PDA

View Full Version : Assembly charge

ss396
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I see a retail price tag of $8795 on a bike, and decide to buy it. Then the salesman tells me there is also an extra "assembly" charge of $250. What's up with that? :x I can understand paying taxes and license and such like when you buy a new car. And if you buy a bicycle, the price tag is what you pay - they don't ask for another $50 for an "assembly" charge.
Is this normal? If it is, it sucks. :x It seems kinda sleezy to advertise the bike assembled and then tell you the advertised price is not really what is advertised. :cry:

Bueller
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Tell them you won't pay it and walk out.

~Barn~
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 09:11 PM
What Bueller said. Especially if it's not some "new release" bike, either.

ss396
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
O.K. I get it! I should offer them $250 less than the tag price!? :321:

~Barn~
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Well, that's kind of a weird way of doing it, cause then they'll probably tell you that the setup charge is $500. :lol:

Just tell them they you'll pay XYZ price, but that they have to waive that fee. If they're not down, then tell them you're bound to find a dealership that will. :dunno:

Buddau
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Work'em man! Don't pay it! Tell them you are going to shop around for a better price. Then walk out.
Play all the dealers against each other. Get them to work for your buisness. "This dealer said I could get this bike for this much, can you beat that price?"

denverbusa
Wed Jun 14th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Be straight up with them. Tell them you are going to other dealerships to shop prices and if they want you to come back then to give you their best price. ask them to quote OTD (out the door). If you are paying cash they'll often knock another 100 off.

Go to Gay Meyers first so you can get the "blow you off" treatment out of the way. They told me until I sat down and filled out a credit form they couldn't even talk to me. I don't recommend letting them run a credit report until you are ready to do businness with a dealership it just hurts your credit having all kinds of people running credit checks. Tell them you have it all approved with your own credit union and that it is unnecessesary for them to run it, that usually handles the issue.

Teflon
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I had that taken OFF (set up fees) when I bought my bike and 40% off all accessories purchased with the bike... ie helmet, leather riding jacket, gloves.... and I had another $700 taken off the price of the bike,

then I spit in their faces and told them they will LIKE it!

all true, didn't spit in their faces,... their coffee....... maybe....NOT

Feathered upstart!
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 12:23 AM
All of thier BS fees are just that. BS.

Of course I'm one to talk as I just got ass rammed for a good chuck of change for no reason what so ever :?

Devaclis
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM
All of thier BS fees are just that. BS.

Of course I'm one to talk as I just got ass rammed for a good chuck of change for no reason what so ever :?

It was for the ass ramming, no other reason, just the ramming, of the ass.

Feathered upstart!
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM
That was the most expensive ass ramming

R1chie
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
When I have tried to deal with Springs shops, they will not take this fee off. Some Denver shops I called around to would not take it off, some will. Better shop around but I would not pay it. The other option is after you negotiated a good price, then have them take that $250 out of the price of the bike otherwise run away and look for another dealership.

livinlife2themax
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I know for a fact that these dealers will work for you!!!! i found a 06 cbr 1000rr for $9500 out the door + tax in OK. I called around and got the dealers to drop from the $11,300 msrp+ the all the freakin extras that they tac on to $10,000 out the door + tax. So they will work i also got them to drop all that extra crap off for my buddy he is getting a 06 gsxr 1000 for $11,000 + tax. WORK THEM!!!!!

ebazyl
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Work'em man! Don't pay it! Tell them you are going to shop around for a better price.

Anybody that I know that works in a dealership will tell you this is the wrong way to go about things, that people sell to people they like and all that BS. I DON"T BUY IT. Dealerships are a buisness, and generally pay the same for the bikes they got. Shop around, if this is a japanesse bike you are buying call all the places then take the best deal.

From my partial understanding all the : Dealership fees, set-up fees, shipping fees, fee fee are all bs. It cost them $30 to run the paperwork on the bike thats about it.

Kim&Dean can probably provide better advice since Dean gets off on beating up sales people. :D

ss396
Thu Jun 15th, 2006, 08:27 PM
:D Great info. Thanks!

Clarkie
Mon Jun 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Anybody that I know that works in a dealership will tell you this is the wrong way to go about things, that people sell to people they like and all that BS. I DON"T BUY IT. Dealerships are a buisness, and generally pay the same for the bikes they got. Shop around, if this is a japanesse bike you are buying call all the places then take the best deal.

From my partial understanding all the : Dealership fees, set-up fees, shipping fees, fee fee are all bs. It cost them $30 to run the paperwork on the bike thats about it.

