in the RTD district, they must collect both of those taxes. Because they are not in Thornton, unless they are setup to collect taxes for sales made to Thornton residents, they are not obligated, nor able, to collect Thornton city sales tax.

This has occurred consistently in my purchases. I'm in Denver. When I bought a bike from FM on Alameda (Denver) with cash, they collected all taxes as we were both in all the same taxing districts (CO State, RTD, Denver City). Longmont collected state and RTD, but not Denver city. Lakewood collected state and RTD, but not Denver city.

This is also why you don't save anything directly on taxes as a result of buying a vehicle out of state. In that case, the dealership will collect no taxes and you will end up paying state, RTD, and city taxes when you register the vehicle. You might save some $$$ in taxes by getting a cheaper price out of state than locally, but the tax rates that you will ultimately be charged will be the same regardless of where you make the purchase.

There are some exceptions, students for example, whose permanent address is out of state. They will register the vehicle out of state and thus pay taxes applicable to that location which may have lower rates.

Bottom line, other than perhaps misleading you, they haven't done anything wrong, and in fact, have collected all of the taxes for which they are able/obligated. They could give you cash back or store credit for the applicable amount, but my guess at this point is that it would be pointless (i.e. you're probably not going to step inside their door again).

PS I'm not a big fan of FM, nor am I trying to defend their actions. The first bike I bought in Colorado came from them. It was also the last bike I bought from them.

vroomnut
Sun Feb 1st, 2004, 09:10 AM
I realize Fay Myers did nothing wrong from a legal stand point in collecting the city/ county sales tax. Where they did go wrong was not giving me all this information before the sale was finalized and allowing me to believe all taxes had been included in the price on the day of purchase. All vehicles I have bought up until this CBR have been financed. Each time the city/county tax had been included in the price. Both times I have dealt with Fay; I can not remember once getting a clarification on what their obligations were to collect taxes in each situation. I am sorry, but I believe that is wrong as that affects the overall price you are getting. More so when you agree to the final price being out-the-door with all taxes and fees included. If I would have heard "Well sir, the best deal we can give you on this bike is this price; which includes your freight & set-up fees, state sales tax, & RTD tax. Since we are in Town A and you are in Town B; per state regulations we are not required to include the city/county tax in the sale at this time. You will be required though to pay this when you obtain your registration & title at the DMV. This is only an estimate, but it will probably be for this amount." That never occurred. You ask why I didn't ask about it then; well every vehicle I had bought until then was financed. Obviously, dealerships are required to include all taxes in the final price in such situations. I did not realize there was a difference in policy for cash paid in full. Also, why would I ask when they had me thinking all taxes were included in the first place. Fay Myers created this fiasco with misleading statements, and as a result of their screw-up they should take responsibility for it. The salesperson even admitted to me that he didn't know exactly how sales taxes were supposed to be collected in this state since he was a recent transplant from California. The management wouldn't even acknowledge a miscommunication existed. What does that tell you about a dealership that won't even listen to their customers, and employees for that matter. They offered NOTHING for their mistake. Even agreeing to split the difference would have been fair in this matter and would have saved them all this bad press and attention.

Thanks for all the explanations on how dealers are supposed to collect taxes on sales. That will definitely come in handy down the road. I can not believe though Fay Myers was in the right on this when they say one thing and then do another. That is fraudulent and deceptive. That is my whole point here; not about whether sales taxes were collected legally. Fay Myers is a dealership of VERY LITTLE INTEGRITY. If that were not true, they would have stepped up to the plate and took care of one of their customers. Even the BBB rep had a hard time dealing with them if that says anything about their character.

If you know someone there who you can trust to hook you up on a deal... go for it. If not I certainly wouldn't want to be in your shoes and expect to be treated fairly. My current motto is JUST SAY NAY TO FAY

FZRguy
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Here’s the lowdown on taxes and bikes purchased at a dealership. For street bikes that are financed, all taxes that apply to customer’s address are collected. For cash sale street bikes, dealers only collect what is in common with the customer’s address and the dealer's location. The rest will be collected by the DMV. For non-titled bikes it depends on if the bike is delivered. If delivered, the dealer only collects what is in common with the customer’s address. If not delivered, all taxes are collected at the point of sale.

