PDA

View Full Version : We're heading your way!

Diva1
Wed Jan 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Hello to all!
:hibye:
Our small nationwide FZR forum is trying to plan a group meet. We're leaning toward Denver area since it's fairly central for everyone. So we have a few questions to ask and welcome any suggestions.

Do you think Denver would be a good destination?
Best time to come out? May, June, or July?
Are there tracks nearby that you recommend?
Any races or track days that we could consider planning the trip around?
Any suggested day rides that you prefer?
What to see for those that can't bring their bikes or spouses left at the hotel?

Again, thanks for your input! Can't wait to get into your neck of the woods! :D

Anonymous
Wed Jan 7th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Welcome! I will try and answer your questions and I'm sure others can add to this as well...

1. Denver's a great destination! Lots of places to ride close to the city...
2. July will be the hottest of those months. I recommend late May or June.
3. Tracks for what? Are you looking to ride or watch? The AMA races will be happening at PPIR the 3rd week of may, and our local race club the MRA has races going on at various points. http://www.mra-racing.org though the 04 schedule may not be posted yet.
4. You can ride the local track (Second Creek, or Pueblo actually) any day there isn't an event, plus the MRA races are at those tracks. Many people from this club race now as well.
5. Rides? Go west, find road. Just post here when you decide when you'll be out, there will be people here that can go with you and show you some great mountain twisties. We have thousands of miles of them...
6. Sports, the city, sightseeing (i.e. mountains and drives plus historic type stuff), etc... Actually since I live here I'm having a hard time thinking of tourist type things to suggest... :|

Anonymous
Wed Jan 7th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Though the MRA schedule probably isn't posted on their site yet, my own race team has it up on ours...

http://www.teamskinny.net/php/getskinny.php

Right side, the MRA races listed, plus the AMA one for the pro's. Only Pueblo track info is available now, the rest will be up in a week or so.

Anonymous
Wed Jan 7th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Local track info can be found here:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/rides.html

The "Rides" on the 2nd part of the page never got off the ground although it's still something we're planning on doing. :oops:

Hozerking
Wed Jan 7th, 2004, 05:22 PM
+1

I second that!

-al

Diva1
Thu Jan 8th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys! We found a local rider that's helping us out with the plans, too. So keep us in mind if you think of anything else and I'll check back.

Til then, look forward to spring riding! :D

Diva1
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 08:54 AM
Hello again. Well it's official, we're coming during the AMA race in May at PPIR. We're all very excited but would like some suggestions on where to stay or places to avoid. Some will be staying in a hotel, others will be camping. Do you have some favorite or least favorite camping spots?

I'm sure more questions will be coming.

Thanks!

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM
Be prepared for a FUN time!! Lots-o-roads to blast on around here.

Here is a good link to Colorado Springs tourism:

http://www.coloradosprings-travel.com/

Anonymous
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 07:51 PM
For camping I'm not sure what's around there. Regarding the AMA's themselves and hotels, you might check out the thread on the AMA races, sticky at the top of the General forum. We were going to set up a group discount rate at a local hotel.

Ripper
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 09:12 PM
Hey Diva1, I have plenty of room for all the ladies to stay @ my house...

Diva1
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks Ripper! ;)

I posted the hotel info on our board (which was down yesterday) to see if anyone wants to get in on the group rates. I'll let you boys know.

Any yummy restaurants we can't miss?

Hoopty
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Not in the Springs! :lol:

Anonymous
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:30 AM
There's some tasty stuff at Bourbon Street/RumBay... :twisted:

I dunno about any food in the area however. :D Last time we ended up at some ghetto fast food seafood place...

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:38 AM
Even though these guys mean well and have the BEST OF INTENTIONS --- remember, we are BIKERS :twisted: :evil:

There is more to 'The Springs' than just McDonalds :D

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/uploads/1GoldenBeeLRG.jpg

GOLDEN BEE PUB
It is an understatement to call this bar an authentic English pub: nearly 40 years ago, the Broadmoor Hotel bought the pub and had it moved from England to the hotel's Colorado Springs property. The atmosphere is warm and inviting—perfect for enjoying one of its many imported beers. Drinking from one of the Yard glasses is a quick way to get intoxicated. If you require food, dig into an English delight like a piping hot meat pie. Stop by in the evening for live piano entertainment and bar-wide sing-alongs.
Details

Address: 1 Lake Circle
Colorado Springs 80906
United States

Neighborhood: South

Phone: +1 719 577 5776

Hours: 11:30am-1:30am daily

towneh
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:44 AM
aarrrrggggggg, the post is goin' WIDE again....

anyway, the Golden Bee is a great place to hang.... get your pints and enjoy a good, sharp cheddar cheese spread on your biscuit! got to one of the evening sing-alongs and have an embroidered "bee" flung at ya! 8)

aye, its a good tyme,
henry

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
towneh screamed:

aarrrrggggggg, the post is goin' WIDE again....

Sorry bro :D

FZRguy
Sat Jan 24th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Any of us would be happy to show you guys some cool rides! PPIR is located in Fountain just south of Colorado Springs, which is about 65 miles south of Denver. A possible cheap lodging alternative is Colorado College in Colo Spgs. I’ve rented a dorm room there during the summer for $25 per night. I don’t know if they will be available during the races. Phone is 719-389-6000.

There is a ton of things to do in Denver and in Colo Spgs, from Six Flags/Elitches to Ocean Journey to Garden of the Gods to a train ride to the Pikes Peak Summit (or you can hike up and ride the train down). Just depends on if you want to ride more or sightsee more. Or do both and ride to some destination like Steamboat Springs. Or head up to the gambling town of Cripple Creek, where the road is nice and twisty. Royal Gorge and whitewater rafting is another idea. Fargo's is a great pizza/pasta place in the Springs not to be missed. I could go on, but you get the drift.

