PDA

View Full Version : Oil?

BlueDevil
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 01:44 PM
I know some of the brands that have been mentioned in past discussions. I am looking to get something that isnt a fortune. What types of Syn oil can I get from most dealers that will be good to use........ ?

Im hearing Mobil 1 is pretty good and avail most anywhere.... Thoughts? Dont wan tto travel the world or pay 10.00 a Qt. Thanks all.

Royal Purple?

Player 2
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I know some of the brands that have been mentioned in past discussions. I am looking to get something that isnt a fortune. What types of Syn oil can I get from most dealers that will be good to use........ ?

Im hearing Mobil 1 is pretty good and avail most anywhere.... Thoughts? Dont wan tto travel the world or pay 10.00 a Qt. Thanks all.

Royal Purple?
Ralph is going to become a rep for AMSOil and sell to us at a discount. If they sell the Syn you're looking for....

BlueDevil
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Ill keep that in mind in the future. Any ideas on what I can get today ? Was gonna go Yamalube but they anted to lube me up before sticking it to me. Eeeeek! :lol:

Anonymous
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Silkolene or Motul are the two best ones out there you can buy off the shelf right now.

Rumor has it that Mobil 1 has really gone down in quality; I don't have facts to substantiate this, it's just what I've been hearing 'round the campfire. Something to the effect that the QC on their Mobil-1 brand (not the same as basic Mobil Oil) synthetic has gone out the window.

In a report I saw (can't find it now, I think I bookmarked it at home) that compared wear scars, AMSOIL high performance bike synthetic actually performed the best with Motul coming in just slightly behind it (and Motul is some good stuff). Silkolene was not tested in that report but I suspect it would be right up there. This was a test of high end oil, and I *think* M-1 came in last. I'll find it later and post it up here...

FYI I will also be able to sell things like oil analysis, if you really want to know what your engine is up to. :up:

KooLaid
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Silkolene is highly prasied by the italian shops/riders out where I'm from. As for the Amsoil, how much of a diff in price? I'm running Castrol Act<Evo for $4 a quart, regular dinosaur stuff with a synthetic something in it. Just wondering if it's worth it to actually go full synthetic. There's alot of synthetic blend stuff out too that people mistaken for full synthetic. What about the Amsoil?

Ripper
Tue Jan 27th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Royal Purple?

Yea what about Royal Purple, anyone know where to get it around here???
http://www.royalpurple.com/indexi/home01.gif (http://www.royalpurple.com/)

BlueDevil
Wed Jan 28th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the thoughts so far. Where can I get some Motul or Ams Oil? Anything up North? Thornton area?

wraithR1
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
You can check out Amsoil at www.amsoil.com They have an online store that's offers just about anything filter or oil related.

I personally prefer Amsoil and used to be a dealer for the nice discounts. I use the stuff in my truck to good effect and find that when I change it that the oil is super clean. Their filters are built like tanks, not like that Fram crap.

Hope this helps!

RSVR4aCowboy
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
Noticed the other day that GrandPrix sells Amsoil. Believe it was around $5 - $6 a qt. Performance sells Motul. I've been using the 300V which is great oil but it is $13.00 a qt. :(

wraithR1
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:34 AM
"I've been using the 300V which is great oil but it is $13.00 a qt. "

OUCH! What is the benefit of this oil over the others? Where do you pick this stuff up at?

Later,
JOE

RSVR4aCowboy
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:20 PM
300V is a Motul product, full synthetic. Performance sells it. It was highly placed in some oil analysis tests. I think the link to the test were posted here at one time so should be in the archives if you do a search. ;) i believe it was Sport Rider magazine that did the article.

Bryce
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:24 PM
Noticed the other day that GrandPrix sells Amsoil. Believe it was around $5 - $6 a qt. Performance sells Motul. I've been using the 300V which is great oil but it is $13.00 a qt. :(

yikes makes me glad I got a pretty decent offer from maxima for this year we'll see if motul comes up with a like offer to if so i'll probably run motul but otherwise I'll go with maxima

BlueDevil
Wed Feb 4th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Eiey For as often as racers change oil......

