PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

KooLaid
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 12:44 AM
Question for the track day/expert level riders. I was wondering, what gloves do you guys generally use during the season for riding? I mean as in track day, canyon carving, etc. I'm having a hard time deciding between ventilated and non vented. Alot of the "tougher" sub $100 gloves are non vented. Which is my price range. I used to use Joe Rocket, but their products aren't that great for hard riding and/or hard mileage useage. Their stuff didn't survive a year with me. I want a glove that is tough and can handle a crash on track days. I'm most likely gonna get a second pair that is highly vented like the neoprene "First Gear Burnout" for the hot summer days/nights and runs in California, but I need help deciding on my main pair. Are your track day gloves vented? If not, does it bother you on long hard rides and track days?

KooLaid
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 12:45 AM
Oh yeah, what do you guys think of the AGV gloves? Matt mladdin I guess uses em............ They're VERY affordable, and their sub $100 gloves look GREAT compared to competitors, they look like they should cost double what they do.

Dysco
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 07:34 AM
I've never had a vented glove and my hands have never gotten too hot (I do ride when it's hot out- honest) Some gloves will fall apart in a bad wreck and I've seen improperly fastened gloves ripped off so don't skimp where your hands are concerned. There's a thread in this forum somewhere about gloves- that's the best place to look.

mra828
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 08:33 AM
I've been using Technic gloves lately - and for the price they have held up real well (Violators). They are >$100- gloves, but I always buy them on sale for well below $100

I would avoid Alpinestar gloves, personally. I've read/heard too many reports of their top of the line gloves disintegrating in relatively minor crashes (RRW did an article... so did Sport Rider I think, some years back... heard stories in the pits). Technics seemed to hold up well in those write ups - and my experience mirrors that. Of course YMMV...

I don't have any experience with vented gloves.

As for Mladin... I'm betting he's not wearing AGV gloves anymore (he just signed with Joe Rocket). Regardless - remember that the stuff he wears has little in common with the stuff on the rack - other than the logo - and he's paid to wear it, he doesn't exactly go shopping for the best value.

If I recall - there was a thread on here a while back with a link to a place that had a bunch of gloves on sale... Accessory Warehouse maybe?

geoff

Ripper
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 09:40 AM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2440&highlight=gloves

NineTwoFour
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 09:45 AM
If you think JR stuff in low quality... you will REALLY hate AGV. They are more of a low price point brand, and I imagine their products would be very similar in quality to JR's low end stuff.

I also wear the Teknic Violator gloves... and they held together just fine when I went down. They stayed put on my hands, and the leather scuffed and didn't tear and the seams held. Exactly what I would expect from a glove.

Ripper
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM
If you think JR stuff in low quality... you will REALLY hate AGV. They are more of a low price point brand, and I imagine their products would be very similar in quality to JR's low end stuff.

I also wear the Teknic Violator gloves... and they held together just fine when I went down. They stayed put on my hands, and the leather scuffed and didn't tear and the seams held. Exactly what I would expect from a glove.

Damn, son! When did this happen :?

NineTwoFour
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 10:46 AM
Couple Saturdays ago... a Porshe on the track in front of me blew it's oil all over the track... I didn't spot it and down I went.

The R6 was toast. I didn't even get a bruise on me.

Still haven't figured out whether I will be able to rebuild it or not.

BlueDevil
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 10:58 AM
That thread turned out to be good info. Id suggest not skimping either. Hands are usually the first instinct to put out and the first to get rashed up.

JR = junk IMO. 25 mph lowside they tore.......

Personally I decided A Star. Not bad price and above average strength. believe me there are better but I didnt have 200+. Good luck on your search.

Ripper
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM
Couple Saturdays ago... a Porshe on the track in front of me blew it's oil all over the track... I didn't spot it and down I went.

The R6 was toast. I didn't even get a bruise on me.

Still haven't figured out whether I will be able to rebuild it or not.

Damn that sucks, glad you came out unscathed 8) what all did you destroy on it? Do you know how much the buy back is?

NineTwoFour
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 11:09 AM
Not covered by insurance...

The subframe snapped, the headers tore out of the block, the tank got smashed, and all the fairings got destroyed. Left side clipon snapped, and the rearset bent.

Sean at Metro is checking to see if the engine was damaged. Then it will be off to the frame shop to see if the frame is ok.

If the engine and frame are ok, it will sit in my garage for a year or so until I have the money to fix it up. If not, it will probably go in the dumpster at my dad's house.

Ripper
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 11:18 AM
Judging by the sound of things I'm assuming the wheels are shot, as well as the headlights.

NineTwoFour
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 11:45 AM
The headlights didn't even get a scratch on them... LoL

The wheels seem fine, the rear just got a 3 in scratch along the edge.

The bike left the pavement, flipped... and landed straight upside down, wheels in the air.

Ripper
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 11:48 AM
Well if you can't rebuild, which I do hope is NOT the case...I would love to buy at least those parts from you

hcr25
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 11:54 AM
First off the stuff that the AMA guys use is not stuff you can buy! Matt M. will be in joe rocket this year not nicky hayden anymore.My point is just because the pro's use it does not make the stuff we buy at our local shop good.I have been cut out of & crashed more sets of rave leathers then most guys.Dont buy something because its cheap and dont assume that it is a well known brand name that costs alot it is good.
Mike

Anonymous
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 12:58 PM
I got Teknic Violator Pro's (non-vented) for $75 on sale at www.newenough.com, but last I checked, they don't have anymore (I'd love to get another pair). I bought a pair of used Joe Rocket GPX (also non vented) as backups.
http://www.accwhse.com/photos/teknic_violator_pro_glvs_bkrdwht.gif http://www.accwhse.com/photos/jrocket_gpx_glvs_rd_01.gif
For just riding around town, errands & commuting, I have Joe Rocket Lightspeed gloves for when it's hot - the wind goes right through them, and they have a bit of protection on the knuckles. When it's colder, I have Teknic Chicane gloves (non-vented). I bought some glove liners from REI for when it's really cold that I can wear inside them, or I also have a pair of Teknic Defender gloves (waterproof & insulated).

http://www.accwhse.com/photos/jrocket_lghtspd_glv_bkrd_01.gif http://www.accwhse.com/photos/teknic_chicane_glvs_bkrdwht_02.gif
http://www.motorcycleville.com/img/stgloves/teknic01/defenderspring_g.jpg

Anonymous
Wed Jan 21st, 2004, 01:04 PM
I just checked www.newenough.com - they have the Teknic Violator for $40 (down from $99) and the Joe Rocket Phoenix (vented) for $35 down from $50 (limited sizes/colors).

So for $75, you can get 2 pairs of gloves which will cover really hot & not so hot. The above gloves are in their closeout section (http://www.newenough.com/product_group_closeout_gloves.htm).

They also have some other vented Joe Rocket stuff for under $50: http://www.newenough.com/product_group_gloves_joerocket.htm

Hope this helps.

KooLaid
Thu Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:52 AM
Thanks! I think I'll go way of the Teknic then. Sounds like everyone puts HIGH points on those overall. And luckily, it's a brand I can get at cost. Thanks a bunch!