PDA

View Full Version : Building up a superbike tail section?

irdave
Sat Jan 17th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Hey.
I'm putting together the new track whore ('94 F2) and it came with a superbike tail... Which is great; except that the seat is SO LOW compared to the bars that it feels ridiculous.

So I was thinking of getting some super dense foam and making a "seat" to raise my hinie a couple of inches...

Has anyone else done this? Or have any ideas about the best way to do this?

Thanks much.

mra828
Sun Jan 18th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Dave,

Do you have adequate support brackets under the seat? I had to fabricate some additional hardware under the tail in order to make it fit right.

geoff

yakuza
Sun Jan 18th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Nope, he doesn't, he made a seatpan by taping cardboard together. :slap:

irdave
Sun Jan 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Punk.

Geoff. There was already a bracket fabricated to hold the tail... It utilizes bolts thru the seat back. Alex was talking about the section where you actually sit. You could push on it and it would flex almost a cm. So I built that up with cardboard. :roll: But it was cheap and available.

I took a look at the Honda vs the Aprilia- the Honda's clip ons (even thought they are already relocated below the triple clamp) are an inch higher than on the Aprilia, and the seat is about 6 inches lower- makes the bike feel REALLY wierd. I'm thinking that it wasn't supposed to be quite like that- that the supersport or stock tail would have used a seat ON TOP of the tail section, where the superbike tail has none.

Regardless, it's too flippin' low. Ideas?

Anonymous
Sun Jan 18th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Raise the rear ride height - it should help with cornering too.

brian38
Sun Jan 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM
If you want I have a F3/F3 tail that uses the stock seat I will let go for dirt cheap. Just let me know if interested. Brian 720-560-4587

mra828
Mon Jan 19th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Nope, he doesn't, he made a seatpan by taping cardboard together. :slap:

Cardboard, eh? Nice touch... I was gonna ask you about fork internals, but now I suspect you'd show up to install the coat hanger and bubble gum with a butter knife...
:D :lol:

Anyway - not much else for ideas other than go out and ride it... it's not a Mille, but you'll get used to it.

And like Brian said - you could go to a SS seat... and those are DIRT cheap. Heck, I basically gave away my 2 spares...

geoff

irdave
Mon Jan 19th, 2004, 08:58 AM
It's coat hanger and DUCT TAPE not bubble gum, silly.

I was going to give Brian a call on Tuesday (figuring) that's the work number about their SS tail.

The fork internals... Well Traxxion, of course. Put the Fox TC on the other day. Although I was talking to Marcus the other day- apparently I could drill the valves and add some shims. Supposed to feel pretty good-

Now I just have to dig up some aftermarket rearsets and some not too used gearing, and maybe some not too used skinny tires...

Let me know if you have any other ideas...

Thanks.

brian38
Mon Jan 19th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Actually my cell and you can call anytime we are open Monday's

Brian

haywood jablome
Mon Jan 19th, 2004, 09:49 AM
I know Jmetz took padding out of his seat because he is sooo fuggin short. He might have some advice on seat mods.