I decided to try Mobil 1 MX4 Full Syn. Mostly cause I have heard good things about it......It doesnt cost a fortune........and the dealer a block away stocks it. :idea:

Since I am at PErformance often I may pick up some Motul to try after this. (Not a big fan of them lately) but a big sell point for me is that when I need it, I wont have to wait or drive all over the city looking for it...

Thanks all...

KooLaid
Wed Feb 4th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Whatcha think about that Shell stuff that the ducati's want???

Anonymous
Wed Feb 4th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Just a reminder about Performance - if you by a case (usually 4 gallons), you get 15% off the price. 8)

lifeon2
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 03:36 PM
use the automotive version of the oil your looking for its way cheaper and the only difference between car oil and motorcycle oil is the price

Bryce
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 04:56 PM
use the automotive version of the oil your looking for its way cheaper and the only difference between car oil and motorcycle oil is the price

actually the zinc content is much lower in car oils which can be detremental to tranny parts in bikes

BenDover
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 05:12 PM

actually the zinc content is much lower in car oils which can be detremental to tranny parts in bikes

:roll:

There have been studies upon studies that have shown nearly zero failures directly due to using car oil vs. bike oil.

KooLaid
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I'll stick with car oil for the car and bike oil for the bike. The price of bike oil for me is about double of the car price. But My bike's manual says change it every 8,000 miles, and the car is done at around 4,000 miles. So oil changes are about the same price in the end. No big deal. You'll only change the bike's oil a few times in it's lifetime anyways, unless you keep it for a long time. I mean, how many times will you own a bike that will have 50,000 miles?????? Now look at the miles you had on your car before. See what I mean?

BlueDevil
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 06:02 AM
I see what you are saying Koolaid. But in the case of race bikes, many folks including myself change the oil quite frequently. Some maybe after every race. At 40+ a pop for oil and a new filter that stuff adds up real fast.

On the flip side, If it takes a year or 2 to get from 1 oil change to another.....it may be a good thing to consider changing the oil more often than every 8K.

KooLaid
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 08:13 AM
You're right blue, very right on the track guys. As for us street guys, it only happens once maybe twice or three times at most for factory scheduled oil changes, so might as well go by the book or spend a bit more for something better.

(( LO LO ))
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Damn Koolaid, you need to take better care of your CBR. Poor bike is probably hurting for fresh oil as we speak. I try to change mine every 3000-4000 miles. I feel better knowing the oil is fresher. I think the bike likes fresh oil better anyways.

Rick T.
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Ahhhh.. the BIG OIL debate, better yet... the whole car vs. motorcycle oil war. :D

Personally, I use Silkolene on all my bikes. I've tried Mobil 1 4T and Castrol Act Evo as well with no issues.

As for car oils, I've tried Castrol Syntec 10W40 and also Mobil 1. I experience clutch slippage on my CBR 900RR with the Mobil 1 but no issues with the Castrol Syntec.

Bottom line: Use the best oil you can afford and change every 3-4K miles. I think Castrol Act Evo is the best bang for the buck...

BlueDevil
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Agreed. Im using Mobil 1 4T in my race bike. So far no troubles. and its about 7-8 bucks a quart. Silkolene was like 12+ so I passed on it. Id like to try Motul but I dont have easy access to it up North and Mobil 1 is right down the street.

BluMille
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 04:57 PM
I haven't done an oil change on this bike yet, but I was using Mobil1 in my last bike. Nice thing is you can find the MX4T at any Autozone. This bike currently has Motul 300V in it, but I haven't decided if I am going to stick with that yet.

I have used Redline in my previous bike, with good results. Anyone else used Redline before? Comments on performance/price? I know it's popular with muscle car and hot-rod enthusiasts.