Bueller
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Fay Myers SUCKS!! :cussing:
Do not get your service done there or you will get screwed again! :x
I have a KTM, Suzuki and a Honda and live 5 min. from them and I will never spend another dime in there! :loser:

KooLaid
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I wasn't impressed with my one and only and last visits there. All I wanted was nice tear drop shaped turn signals or NON ugly square mini "dual sport" turn signals. Something decently nice. They couldn't even steer me in the right direction. I had to tell them which distributor to go through, but tried to sell me some outragous $100 turn signals....wtf?!?!?!

thunderseye
Sun Mar 7th, 2004, 03:27 PM
when i had my superhawk i took it in for an oil change 70 bucks. but on top of that they insisted that i had a very bad coolant leak hmmm odd since i had a full tank, hadn't added any since i bought the bike and didn't add any even till i sold the bike. yeah right pretty bad leak. must have had an automatic coolant refiller

rocktboy
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 11:30 PM
vroomnut I really sympathize with your case. Fay Meyers clearly mislead you in terms of what sales tax are included in your purchase price. :321: them for that!!!

I bought a new bike on Saturday at Co Powersports in Boulder. I didn't dick around with them face to face. Just called and spoke to Darin Scherer(same Darin that used to work for Coyote??) on the phone and the sales price (not including tax, which was clearly conveyed on the phone) was agreed upon before I went in and signed the papers.

It was also a cash deal and the sales manager Zeb Zimmerman explained everything nicely and cleanly INCLUDING that they only charge 3.7% tax there BUT the rest and liscense/registration will be charged by DMV depending on where I live. He explained that if the city where I live has a higher sales tax I will just pay whatever that tax % is minus 3.7% that I already paid.

I knew all this to begin with so I was prepared to walk on them if they tried to manupulate numbers on the sales contract. But they didn't try to do that and explained everything honestly.

The agreed upon sales price was $7200 on a 03 Kawi Z1000 that had msrp of $8499! They had to include a b.s. delievery and handling fee but they included that at their own expense! The sales price on the sales contract was $7010 and a handling fee of $190 so the total was still $7200 as agreed upon.

Darin and Zeb are both racers and they were honest and up front with me during the entire transaction. I don't like CO powersports because I've had the worst experience with their service dept but I highly recommend Darin and Zeb if you are looking to purchase a bike from Co powersports.
(don't hate the game, just hate the playa...)

IF you run a bike dealership of course you will try to get as much money out of a bike as you can. I am not going to dispute that. But there is a difference when you charge high $$$ and mis-represent the details on the sales contract like Fay Meyers did in this case.

vrommnut unfortunately there is not much you can do legally. You can try take them to a small claims court but it's going to be your word/vs their word. And you'll prolly spend more than $300 on legal fees.

You can try "revenge" by dicking with Fay Meyers. Keep calling their sales staff pretend you are interested in buying and absolutely lowball them. Or go in there and pretend you are interested in a high $$$ bike and test ride it but don't buy it. Tell your friends to do the same. That will waste a lot of their time. I'll be happy to do it since I really want to ride the Ducs, Aprilias, KTM's......:twisted:

Yeah this is low but they screwed you in the a$$ in the first place so it's justified to me. :evil:

Vance
Tue Mar 9th, 2004, 12:01 AM
[ :x TIRADE Mode :twisted: ]

See - this is why I'm glad there are other sources for all the bikes I'm considering buying right now. I've got Erico (who I know and love in regards to service, general friendliness, willingness to spend time with you and get you whatever information you want... and I especially dig the Parts Goddess :D ) for the Ducati (or Triumph) if that's the route I go.

If I go Honda for the CBR1000RR I've got a ton of choices from Excel not too far from the house on Santa Fe, or Sun Honda, Aurora Honda,... etc, etc, etc. The RC-51 may be a bit harder since that's really in the running based on finding a 2002 or 2003 at a smoking hot deal (which there's one in town, and one out of state I already know of in a preliminary search).

The Aprilia - thanks to those of you on the board here - have enlightened me that there is a CO Springs dealer - which if you believe the "How to break in a bike the right way" web page is perfect since I'd want to change the oil after 50 miles of ass kicking riding (just stop me from doing AT LEAST 125+ down the stretch from CO Springs until Castle Rock)... I'd be maybe 10 over that once I got home.

And besides that --- from what I'm finding online --- out of state may be a damn good option too in regards to cutting a good deal and having it shipped. If I can save $1000, $2000, or even $3000 and spend $400 to $500 to have it shipped - sounds like a bargain to me!

Fuck Fag Nuthuggers. I'm all for fucking with their sales staff's minds a bit. Just tell me how to convince them to let me test ride and I'll be sure to keep putting them through the paces between the CBR, the RSV, and the 749... then have to think about it. Then come back to ride them again... then think about it... then negotiate a deal... then change my mind and renegotiate... Hell yeah. These guys deserve NO QUARTER for the way they've historically treated my friends, myself, and obviously many others in the market for a ride who just want an honest and legitimate sale if not deal.

[ :x /TIRADE Mode :twisted: ]

Anonymous
Tue Mar 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Fuck Fag Nuthuggers.

:spit: :lol: