PDA

View Full Version : Kawi positive neutral finder... (or whatever)

Quick636
Sun Jan 25th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Now supposably I am not suppose to be able to hit nuetral with the bike rolling forward... but a few times at the track last week I was going from 1st to 2nd and found myself in neutral.

I guess my question is, is this normal? The bike shifts fine otherwise, just every so often I end up in neutral while shifting.

Bryce
Sun Jan 25th, 2004, 07:11 PM
jab the shifter harder or gear it so you don't use 1st at the track

irdave
Sun Jan 25th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Yep, more positive shift motion. I had that problem- most of it went away when I switched the shifting upside down. The pushing down is more positive than pulling up. And sometimes I'll hold it down to make sure it stays...

Anonymous
Mon Jan 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Change to GP shift, your problem will go away. And like Bryce said, gear it so you're not using 2nd. According to Mark Schellinger in the new racer class, you should gear it so that your slowest corner (the rats nest @ SCR) had 2nd gear right where it should be.

Quick636
Mon Jan 26th, 2004, 01:26 PM
I don't want to spend the money for new rearsets. I'm not cutting the sprocket cover to change mine either...

If I was more serious about racing then I might change gearing and all that, but for now I am leaving it alone. Sounds like I am not alone in this problem, so I guess my question is answered :)

KCL
Mon Jan 26th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Hey Jason,
Same thing on mine, not supposed to happen but does every once in a while.

How was the track day?

Quick636
Mon Jan 26th, 2004, 05:48 PM
The track was awesome, I learned quite a bit about the bike. I'll definetely have to do it again.

Anonymous
Mon Jan 26th, 2004, 06:45 PM
You can't just flip over the little arm that connects the shift linkage to the shaft coming out of the gearbox? :? Unsure how the Kawi is, but if there's room to flip that over, that is all you need to do to change to GP.

Quick636
Mon Jan 26th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Nope, the arm hits the sprocket cover. I've seen some people cut a notch out of it, but I would assume there is a cover over that sprocket for a reason.

Only way to do it that I know of is to go aftermarket. Big $$$

Anonymous
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 01:23 AM
I was going to have Dean make me a custom piece for my Superhawk as I have the same problem. Way I see it, if that little arm just came out a little bit it'd work fine for GP. I wonder if he could make you one at the same time... ;)

Quick636
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 07:26 AM
That would be cool... if you would let me know when that is going to happen or what he needs from me to do it. I might just look at it myself and see what I could do. Hell, my g/f works at the engineering center at CU, surely I have access to the tools to make something...