PDA

View Full Version : Back in the day…

Snowman
Thu Jun 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Ok so this thread has to be started here. Let’s see the list of things you did or didn’t have to deal with today, that the generation today takes for granted.

Back in my day we didn’t have full face helmets. The best we could find was those bubble snap ons in those cool yellow or blue tints.

Scruff Dog
Wed Jul 5th, 2006, 07:31 AM
How far back do you want to go. The electric starter has got to be the biggest convience in motorcycle history.

Lee
Wed Jul 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I don't remember any suspension adjustments on my 1973 Honda CB750.

Lee

FZRguy
Thu Jul 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM
We wore actual "leathers" for MX in the seventies, and my YZ125 had about 15HP. My current YZ125 has 40+…oh yeah, it has suspension too.

Butterfly
Thu Jul 6th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Back in the day... er... :think:

I can't even think of anything much different from what I have now. I guess I'm in the wrong part of the forum :lol:

Sully
Fri Jul 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Well... this isn't really motorcycle related... but since you asked...

1. Computers and homework on-line
2. Cell phones
3. Microwaves
4. Cable and satellite TV
5. Digital cameras

oh gawd.. I could just go on and on and on...

I went to a concert the other night.. and instead of lighters being held up (ok there were a few), they were holding up their cell phones... WTF ? :mrt:

3/4gixxer
Fri Jul 7th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Monoshock suspensions, multi compound tires

Ghost Rider
Fri Jul 7th, 2006, 10:15 AM
High mounted pipes meant OFF ROAD capable.
The first bike i owned was a 1968 Yamaha DT-1 250 with a GYT kit.was loud,but with the "ringa Ding ding" sound.

Nat

Mac020
Fri Jul 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Kick in trail gear.
Four speed trans.
Shocks that traveled about 4 inches.
Helmet law.
Headlight law.
Vehical inspection sticker.
55 MPH on interstates.
Heck 80 MPH was fast back in the day. Then Honda came out with the 750 goldwing. Now that was a bike!

Oh and my Triumph shifted on the right.

Lee
Fri Jul 7th, 2006, 06:53 PM
President Richard Nixon and the nationwide 55 mph speed limit.

We were stuck with that presidential directive (think dictatorship) for almost 30 years; it was never voted on by Congress.

Young people have no idea what a curse that was and still is. It, and Nixon's "Revenue Sharing", taught State governments that:
1) If they sacrificed their autonomy for Federal mandates (think speed laws), there was plenty of Federal money coming their way, especially to buy LEO goodies like radar, high performance cars, etc.
2) Speed enforcement = BIG BUCKS.

Young people don't realize that 40 years ago, none of the above existed. Dick Nixon changed this country and not for the better.

I can remember when breaking the 55 mph speed limit was considered patriotic, a rebellion against oppression. There was a tremendous national sentiment about this.

I'm still caught up in the speeding fervor. :)

Lee

Teflon
Sat Jul 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I remember seeing drawings and posters on all of the walls at school to Impeach Nixon, pictures of peaches, it was hilarious, now if you did that today?!! impeach bush??!!! sheeattt yeah right,..... you would have an instant file created on you, all your financial transactions monitored, have your house bugged or searched with no court order and without your knowledge, since they can do that now,

now wait, what happened to those documents.... bill of rights.. and what was that other rag? oh yeah, the Constitution....

back in the day, we had civil rights, and a right to privacy,

remember that? remember when....if someone got arrested, they had to have a reason, a cause, or evidence? disclaimer: does not apply to me, but now they dont have to have a reason, or fact, just suspicion and the loss of right to due process, ie extraordinary rendition, where us citizens are kidnapped and sent to a former communist block country and tortured and interrogated.....and its not a bush slam, it started in the clinton/janet reno years...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jul 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Hmmmm, back in the day. Remember DT Yamaha's? Remember the H3 triples and other 2-stroke streetbikes? Remember the Suzuki Water-buffalo? Remember Hardley schniveling about the tariffs that congress was stoopid enough to impose on any foreign bike over 700cc capacity.....and the Japanese responded with a big Fuck you by building 700's? Remember Bell and Simpson street helmets? Remember Vetter windjammer fairings on Gold Wings? Remember when we used to be able to remember things......:cry:

motorep
Mon Jul 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Getting busted for SnuffRNot's. My buddy not able to comprehend why my RD350 just wailed on his Triumph 650. My 59 Ducati still holds the record for stranding me, more than all the vehicles I've owned since. Trail riding on trails no one knew about..

Bat
Mon Jul 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Not MC related but hell almost no one in my neighborhood rode...except for the guy across the street who would come home to visit his family on some crusty old Harley - was half in love with the guy...never even spoke to him, lol.

Mmmmmm, muscle cars...huge, gas-guzzling, downright sexy beasts of machines. :yumyum: No air bags or crush zones, hoping ya didn't hit one of those little "foreign" cars and carve it right in half. ;)

Waiting in line for gas. Learning to drive my mom's Monte Carlo - racing my girlfriend's Mom's T-Bird and trying to get behind the wheel of her brother's 442 by promising to "take it for a wash". :lol:

Blasting the 8-track tapes on some really weirdly rigged, home-made box, speaker systems, lol. Packing insane amounts of friends into the cars and going to midnight movie marathons at the drive-in.

Albums, 45's and $6 concerts. 35 cents for a pack of smokes when I could barely see over the counter (yeah, I've ALWAYS been short, lol).

No VCRs, no cable - going to the beautiful old theaters downtown (KC) with the velvet curtains that closed over the screen and the balconies to watch a movie and cool off in the dog days of summer. Hanging at the skating rink or the bowling alley - just to be in air conditioning.

Getting banged to hell on Slip 'N Slides (no one had pools or AC at home - that was for "rich" folks) and having water fights with the hoses.

And, hell no, I'm not old, babies - I am in my PRIME! :boobies:

lol

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jul 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Getting banged to hell on Slip 'N Slides

Wow! Is it just me, or does that sound like big fun! :) J/K!

Bat
Mon Jul 10th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Bwahahaha!!! Damn those Freudian slips...

:lol:

Ghost Rider
Mon Jul 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Yep:imwithstupid:

Lee
Mon Jul 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Not MC related but hell almost no one in my neighborhood rode...except for the guy across the street who would come home to visit his family on some crusty old Harley - was half in love with the guy...never even spoke to him, lol.

Mmmmmm, muscle cars...huge, gas-guzzling, downright sexy beasts of machines. No air bags or crush zones, hoping ya didn't hit one of those little "foreign" cars and carve it right in half. ;)

Waiting in line for gas. Learning to drive my mom's Monte Carlo - racing my girlfriend's Mom's T-Bird and trying to get behind the wheel of her brother's 442 by promising to "take it for a wash". :lol:

Blasting the 8-track tapes on some really weirdly rigged, home-made box, speaker systems, lol. Packing insane amounts of friends into the cars and going to midnight movie marathons at the drive-in.

Albums, 45's and $6 concerts. 35 cents for a pack of smokes when I could barely see over the counter (yeah, I've ALWAYS been short, lol).

No VCRs, no cable - going to the beautiful old theaters downtown (KC) with the velvet curtains that closed over the screen and the balconies to watch a movie and cool off in the dog days of summer. Hanging at the skating rink or the bowling alley - just to be in air conditioning.

Getting banged to hell on Slip 'N Slides (no one had pools or AC at home - that was for "rich" folks) and having water fights with the hoses.

And, hell no, I'm not old, babies - I am in my PRIME! :boobies:

lol

You sort of made me wish I'd had your adolescence instead of mine. :)

All of that sounds fun.

