PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrench Settings

Thu Jan 1st, 2004, 12:05 PM
I'm trying to put the clutch back on the bike and the torque settings says 5.5mn. I have no idea what that translates to. My wrench is set up in inch pounds and metric kilograms. Anyone have any ideas how to interpret this?

dgoldan
Thu Jan 1st, 2004, 01:03 PM
I think it's probably a misprint. It should read Nm - Newton meters. Take a look here for conversions:

http://www.metrication.com/cgi-bin/convert.cgi?Quantity=torque

Dan

I'm trying to put the clutch back on the bike and the torque settings says 5.5mn. I have no idea what that translates to. My wrench is set up in inch pounds and metric kilograms. Anyone have any ideas how to interpret this?

Thu Jan 1st, 2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks Dan-

Do you know where I can get a torque wrench that goes down that low?

dgoldan
Thu Jan 1st, 2004, 05:41 PM
Converting 5.5Nm, I get 48.7116 in/lbs. I think I have a torque wrench at home that goes down to 25 in/lbs. I'm at work tonight - I'll check when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks Dan-

Do you know where I can get a torque wrench that goes down that low?

Wahooman
Fri Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
I can get one to you on Monday if needed...let me know.

dgoldan
Fri Jan 2nd, 2004, 10:37 AM
Mine's a 3/8" drive, but it only goes from 60-960 in/lbs.

Let me know if you're interested or if Curtis can help you better.

Dan

Converting 5.5Nm, I get 48.7116 in/lbs. I think I have a torque wrench at home that goes down to 25 in/lbs. I'm at work tonight - I'll check when I get home tomorrow.

Bryce
Fri Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
iv'e got one that I think go's down to 40 in lbs but really at that low of torque your litterely talking about hand tight and it's very hard got get consistant torque at that low of a setting

mra828
Sat Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:43 AM
iv'e got one that I think go's down to 40 in lbs but really at that low of torque your litterely talking about hand tight and it's very hard got get consistant torque at that low of a setting

There are plenty of torque wrenches that are repeatable to +/- 2% all the way down into the inch-ounces. Just find the appropriate tool. And remember that most torque wrenches lose repeatability at the extremes of the range (usually top/bottom ~15% of range) so if you can find a wrench where the desired torque is in the middle of the range that's preferable.

Like Bryce said - it would be hard to get a repeatable reading with a wrench that only goes down to 40 in lbs... but if you can't find a different tool that one will certainly be better than finger tight...

geoff

Bryce
Sat Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
actually Geoff I was refering to the repeatablity of the operator it's supprising to learn how far over torqued many bolts are when people use click type torque wrenches I found this out big time when I bought the new snap on electronic torque wrench and it shows your acuall high torque :D

gotta love expensive new toys I mean tools :idea: