PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm sliders

Dysco
Sat Jan 17th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Is there any way to attach swingarm sliders to my dirtbike? I figure that's about the only expensive item vulnerable in a lowside (on the road).

firefghtr
Sat Jan 17th, 2004, 04:26 PM
:dunno: fabricate some metal ones and weld them on :dunno:

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jan 19th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Is there any way to attach swingarm sliders to my dirtbike? I figure that's about the only expensive item vulnerable in a lowside (on the road).

I'm sure I can machine ya somethin'. I need to look at it though for a mounting position.

Dysco
Mon Jan 19th, 2004, 06:27 PM
thanks Dean- I looked and couldn't find anything to mount it to- might have to get creative. I'll hit you up next week or something.

irdave
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 02:28 PM
I installed "nutserts" or "threadserts" on my F2 swing arm. Just drilled the swingarm in the middle near the back, installed 'em, and screwed in some spools. Works great.

friscokidd
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 02:46 PM
thanks Dean- I looked and couldn't find anything to mount it to- might have to get creative.

i think duck tape, saftywire, and zip ties are inorder for that... :lol: :lol:

Talk to ripper, he has some HELLA big zip ties :lol: :lol: ;)

Mother Goose
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
thanks Dean- I looked and couldn't find anything to mount it to- might have to get creative.

don't forget about the hammer :idea:

friscokidd
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 02:51 PM

don't forget about the hammer :idea:

how can i forget :slap: oh yea....an JB weld....cant forget that either :up:

Mother Goose
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 02:55 PM
how can i forget :slap: oh yea....an JB weld....cant forget that either :up:
JB weld is the poo 8)

KooLaid
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:36 AM
I had a similar wanting for my F4i. I was wondering, what about drilling a small hole for the spool bolt, tapping it for the threads? I mean drill into the machined piece welded on after the box section on the end of the swingarm infront of the axle and on the lower portion??? No welding, small hole......safe? risky?

yakuza
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:32 AM
I'll be drilling my swingarm for spools sometime in the next couple months, but I don't think I'd drill it where you are suggesting. There's already holes tapped and nutserts in the swingarm for your brake line brackets, a couple more won't hurt. :)

Dysco
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:23 AM
Fill me in on this nutsert thing- I haven't heard the term before. Pics?

yakuza
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:33 AM
Google is your friend! :D

http://www.avdel.textron.com/index.htm?products/threaded/thin_sert.htm

Dysco
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:48 AM
Dammit- I usually bust out the google on fools. Sweet animation. Question answered. Sankyouveddymush

KooLaid
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:49 AM
I've seen the kits being sold with spools before by Lockhart, but I can't find it anymore. ALEX, what size spools are you gonna go with? kawa 10mm, Suzuki 8mm or Yamaha 6mm??? I don't know what standard size the hondas with spools are.

yakuza
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
I can't think of any Honda's that come with spools. :? But I think the 8mm is the right size. It won't really matter though, just buy the size spool you want, and then get nutserts that will fit the spool post. :up:

Edit: Yeah, Dysco, I thought that animation was awesome!

KooLaid
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
You do yours, I'll check it out, then I'll do mine. I kinda would like the look of welding a "boss" under the swingarm and putting spools there too. Rather not real with jacked up paint though.

ALEX, do you know know this person? Alice Palmer MRA #666, I guess she has spools on her F4i, was wondering how they looked and came out.

yakuza
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:18 PM
I've seen a few F4i's with spools, some people weld aluminum stock to the swingarm, some people drill and use nutserts. I'll do mine in the next month or so and let you know how it works out. There's a tutorial at cbrworld.net

cosp600rr
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:01 PM
my 600rr came with the piece under the swingarm that is threaded for spools. They are 8mm

mikesf4i
Fri Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:45 PM
just my $.02
We call "nutserts" rivnuts and use them to hold pieces of plastic together on helicopter interiors. We do not use them for many stuctural uses. They seem to spin in the material that they are mounted in. I have seen quit a few on our older aircraft that were installed by other companies that use them for structural purposes, and they do not seem to hold up well.

KooLaid
Sat Jan 24th, 2004, 05:52 PM
So what are you recommending then mike?

mikesf4i
Sat Jan 24th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Dysco
are you just looking to avoid damage?
After re reading this thread,I noticed that you started out talking about sliders and people ended up talking about spools. Spools for race stands? There is a big difference in the strength requirements for those two items. Me personally I wouldnt use a rivnut for spools and there is no way it will hold a slider on in a crash. You could look at having Dean machine you some type of peg that mounts under your axle bolt like a freestyle bicycle. I would use steel or 6061 alluminum for a base and thread a delrin slider into it.(you could use 7075 but it may be to brittle for a crash) Leave a lot of overlap and dont make the delrin part to long or it may shear off instead of sliding. Unless your riding in the snow again :lol: . Let me know if you think this would work or send me a pic of your swingarm and ill see if i can come up with something else.

As for spools I would drill and tap the hole in the side of your swingarm. Most of the stress should be on the top and bottom of your swingarm. Although there is some stress on the sides so I would keep the holes fairly small and be sure to deburr them.

KooLaid
Sun Jan 25th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Dysco
are you just looking to avoid damage?
After re reading this thread,I noticed that you started out talking about sliders and people ended up talking about spools......
As for spools I would drill and tap the hole in the side of your swingarm. Most of the stress should be on the top and bottom of your swingarm.

Well when he mentions swingarm sliders, I'm sure you're familar with those for street bikes, they make regular spools and slider spools. That would explain how it got from sliders to race stand spools. Some of us are looking into adding spools to our bikes, as dysco was looking for ways to add sliders to his dirt swingarm. For us, we think "Spool Sliders!"

As for drillig and tapping a hole, how exactly would you do that? The swingarm is a hollow box section, can't exactly "tap" threads into a thin sheet of aluminum. Unless you mean the machined section at the end like I mentioned earlier. Only problem is it'll be too close to the axle for wheel removal/adjustment. Me and Alex would surely like to know if there is a better option, I mean the three of us ride the same bikes, the F4i.

KooLaid
Sun Jan 25th, 2004, 02:21 AM
I can't think of any Honda's that come with spools. :? But I think the 8mm is the right size. It won't really matter though, just buy the size spool you want, and then get nutserts that will fit the spool post. :up:

I believe the Rc-51, 954, 600rr and maybe even the 929 came with spools and they're 8mm.

yakuza
Sun Jan 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
No kidding, so it's just the lousy F4i that doesn't have spool mounts? What a bummer. Well, my hesitation to weld onto the swingarm is that I've heard welding aluminum takes a fair bit of skill, and it would also probably involve painting the swingarm again. Also, opinions on whether the heat from welding would be detrimental to the swingarm?

Regardless, I've seen several F4i's with rivnuts or nutserts drilled into the swingarm, and haven't heard of any problems. That doesn't mean there aren't any problems, just relating what I've heard. :)

KooLaid
Sun Jan 25th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I guess the frames on the F4i is more of an weird alloy composition too. I tried to have the rear peg mount back on (snapped off at the welds) and the metal wouldn't accept the mig aluminum wire, so I had to get it to a shop and they Tig wielded it to make it stick. But I don't think a good wielder could hurt the swingarm since all the other bikes had to have that portion of the swingarm wielded for the spools. So if the other bikes are ok having that part wielded once, than so would our F4i since it's never been wielded before.

irdave
Sun Jan 25th, 2004, 11:44 PM
I would be worried about if the swingarm has been heat treated to make it stronger... I don't know much about welding, but it would be a question I would ask.

As far as the nutserts/rivnuts/threadserts spinning... You've just got to put them in tight. Local fastner place sells the fancy tool for 40 or 50 bucks. Looks like a hand rivet tool, but has a threaded tip, and it's big.

Mine went in fine on the F2 swing arm. I drilled the swing arm a couple of inches from the back, in the middle (least stress). I just screwed in the old spools from the aprilia (it now has sliders)... It all worked great.

And apparently we're going to be doing Alex's bike soon (now that the swingarm is finally back on!) Too bad neither one of us likes taking pictures...

yakuza
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Oh yeah, play time! Check out what I just got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455617866

KooLaid, if you're still wanting a replacement rear shock, lemme know. :)

Also, I found a guy selling a really nice looking swingarm with spools already welded on. He sent me some pics and it looks really good, he told me $100 plus shipping.

http://pub105.ezboard.com/fhondacbr600f4frm13.showMessage?topicID=3303.topic

Anonymous
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, play time! Check out what I just got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455617866
Nice! 8)

KooLaid
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Yes I need it! This time I WILL get it since it's scary riding my bike as it is.

mikesf4i
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Ok gang, I talked to our machine shop supervisor and asked him what he thinks. He told me that he mounted a kickstand on his KTM 520 with rivnuts and they eventually loosened up and spun , then broke off. Now he is stuck with two 1/2inch holes in his swingarm. He recommended either having a good welder TIG weld on a threaded section then re-heat treat the arm. Or use one of the stands that doesnt use spools and clamp or bond on a piece of carbon fiber or delrin for crash protection.

KooLaid
Wed Jan 28th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Hey Alex, if you can hold on to that shock for me, you can have my spare left intuitive black frame slider and bolts free if u want it. I went to Vortex sliders. Same price for this shock as the last one right?

yakuza
Wed Jan 28th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Sure, sounds fine to me, and I could use a replacement left slider as mine is kinda ground down. :up: I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy about shipping, he's pretty slow to communicate. But I'll definitely hold the shock for ya. :)

KooLaid
Wed Jan 28th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Righty O' Alex, the slider is yours as well.