PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with getting front wheel back on.

Priller_Nate
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I took my front wheel off my 00.5 Aprilia Mille. Everything came off without a prob (took 5 mins). Now I am trying to put the wheel back on a couple days later and I am having one heck of a time trying to get the axle to go in. Yes, I am trying to put it in the proper way and it is all lubed up and everything. One thing I did notice is that the forks seem to fan out when looking directly at the front of the bike. By fan out I mean they appear to be straight but the axle hole area doesn't seem to be straight with each other. I have hammered like hell on the axle for like 30 minutes and the largest part of the axle (the part to hammer on) still even begin to progress into the axle hole on the left fork. Any tips or ideas??? Thanks!!

Bueller
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Bent forks?

Priller_Nate
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Shouldn't the fat end of the axle normally slide fairly easily through the left fork leg when it is lubed without even using a hammer on it? I'm at a loss and the bike is stuck in the garage now on the front and rear stands.

King Nothing
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Are there some rings (bearings :dunno: )on the inside of the hub that might have moved, that's what happend to my Kwak...

Spiderman
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Not sure 'bout the priller, but most bikes have one or more pinch bolts to hold the axle firmly in place. Is it possible these are too tight to allow the axle to pass?

Clarkie
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Hammer and Aprilia.....two words that should never go together :(

Priller_Nate
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Not sure 'bout the priller, but most bikes have one or more pinch bolts to hold the axle firmly in place. Is it possible these are too tight to allow the axle to pass?

The pinch bolts are totally loosened but for some reason it does seem the axle tube in each fork leg is too tight considering that the pinch bolts are loose. any way to spread the hole wider without doing damage?

BHeth
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I'm having a little trouble visualizing this. If I'm picturing it correctly, you may try loosening the upper and lower triples to help line up the holes. Just make sure you mark the forks first in case they slide up or down while the triples are loose.

The GECCO
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Will the axle go in, engage the threads and tighten up without the wheel in place?

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 12:33 PM
is the front stand you are using holding the bike up from the frame under the steering head or by the fork legs?

Spiderman
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 12:44 PM
The pinch bolts are totally loosened but for some reason it does seem the axle tube in each fork leg is too tight considering that the pinch bolts are loose. any way to spread the hole wider without doing damage?If the wheel has been off for a while, I suppose it's possible that the holes have started to close up a bit (depending on how they were designed & manufactured). I would just take a wide, flat screwdriver and pry them apart at the opening (being careful, of course, not to use too much pressure in order to leave the fork legs undamaged).

BHeth
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 01:09 PM
is the front stand you are using holding the bike up from the frame under the steering head or by the fork legs?

Umm, good point. I was picturing a head stand when I mentioned loosening the triple trees! Gotta stop reading threads with morning coffee!

N1KSS1KS1x
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Will the axle go in, engage the threads and tighten up without the wheel in place?
^ +1

Priller_Nate
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM

No it seems the fork legs seem to be offset. I'm not sure if the reason is because of a fork misallignment in their own right or because my garage floor sits at somewhat of a slant from left to right (right side of garage sits a tad lower than left side).

Priller_Nate
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 08:13 PM

The front stand raises the bike up using the bottom of each fork leg via pins on the stand itself. The pins sit several mm below the inside level of each axle hole in the fork legs so they don't seem to be causing the binding. The fork legs do seem to be very tight even with the pinch bolts out. Tried using a flat blade screwdriver but it seems to just gall/burr up the lining of each axle tube hole.

Spoke to Ben Fox (local Ducati/Showa fork guru) and he said he would be willing to stop by in a couple days to help me out. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help thus far! :)

Bueller
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I would say Jim is on to it, sounds like the type of front stand, since the weight of the bike is setting on the suspension.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 09:44 PM
i have the same problem with both my Aprilia and my GSXR if I use my pitbull stand that lifts by the fork legs and I am in my garage. My garage floor is has sunk a little and is not perfectly level. Its probably causing the axel not to line up in each fork leg. Get the weight off the forks by either using a stand that lifts from the frame or strap it with some tie downs to the ceiling in your garage. Don't force it. I learned that hard way not too long ago and had to buy a new axel.

Priller_Nate
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM
i have the same problem with both my Aprilia and my GSXR if I use my pitbull stand that lifts by the fork legs and I am in my garage. My garage floor is has sunk a little and is not perfectly level. Its probably causing the axel not to line up in each fork leg. Get the weight off the forks by either using a stand that lifts from the frame or strap it with some tie downs to the ceiling in your garage. Don't force it. I learned that hard way not too long ago and had to buy a new axel.

Thanks man! Will hopefully be trying a triple tree type stand this weekend.

wulf
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 11:40 AM
You can borrow mine if you wanna drive up and get it. It's got a standard size pin that fits into my SV

Priller_Nate
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! Combining a few of the suggestions I managed to get it on finally. Had to use a combo of support the triple tree from the garage ceiling and jacking up the header pipe (sans belly pan) with my car's floor jack in conjunction with the fork stand for backup. Went in very nicely with only a nudge with the "mean hammer." ;)

MattTLS
Sat Jul 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I know this is a little late, but generally when the bottoms of the fork legs aren't a similar length, you can just turn the triples/clipons/bars slightly until the forks rest evenly on the stand. Hope that makes sense.

Matthew