Lee

Sully
Tue Jul 11th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Slip-n-Slides still ROCK ! :headbang:

R1chie
Tue Jul 11th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I remember seeing drawings and posters on all of the walls at school to Impeach Nixon, pictures of peaches, it was hilarious, now if you did that today?!! impeach bush??!!! sheeattt yeah right,..... you would have an instant file created on you, all your financial transactions monitored, have your house bugged or searched with no court order and without your knowledge, since they can do that now,

now wait, what happened to those documents.... bill of rights.. and what was that other rag? oh yeah, the Constitution....

back in the day, we had civil rights, and a right to privacy,

remember that? remember when....if someone got arrested, they had to have a reason, a cause, or evidence? disclaimer: does not apply to me, but now they dont have to have a reason, or fact, just suspicion and the loss of right to due process, ie extraordinary rendition, where us citizens are kidnapped and sent to a former communist block country and tortured and interrogated.....and its not a bush slam, it started in the clinton/janet reno years...

We never had right to privacy. Unreasonable Searches And Seizures is 4th amendment.

Right to privacy as we know it today is not a right, it is our run amok Supreme Court trying to legislate law from the bench through RoeVsWade. Safety of our nation from threats foreign and domestic are protected and tactics used by Clinton and Bush are legal (Or Clinton would have been impeached twice and Bush once)

R1chie
Tue Jul 11th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Getting busted for SnuffRNot's. My buddy not able to comprehend why my RD350 just wailed on his Triumph 650. My 59 Ducati still holds the record for stranding me, more than all the vehicles I've owned since. Trail riding on trails no one knew about..

I use to ride my dads RD400 on the dirt and the street even though I was not legal. That was a fun bike. Does anyone remember the big wheel and the sit and spin? How about Whacky packages trading cards with bubble gum. LOL

How about TV, childrens TV, Sid and Marty Croft? They let 70's druggies write childrens trip TV. HR Puffin Stuff, LidsVille, Sigmund and the Sea munster. Wow, those were the days :)

BigE
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM
OK, gotta set a couple of fuzzy memories straight...Goldwings were never 750's (that'd be the CB750), they came out as 1000 and have just gotten bigger and Kawi triples were the H1 (500) and H2 (750, my first street bike btw), they also had some in the 250-400 range that were S1 & S2's.

Now how about:
dual range trannys on dirt bikes, my TS90 had 4-lo and 4-hi (it also broke down on each of the three rides I took it on before, on the third, it shattered the piston).
Drum brakes
Kick starters on street bikes (won't be long before "remember when we had to kickstart dirt bikes").
centerstands actually were standard equipment.

on the toy side:
skateboards with clay wheels (actually thats before my time)
skateboards made from plywood and metal rollerskate wheels (yep, had one of these)
bmx bikes that broke something every time you jumped it.
10speeds
the "swing" bike
lawn darts
and my favorite toy that can't remember what it was called... a wheel with a zip cord that would launch it, think it was something from Hot Wheels. They have them now that are similar but not as cool as the old ones. (it's bad, my kiddo has a couple and I can't remember what they are either (my excuse is I've been up all night at work and am getting ready to crash out :lol: )

SXSMITH
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Today's bike payment was yesterdays house payment.

R1chie
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
on the toy side:
and my favorite toy that can't remember what it was called... a wheel with a zip cord that would launch it, think it was something from Hot Wheels.

There were the SSTs. I owned a detonator and smash up derby set. There was the screamin deamon motorcyles that used the same zip cord system, I owned one of those as well.

