PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Cup/Trophy for Gene

Lurch
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM
As many of you know Gene's number has been retired by the MRA. Gene had
two groups of friends in the motorcycle community the CSC and the MRA.
Though these two groups sometimes interact, but they are two seperate groups
that Gene loved.

So with that I would like to start to collect donations from both
groups for the Gene Bazyl Memorial Cup. This trophy will been given to
a MRA racer in some sort or fashion. I'm leaving that up the MRA Board
but I'm sure your input will be taken into account.

I will post details here when I have a donation site figured out but I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Lurch

AshliRider44
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 08:31 AM
That is the best idea I've heard yet Lurch. Maybe like the type of racer that is always there to help anyone out? Just throwing out an idea here :lol:

~Barn~
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 09:35 AM
That's a very cool idea... I'm certain I'd have a few bucks to put on that cause. :up:

R1Blue01
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I am more than willing to help out anyway I can. Thanks Lurch.

Shane

rybo
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Lurch,

Ashli and I are thinking along the same lines. My experience with Gene was both that he was extremely capable and willing to share his knowledge. I would love to see this award go to a "rising star" in the MRA, the kind of person who is both a great rider and a great person. Since Gene's carrer was still really in it's infancy maybe the MRA could select an outstanding new rider to give the award to? Just a thought.

I'll be contributing as soon as I know where to contribute to.

Scott

mclarke
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I had also heard word of a possible leather patch or something with gene's number. I would gladly attach anything I can to remember such a great human being, and an even better friend to a lot of people.

Spiderman
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I would love to see this award go to a "rising star" in the MRA, the kind of person who is both a great rider and a great person. Since Gene's carrer was still really in it's infancy maybe the MRA could select an outstanding new rider to give the award to? Just a thought.
This sounds a lot like the Rookie of the Year award. :|

The MRA has the following awards for riders:
- Don Bruner Memorial Award - awarded to th Heavyweight Supersport class champion
- Sportsman of the year
- Rookie of the year

I'm not sure exactly what class was Gene's most important (I know RoR GTU was very important to him), but he was, and still is, in fact, the points leader for Middleweight Endurance. I was thinking it could be associated to one of his classes. :dunno:

rforsythe
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Could this be tied into the long endurance somehow, since that's being named after him anyway? It may be more difficult (and how do you do that with 4 diff't classes, etc) but seems fitting to me. Sportsman pretty much covers the "most helpful person" category, so this should award something unique IMO.

Lurch
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I think the easy would be to just send donations via paypal. My account is zammer217@hotmail.com. All money collected will go towards the trophy. Not sure as of yet how or who the trophy will be given to but I'm sure we can figure it out.

Lurch

Spiderman
Mon Jul 24th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Donation sent. Thanks again for putting this together! 8) :up:

AshliRider44
Mon Jul 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Lurch,

Ashli and I are thinking along the same lines. My experience with Gene was both that he was extremely capable and willing to share his knowledge. I would love to see this award go to a "rising star" in the MRA, the kind of person who is both a great rider and a great person. Since Gene's carrer was still really in it's infancy maybe the MRA could select an outstanding new rider to give the award to? Just a thought.

I'll be contributing as soon as I know where to contribute to.

Scott

Great idea Scott :up:
I see exactly what you mean.

As for the patches that are being made up, its to my understanding that they are making them for the "four horsemen" team's leathers... right? I believe it was just a friend of Gene/the teams that was making them up for them.

Mel
Mon Jul 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM
As far as I know, the girl who is doing the patches was doing a special one for the "4 horsemen crew" but when I last spoke to her, she also mentioned getting quite a few questions and I *think* is looking at doing something seperately for other people who may wish to have her create and sew on a patch in Gene's rememberance.
If anyone wants the info, I am sure 4 horsemen can give you her info, as can I....she does leather repairs for some people in the racing community, and repaired Genes leathers many times.