Kim&Dean can probably provide better advice since Dean gets off on beating up sales people. :D

i know you wont believe me, but i get paid by the dealership i work for (Twin Peaks Powersports) to uncrate and PDI every bike, some pay a lot more than others. so the 'those fees are BS' doesnt exactly hold true in some situations :)

rather than haggle over $250 see what else the dealership has to offer you, you know, things like competent parts staff, mechanics that wont f&ck things up on your bike because they know what they are doing, simple stuff like that. sure $250 is a a lot of money, but finding a dealership with good staff (mechanics) is like finding a good car mechanic that you know wont screw you over :banghead:

trust me, you dont want to knows what is done to your bike in some shops when you arent watching, and i would rather pay the $250 for piece of mind and good service :)

Wahooman
Mon Jun 26th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Clarkie beat me to this.....
I agree in the fact you need to see what the dealership is offering. No matter what you think there is assembly. I guess dealerships could just leave the bikes crated and you buy a bike you could bring a forklift, load it on a trailer, take it home, unload it, assembly it, ensure everything is torqued to specifications, test all systems, and put your personal "stamp" on it that is is a road worthy vehicle.....seems like a lot of work to me and not a quick and easy thing (of course depends on the bike).
Believe it or not dealerships just like any other business in the world is out there to make $$. It puzzles me everytime a post like this comes up and I continually read about lowest prices, not paying for certain things, rip offs, etc.......
You can relate this to any business or service out there......Let me ask you this......
When you go out to eat and have a nice steak dinner and the price say $32.00 do you tell them you are not going to pay that price and not want your meal prepped and prepared properly? You are paying for their expertise and service. I guess you could try to take your own steak which might run you $5.00 but I have feeling they will turn you away at the door. They pay the same amount for the meat...probably less.....but in making money, they too have an "assembly" charge.
Sorry to ramble but I hope that makes some sense.....the fact some of you are saying BS is simply not true and false. I would hate to shop with some of you if that is how you are in any situation.....groceries, clothes, movies, etc.......
Think of the industry you are in and how it would affect you if the roles were reversed.
(ok, I am done, proceed :) )

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Jun 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM
This may or may not be news to you all.

http://www.fremontmotorsports.com/HTML/sale_price.htm

They will sell you a 2006 Yamaha R1 for $10,399(a $1,000 under MSRP)+35.00(title paper work) + whatever your tax rate is.

As you can see on the webpage at/near the top of page, "Prices below includes prep/ freight to dealer/ and any other dealer fee."

I am currently in the market for a new bike, and at least two local Denver metro area dealers have agreed to honor what I could pay at Fremont.

Something to consider...

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Ahh come on now all. They have to take the bike out of the big crate and wheel it on the floor.... Aint that worth 250 - 400 bucks? Thats what I charge.. AHAHA

THey all put it on there but if the bike aint new than they will knock it off just as easy. If its a new bike and on order.... U will pay what ever they want U to pay.. cause if U dont the 10 guys behind you will pay it.

THe fee is worthless and they can tell U all the things they do for it..but in the end its just way to increase margin and keep the MSRP the same. Good luck hope U get a new ride soon...

The GECCO
Tue Jun 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Clarkie beat me to this.....
I agree in the fact you need to see what the dealership is offering. No matter what you think there is assembly. I guess dealerships could just leave the bikes crated and you buy a bike you could bring a forklift, load it on a trailer, take it home, unload it, assembly it, ensure everything is torqued to specifications, test all systems, and put your personal "stamp" on it that is is a road worthy vehicle.....seems like a lot of work to me and not a quick and easy thing (of course depends on the bike).
Believe it or not dealerships just like any other business in the world is out there to make $$. It puzzles me everytime a post like this comes up and I continually read about lowest prices, not paying for certain things, rip offs, etc.......
You can relate this to any business or service out there......Let me ask you this......
When you go out to eat and have a nice steak dinner and the price say $32.00 do you tell them you are not going to pay that price and not want your meal prepped and prepared properly? You are paying for their expertise and service. I guess you could try to take your own steak which might run you $5.00 but I have feeling they will turn you away at the door. They pay the same amount for the meat...probably less.....but in making money, they too have an "assembly" charge.
Sorry to ramble but I hope that makes some sense.....the fact some of you are saying BS is simply not true and false. I would hate to shop with some of you if that is how you are in any situation.....groceries, clothes, movies, etc.......
Think of the industry you are in and how it would affect you if the roles were reversed.
(ok, I am done, proceed :) )
Curtis makes some good points, as usual....but - to use his illustration - if you go to Texas Roadhouse and see a steak on the menu for $10.00, you don't expect to get the bill and see "$2.00 cooking fee" added at the bottom.

I think there is some fault on both sides here. Dealerships aren't as "up front" about the final cost of the bike as they could be, and most consumers aren't educated enough to discern this until later in the transaction, then they feel like they've been had.

I can see why dealers don't come right out and add that stuff into the advertised price - if the competition across the street doesn't do it, you look more expensive even though it's all pretty much the same in the end.

So, for the consumers there is an easy solution - Communicate! Be reasonable! First off, forget what the tag hanging off the mirror says and simply ask for something in writing that lists the TOTAL price if the transaction. You are either willing to pay it or you aren't. Don't be insulted that they add in extra fees, they are trying just as hard to make money as you are trying to save it. Somewhere in the middle there should be a place where you are both happy and if a compromise can be reached, so be it. If not, neither side should take it personally or be bitter about it.

