PDA

View Full Version : CRF250R or CFR250X

Filo
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
So I am looking to get a dirt bike and supermoto it out. I decided on a 250 so that Bueller can continue to pass me like I am standing still and I can continue to blame it on the bike (which is not the reason) rather than my riding skill versus his (which is the reason).

I have 2 choices, both bikes are basically stock:

2005 CRF250R - Used, about 75 hours. $4000
2005 CRF250X - Brand new from an unnamed source (but not where you would expect) $5061.

Both prices exclude tax, there will be a tax difference too, about $100. I might also want to ride it on the street in sumo trim.

I am planning on making this a super moto but keeping the dirt stuff so that I can do the occasional day at the MX track and (and this is more important) go trail riding with it. What would you choose and why?

Bueller
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM
:D 450 :D duhh!

I don't seem to be able to vote :dunno:

Filo
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM
:D 450 :D duhh!

I don't seem to be able to vote :dunno:

I can't do a 450. Too fast. Scares me.

You should be able to vote now.

R1chie
Thu Jun 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM
If money is not an issue 250x. The motocrossers can be had for cheap because of the glut of them on the market.

The x has wider ratio transmission. First is lower (better for slow speed dirtbiking) 5th is higher for fire roads. It has electric start. It has a bigger flywheel weigh, (better for not stalling on slow speed trails.

If you were going to mostly race motocross, I would go the other direction. You did not say if you would supermoto it on the street. Much easier to street legalize the X. The only disadvantage is weight but it has so many other advantages for trail biking supermoto that these outweight the slight increase in weight.

Dysco
Fri Jun 9th, 2006, 07:37 PM
X. Impressive bike and easy to plate.

BigE
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Hey Adam, if the priority is on trails and dual sporting, definitely the X, but if you're going to get serious about SuperMoto go with the MXer.

Bryce
Sat Jun 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM
big e pretty much nailed it if you plan on being competetive in supermoto buy the R if you plan on ding much street riding the x will be cheaper to get setup and street legal plus neither one is exactly a pooch

Bryce