You’re welcome to give me a call at 303-794-2623. BTW, what’s the address of your club?

Diva1
Mon Jan 26th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks!

We're at www.fzrarchives.com. A bunch of really great guys, and a few girls. Great place for FZR specific advice.

I think the main thing we're having trouble with is camping spots since those from the east coast are coming in RV's and trailers. I haven't browsed much on the web, but if you hear of any that people really liked, please let us know.

I'm sure we'll be contacting you. :D

Anonymous
Mon Jan 26th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Check KOA for campsites, they have locations with RV hookups and I believe there is one not too far from PPIR and Colorado Springs.

Dietrich_R1
Fri Jan 30th, 2004, 07:14 AM
WHERE is everyone mainly com'n from?

Diva1
Fri Jan 30th, 2004, 09:14 AM
We're all scattered about, but mainly eastern US. Me - Oregon :D others are from SLC, Oklahoma, Indiana, Virginia, Texas, Michigan, Kansas. Some of the east coasters are renting an RV and trailer and driving straight through. Sad, but I'm flying over so I won't even have my bike, but I'm bringing my helmet and volunteered to ride on back of those who offer. ;)

Still don't have a confirmed list of who is actually coming, but we're working on it.

KooLaid
Sat Jan 31st, 2004, 12:59 AM
There's some tasty stuff at Bourbon Street/RumBay... :twisted:

I dunno about any food in the area however. :D Last time we ended up at some ghetto fast food seafood place...

PERVERT!!!! HEHEHEH! Too bad you wouldn't want the life long after taste........I'm sure the guys know what i mean...... :drink:

Jix6
Sat Jan 31st, 2004, 11:18 AM
Some campgrounds I found quickly:
http://www.falconmeadowrvcampground.com
http://www.fountaincreekrvpark.com
http://www.coloradocampground.com
http://www.maymuseum-camp-rvpark.com

Those are some in the springs area.

Diva1
Mon Feb 16th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Now it's time for recommendations on restaurants. Any favorites we shouldn't pass up in the Springs - good beer, good food, won't break the bank?

:D

GSL
Tue Feb 17th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Now it's time for recommendations on restaurants. Any favorites we shouldn't pass up in the Springs - good beer, good food, won't break the bank?

:D

In Colorado Springs -

Breakfast
King Chef - if you like cliqueish rude food, bangin elbows with world class bicyclists, sassy waitresses and insane spicy green chili

Up the canyon towards Woodland Park - The Pantry, in Green Moutain Falls

Dinner
Microbrews and good eats at fair prices - The Phantom Canyon Brewery

El Tesoro - Santa Fe style New Mexican (not "how much cheese can you load on it cheap azz Mexican")

Il Vicino - good pizza, decent microbrews and right downtown on Tejon St.

Those "Tequilas" and "Rum Bay" places are meat markets, if that's your thing, but I think you'd be better off saving your money and going for the real thing up in Denver (Shotgun Willies, The Cabaret, etc.) Hoopty can prolly help you on the best of the best in this category... ;)

~Barn~
Tue Feb 17th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I just now found this thread, so I figure I'd throw this out there...

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3850

If your, or any of your group are interested in watching the AMA races in a track suite, see the above thread. We've done this for 3 years now, and I think it's the only way to go. If the thread details still leave you with questions, send me a PM. Enjoy your trip out here, and hopefully we all have an opportunity to enjoy a ride together.

Diva1
Wed May 5th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Hello again!

It's only a little over 2 weeks away. Those of us that are coming are really excited.

I'm hoping to officially make a plan for two rides on Saturday, one in the morning, one after lunch. Since we're fish out of water over there, I was curious if any of you would like to join us as our "guides." We'll be based in Colorado Springs, some of us are staying at the Embassy Suites for the weekend. Possibly someone to be the leader for one or both of our rides. Nothing too aggressive, just fun.

If anyone would like to volunteer, let me know. If not, we'll make do.

Thanks so much!
Diva

Mista Black
Sat May 8th, 2004, 11:06 AM
I don't work Saturdays so I'm in. I do work at the Radisson North, though, so I can't actually go onto the property of other Hotels (j/k). Anyway, the Springs has some of the best kick butt rides in the state close by so you are all in for a good time.

As far as aggressiveness goes: I'm on a Beemer... they're nice and slow :D 8)

Diva1
Tue May 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Awesome! We'll be in touch.

Anyone else is welcome, too. :D

nikki will help
Sat Jan 29th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Hey Diva 1,

I know a great place in the Springs (CO) that has great hotel rates. Just call and tell them Nicole gave you a referral & you will get a GREAT discount. Nice Rooms. (I work there) Its called J's Motor Hotel. They are located @ 820 N. Nevada ave close to downtown, close to college, close to tracks, the number is 719- 633- 5513 dial 0 for the office. :idea:

Mother Goose
Sat Jan 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM
ummmmm.... how old is this??!!! :lol:

Wahooman
Sat Jan 29th, 2005, 10:59 AM
May 2004.....then to January 2005, some kind of time travel :lol:

MSienkiewicz
Thu Feb 17th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Am I trippin' or what? How does my name appear on a post two weeks prior to my first login? :roll:

Bueller
Fri Feb 18th, 2005, 05:19 AM
This thread refuses to die :guns:

Stick around and maybe some one will explain the stupid tag to you.....again.

Mista Black
Fri Feb 18th, 2005, 06:29 AM
this was for a year ago!! let it die... just let it die!!

NZ Darren
Fri Feb 18th, 2005, 06:40 AM
So did they come?

Mista Black
Fri Feb 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM
yep they did... and they had a good time playing catch up with Cricket :D