PDA

View Full Version : Installing new headers info

BlueDevil
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Well the new system will be here in a few days. I have not had to install headers before. So I was curious if there was anything special I needed to pick up? Any goop or sealant that should be put on each piece as I mount it? The system comes with all the hardware/springs for mounting but I just wanted to make sure I had the right supplies.

Any other tips for mounting are appreciated as well. Thanks all

D

towneh
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 10:28 AM
well BD, I may be doing the same thing soon..... please tell us the where, what, etc of your pipe purchase. I'm guessing that you went 4-1 for weight and clearance..... I've never done a bike exhaust system either so I'm looking to words of wisdom from the 'Masters'.
tell us more,
henry

Anonymous
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 10:29 AM
If the new system doesn't come with gaskets (1 for each pipe), take care removing the old headers & you should be able to reuse the gaskets. I didn't know this when I put the full system on my ZX-11 and had 1 or 2 pipes connected w/o gaskets. :oops: :lol:

That's about all the advice I can offer. Have fun! :D

BlueDevil
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Well I tried everyone I could think of. I got a thousand quotes and overall go the best price I could come up with.

Got a deal from Shawn at tricktape (for being a member of Cycle forums) Next closest was kneedraggers.com (Bout 48.00 more)

I wont quote the price sine it was dependant on being a member of that site but I can tell you it was low 600's shipped

I ended up getting a full Hindle with Supersport Ti race can.

Ill take care when removing old stuff just in case. I am assuming it will come with the gaskets as well but who knows.... Found out I should not need any sealant either. Should be a fun weekend project.

Hozerking
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 11:35 AM
put some antizeize on the threads :D someone will thankyou later, I even put it on on the gaskets, guarantee easy reamoval later! ..... if you end up damaging one when you take the oem off you'll know why I like to use antizeize. Good luck!

-al

BlueDevil
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Bike shop?
Hardware shop?

WHere shall I go for some of this magic potion

:D

Hozerking
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Bike shop?
Hardware shop?

WHere shall I go for some of this magic potion

:D

You can pick the stuff up at any car parts store like Checker or PepBoys.

its a silver-ish color and looks goopie, but is make for assembling exhaust components, should be easy to find.

-al

BlueDevil
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Ill look into it.

Bryce
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 07:59 PM
it's also a great idea to toss a dab on sparkplugs too

MattTLS
Mon Jan 12th, 2004, 09:25 PM
If the exhaust is stainless, after you're done with the installation, clean the whole system with glass cleaner or similar so that fingerprints don't burn into the finish.

Matthew

BlueDevil
Tue Jan 13th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Interesting. I would not have thought of that. Will do.