PDA

View Full Version : Gadget Guy Question

PharmerKyle
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 09:31 AM
My favorite droid and companion launched itself from my pocket on hwy 24 a couple of weeks ago. I am still uncertain whether this was technically a suicide or maybe the work of a pocket troll. I have decided on and bought a replacement with the same mono 3/32nd external speaker jack. The earpice for the new unit "must be purchased separately". Blast!

I have salvaged the earpiece from the 946, but it's pretty old and my home-soldering repair skills don't leave me feeling very confident. My question is where I would get a replacement. most headphones are stereo and 1/8th jack. "Hands-free" use 3/32 stereo jacks and the bands are wrong to engage the speaker. The thoughts I have are maybe an older-style earphone for mono cassete and reel to reel players from long, long ago or older hearing aid components. Anyone have a store or URL where this kind of artifact can be found??

Henry,Nick, Will... anyone?

PharmerKyle
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 09:38 AM
After posting & re-reading I need to clarify a few things.

Bel 946: Radar detector, battery operated and somewhat obsolete.

Pocket Troll: A malevolent being that launches disc players, radar detectors and occasionally U.S. currency from a pocket whilst in motion.

Mono: Anyone born 1970 to present will not know this one. It means that both ears hear the same tracks, so you might as well only use one.

FAQ's

Why use an external speaker?
Because watching the display with one eye is unsafe.

Why not just run?
Bike & rider are too slow + I have too much to lose.

Why post this in FOG?
A few hearing aid consumers and people that remember "mono" era present.

Hope that townies it up.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 09:41 AM
PK --- I use a cell phone headset. The beeps come through loud and clear.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Pitch the BEL, and get a Valentine One. The best radar/laser detector. Period. Trust me.

PharmerKyle
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM
N_N- Of the various headsets that I have, none are both loud and/or clear. 2 of them don't even beep at all. Bel no longer sells the 946 or the external speaker. Neither Cobra or PNI sell a version. So far, my home soldering job performs the best. I still need to find a second for PharmaWife (aka DucGirl).

C_M- How about I hire you to ride "point" for me with your V-1? I don't really want to spend that much. I also don't really ride that fast either. Thanks for the input anyway.

I may just have to get this:
http://www.tesseractcorp.com/images/xma3_pictures/xma3ObliqueFixedCropped_small.JPG
http://www.tesseractcorp.com/xma3.htm#Bike%20Powered%20xma3
The ultimate companion for anyone wanting to be distracted by music, radar, GPS, phone, 2-way, camera, or whatever while trying to keep the rubber side down.

3/4gixxer
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I have a Cobra detector with a 3/32 jack (go ahead, give me crap about the Cobra). I went to Radio Shack and got an adaptor to go to the 1/8 and it works great. Is this what you're talking about?

PharmerKyle
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I guess that's the best way to go (and gee whiz, you're my age even).
I wanted to avoid having the adapter stick out another 1/2 inch. I'm afraid it would cause more wear & tear on the jack. Still, $3 for an adapter works better than destroying another headset.

I can't really give you crap for getting a Cobra. I have one for the cage and it does fine for what it is. The make & model of detector is only one variable in a very complicated equation of whether you'll get a ticket or not. Reaction time, brakes, traction and what mood the LEO may be in can outweigh even the V-1. I'm a pretty mild offender, even on a good day.

Do you pocket yours or mount to windscreen? I have a mount for 1 bike and use a tank bag pocket on another.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I'm afraid it would cause more wear & tear on the jack.

It does ---- and it's NOT good.

3/4gixxer
Fri Jun 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Actually, I have a mixer to combine it with my Ipod so I have a tank bag to hold the ipod (easy access to change tunes) and the mixer as well as my other crap. The height of the tank bag works out pretty well so I just have it velcro'd to the top of it. It's done well so far (quick, gotta knock on some wood). Like you though, I'm only a mild offender for the most part.

Lee
Tue Jun 13th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I bought a set of stereo ear buds at an electronics store, plugged them into my Passport 8500 X50, found the one speaker that provided sound, and cut the wire to the other one. This solution was completely satisfactory.

Lee

Snowman
Thu Jun 29th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I have an old 8-track out of my 72 Mustang around here somewhere. I’m sure you can make a mounting bracket out of something.