Relive your childhood and watch these SST ads.
http://www.devilducky.com/media/47689/

I also had a bing bang bong, I think it was one of my favorites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z00WrgIdcio

Toys rocked back then. While kids now day spend hours on the game cube or PSP toys back then made you think and do something. Those were the days. (I cannot believe I am that old saying the same thing my father said)

My brother had a Dt175 and my first dirt bike was an IT250. My brother would not ride with me because he said I hurt him. I did not understand the concept of roosting another rider with wheel spin.. I didn't even know I was spinning the wheel.:)

dm_gsxr
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Yea, kick starts, petcocks and running out of gas in an intersection, 3/4 helmets, combat boots, solidarity instead of waves, fixing a bike on the side of the road with bailing wire and twine, rejetting, flooded carbs, drum brakes, vetters with car radios and garbage bag plastic over the speakers so they didn't get wet, field jackets, laundry bag/duffle bag instead of hard lockable luggage, rope to tie things to the bike...

Carl

Snowman
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
How about TV, childrens TV, Sid and Marty Croft? They let 70's druggies write childrens trip TV. HR Puffin Stuff, LidsVille, Sigmund and the Sea munster. Wow, those were the days :)

How about that chic Joy on the Bugaloos... Now she was hot... :eyebrows:

R1chie
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
How about that chic Joy on the Bugaloos... Now she was hot... :eyebrows:

I though so too when I was a kid, funny how time clouds the memory. Now she looks like a child http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZcDXxytYNY

After watching some of the other TV themes I use to watch, I now realize that time not only heals us from hurtful memories, it also heals us from awful tv we watched as children.:shocked:

Mel
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Does anyone remember the big wheel and the sit and spin?

LOL, they even used to have "organized" big wheel races (my dad always entered me in them).

Did ya know, they STILL make the sit-n-spin? They are about 1/3 the weight of the ones I remember, and they now light up and play music (I bought one for my daughter).

R1chie
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 09:51 PM
LOL, they even used to have "organized" big wheel races (my dad always entered me in them).

Did ya know, they STILL make the sit-n-spin? They are about 1/3 the weight of the ones I remember, and they now light up and play music (I bought one for my daughter).

I remember the races we would have to the bottom of the street, we had a steep street, so much so everyone would come to ride toys or snow sled down it in the winterThis was even more fun. KrazyKar, I liked this even more than the Big Wheel. Looking back I was quite spoiled. http://www.motox.org/pics/krazykar.jpg

BigE
Thu Jul 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM
There were the SSTs. I owned a detonator and smash up derby set. There was the screamin deamon motorcyles that used the same zip cord system, I owned one of those as well.

Relive your childhood and watch these SST ads.
http://www.devilducky.com/media/47689/

I also had a bing bang bong, I think it was one of my favorites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z00WrgIdcio

Toys rocked back then. While kids now day spend hours on the game cube or PSP toys back then made you think and do something. Those were the days. (I cannot believe I am that old saying the same thing my father said)

My brother had a Dt175 and my first dirt bike was an IT250. My brother would not ride with me because he said I hurt him. I did not understand the concept of roosting another rider with wheel spin.. I didn't even know I was spinning the wheel.:)

That's not it Rich. The thing I had was just a wheel with a rubber tire about 6" diameter, can't quite remember exactly how it launched aside from the zip cord. I do remember it would fly clear across our cul-de-sac and ricochet off whatever was in the way (like neighbor's cars).
The new version are called "Fly Wheels" see:http://www.jakkspacific.com/construct.php?section=toys&subsection=action&page=flywheels

Lomax
Wed Nov 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Getting my motorcycle license at age 14.

Motocross bikes with dual rear shocks and 3" of suspension.

Amal Carburetors and ticklers.

Cushman Scooters at age 5.

PreMix on 2 stroke street bikes.

The smell of burning Castrol. (caster oil)

Coal Creek Raceways.

The old VW micro bus as a bike hauler. (re: the magic bus or "Z" bus)

Bell open face helmets and hiking boots for MX.

And on, and on.

Marc

Mental
Wed Nov 15th, 2006, 11:35 AM
My entire line of Evil Knevil toys. I had a bike (with training wheels) and the launching ramp with the wheel you turned on the side to get it spinning and luanched it, ot you could use the T- Handle and pull it
http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/toys/040601_cbrown_mp_his_toy_knievel2.jpg