JOE!!!!!!
Tue Jun 27th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I think the standing question is, "Why do the dealers tack on these extra charges?" Because they can. And people will pay them. When I was shopping for my 06 R1, I was told by one dealer, "This is the prep charge ($500) and this is the freight charge ($400). Every bike has these added on, no exceptions." Now THAT was bs. I played a little while longer there and moved on. I was paying cash, so i just wanted to know what the OTD price was, plus tax. They don't know what the tax will be until you tell them where you live. BTW, make sure you know what your actual tax rate is. I live in unincorporated Jeffco, but my mailing address is Arvada. Big difference in sales taxes. I'm always quoted the Arvada rate - I have to correct them each time. The dealer I ended up with (Colorado Powersports) gave me a decent bottom line price and then separated out a prep charge. This may be for tax purposes, I'm not sure. Dealers all want the same thing: to sell you a bike, for as much as they can get. That's not screwing you, or deceptive in any way. I did a little research and learned that dealer invoice on a 2006 R1 was roughly $9600. I knew I wasn't gonna get one for that. So I shopped around, and asked for the OTD price, plus tax. If I was told there would be xyz added on, I held up a hand and said, "Whatever. What's the bottom line?"

Feathered upstart!
Tue Jun 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I got fucked for 625 bucks "setup" on my new bike:banghead:

Wahooman
Thu Jun 29th, 2006, 09:16 AM
"Why do the dealers tack on these extra charges?"
Because techs don't work for free....someone is being paid to assemble the bike and prep it....see Clarkie's post above.........:banghead: :)

rforsythe
Thu Jun 29th, 2006, 09:25 AM
So what about all those reports that the manufacturer reimburses the dealership for assembly and prep? True? Not true?

mtx1
Fri Jun 30th, 2006, 03:47 PM
This may or may not be news to you all.

http://www.fremontmotorsports.com/HTML/sale_price.htm

They will sell you a 2006 Yamaha R1 for $10,399(a $1,000 under MSRP)+35.00(title paper work) + whatever your tax rate is.

As you can see on the webpage at/near the top of page, "Prices below includes prep/ freight to dealer/ and any other dealer fee."

I am currently in the market for a new bike, and at least two local Denver metro area dealers have agreed to honor what I could pay at Fremont.

Something to consider...

Go to fremont motorsports. They WILL deal with you. They have been great to me i have bought 2 bikes from them. They have great service great customer support and their prices always beat everyone else because they are a small town shop and not out to make top dollar. Get your bike from someone who will take care of you AFTER the sale! just my 2 cents

Clarkie
Fri Jun 30th, 2006, 11:18 PM
So what about all those reports that the manufacturer reimburses the dealership for assembly and prep? True? Not true?

true - on some bikes the technician gets jacked, on others it is about right. but remember as well as building the bike, you have to pay a lot tech to unload it, wash it afterwards, you sometimes have crate disposal etc. sure it doesnt break the bank but all those little costs add up quick.

The biggest problem with the powersports industry is that it is loads of fun, so everyone expects shop owners to do it for fun as well, unfortuneately when they have a nut to crack every month, and i have rent to pay each month they will try to make a profit and i will keep food on the table.

There are a lot of people who havent actually got a clue about the powersports industry speculating about what is going on and all that does is get people who believe everything they read pissed off before they even set foot in the dealership.

OEM's are starting to come down hard on dealers that whore out product and live off the holdback, soon if you advertise or sell out of your area you will lose your holdback, this means internet sales, ebay etc. this is the same thing that has happened with a lot of the helmet companies, ie. you cant 'advertise' for less than 10% off of MSRP etc.

The powersports industry has one of the highest staff turnover rates of any industry out there, this is because dealers who whore products out (like the above mentioned dealer/s) have a certain busines model which only benefits one person (the dealer principle), they dont pay their staff shit because they arent making a profit on the bikes or parts, the staff get pissed and leave, then you have some pimply faced kid fresh out of MMI with a piece of paper that says he knows how to work on your $10,000 motorcycle with a hammer, and some other kid behind the parts counter that doesnt give a shit about your prozed possession and is only working there to get cheap parts for themself.

There is a Motorcycle Industry News magazine that is only avaliable to dealers, this magazine paints a good picture of what is happening in each market, it breaks it down into every segment (scooters/dirt/quads/trail/street-sport/street-cruiser etc) and is an interesting read, lets just say get to know your dealer now as they may not be around for long if they continue their current business model :)

livinlife2themax
Sun Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
when i bought my new cbr 1000rr..it was still in the crate (they had to put it together), i saw it with my own two eyes....As far as that particular bike goes...all they have to do is put the windshield on and fill it up with fluids..... I know not all bikes are the same, but how in the hell are some of these places gonna charge over $300 to put it together..then over $200 to service it???? That seems like highway robbery!