PDA

View Full Version : Anything like this here in Colorado?

newsportrider
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Saw this online the other day and it looks sick. Not that I could ride it like this guy but it sure looks fun. Just wondering if there was anything like this in the Denver or Springs area. New here to the Springs. Check this out.

http://www.twistingasphalt.com/photos/albums/videos/dealsgapexcerpt.mov

Mel
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 10:00 PM
From the title I presume it is from Deals Gap, which is a nationally known area to hit for bikes (there are several groups from around here who travel out there yearly even). There are many great roads in Colorado,;the mountains are amazing, however, I don't recomend going out and dragging your knee as the cops don't look upon it fondly.

newsportrider
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM
ya, I couldn't get that low anyways. Not that good yet. I'm just looking for good rides from the Springs. I went up 24 the other day (1/2 way anyways) and that was cool, but looking for some other quick rides from here. Ideas???

txrc51fatboy
Tue Jul 25th, 2006, 10:33 PM
quick rides? its not worth getting out of the garge for less than 5 hours. to me thats a quick ride

pilot
Mon Aug 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I recommend "knee dragging" at all times. Or, is that "knuckle dragging"? Either way I am a decendant of ancient man and since the time that the first hunter was sacrificed (accidently or not) for the kill, I think that the first guy to go zinging past the cop should low side and thus sacrifice himself so that the cop is to busy rendering aid and the rest of us can roll on by.. knees and knuckles draggin'.

Ghost Rider
Tue Aug 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
yep1673

Gramps
Tue Aug 8th, 2006, 10:54 AM
funny you should mention it but wahooman did just that

two years ago on the dragon he went around a left hander with his knee on the ground as the local sherriff watched:shocked:

pretty funny:)

Player 2
Tue Aug 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Oh how I love that road

What's the countdown til next year Tom?

Gramps
Wed Aug 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM
don't know what the countdown time is

but i'm with ya, it is a glorious road

a lot i have to figure out between now and then:)

Player 2
Wed Aug 9th, 2006, 11:13 AM
a lot i have to figure out between now and then:)
True dat :up:

Gramps
Wed Aug 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM
oh and to answer yuor question in the first post

NO!

:)

Painzer
Sun Aug 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Actually, there is... Newly paved road in Loveland... leads into Poudre Canyon....

Looks and rides just like Deals.

Gramps
Mon Aug 14th, 2006, 05:12 AM
i look forward to that one sometime

you'll have to give us a little more info:)

Painzer
Mon Aug 14th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I'm thinking of keeping it a secret :)

no, but really, it's called Stove Prarie Road... CR 29 :)

Leads into Poudre canyon...

FZRguy
Mon Aug 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Stove Prairie rocks; I’ll be riding it on Saturday. There are plenty of roads in CO that I bet rival the Dragon (however, I have not ridden the latter). Hwy 92 from Blue Mesa Dam to Crawford is probably the best 40 miles of pavement in the state. Or hit up the Grand Mesa, or Hwy 141, or 149, or McClure, Wolf Creek, or Douglas passes. All these roads absolutely kick ass but are a day’s ride or more away from the metro area, and worth it!

Boy Scout
Mon Aug 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I'll agree that SPR is a sweet road, but having ridden both, I'm not sure I would put it in a class with The Dragon.

Note to Self (and others): Watch those cattle guards in the corners when it's raining. :up:

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
CO 141

Painzer
Mon Aug 14th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Where is highway 141?? I haven't hit that one yet... and sounds like I need to..

FZRguy
Mon Aug 14th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I would not think that SPR ranks with the Dragon either, Nate. But the Black Mesa (92) easily does. 141 is south of Grand Junction off Hwy 50.

sfarson
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Image of 141 below from earlier this summer.

There isn't a road in the state like Deals Gap. There isn't one with the density of curves one finds at Deals Gap. Not Stove Prairie (Great variety and DG like in places, but straights and gentle curves as well), not 92 from Sapinero to Crawford (Terrific, but long straights before some curves, then more straights, then some curves... watch for the sand and deer), not 141 from Whitewater to Naturita (Mostly sweepers), or anything else. To be sure, there are brief sections of roads in Colorado, maybe for 1-2 miles, rivaling the curves/mile of DG, but nothing crunching 318 curves into 11 miles.

North Turkey Creek is DG like for awhile. Something like 90 curves in 5 miles. But there are residences and traffic. One can find elements of DG in the Front Range canyons. Portions of Gore Pass, Tennessee Pass & Battle Mountain, Cochetopa Canyon, Red Mountain Pass, 133 near Paonia Reservoir, the ascent of Milner Pass from the south, Colorado Monument, 65 on the Grand Mesa, the great three miles (67) between Victor and Cripple Creek, some others come to mind. Have ride vids of most of these roads.

BTW, 134 Gore Pass and 131 to Wolcott are now completely paved. Outstanding. Smooth. Grippy. Was there two weeks ago on a group ride.

Was going to note the Greenhorn Hwy/165 to Bishop's Castle, but while fantastic, mostly bigger curves with a few tight ones thrown in for variety. BTW, leading a sporting ride to Bishop's Castle and San Isabel this Saturday. Returning via Texas Creek, Arkansas Canyon, High Park Rd. PM if interested.

BUT, here's where Colorado wins... the scenery and the road diversity. "Motorcycle friendly" roads east of Colorado look the same. More deciduous trees, maybe a hill with deciduous trees, a barn, a curve in the trees, a curve in the field, lots of straights, white sky humidity. Repeat ad nauseum. Here we have canyons, passes, country roads, big views, rock walls, whitewater rivers, up/up/up, down/down/down, razor blue sky, changing views around every corner, and so forth. And don't get me started on dual sport adventures. No comparison between here and DG imo. We have elements of DG here and there, and much, much more. :)

141 and the Dolores Canyon does have jaw dropping scenery by the way and some nice sweeping curves to keep things interesting. Most Colorado residents don't even know about this jewel, nor would they believe from the pics it is in Colorado...

http://www.farson.com/dolores/canyon.jpg

Gramps
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 05:25 AM
i would agree with everything you said, great pic by the way

the scenery and overall experience is amazing in colorado

it is a great place to ride

but if you take away everything but the road, the dragon wins hands down.

i am glad i get to visit the dragon from time to time:)

sfarson
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 08:45 AM
More than a few, after doing a "Been there, done that" with DG, actually prefer the nearby Cherohala. How about you?

rforsythe
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM
but if you take away everything but the road, the dragon wins hands down.

True, but riding is about so much more than the road. ;)

Gramps
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM
True, but riding is about so much more than the road. ;)

sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't

deals can almost have a track day atmosphere given the right conditions

i never went to the track for the scenery

Gramps
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM
More than a few, after doing a "Been there, done that" with DG, actually prefer the nearby Cherohala. How about you?

i like them both a lot

two very different roads

i guess it depends on what kind of mood i am in:dunno:

it's a toss up, but still some of the best riding in the country

i think the cherohala scares me a little more just because of the speed you can carry through the corners on that road. a wreck or ticket could be a lot worse than the gap

Sully
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
The Skyway is nice :hump:... ahhh.. long sweepers... but if you want more technical and challenging.. do the Dew.. I mean Dragon... :up:...

FZRguy
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM
My brother recently moved to Mooresville, NC, which is just a 150 mile ride to the Deals Gap area. I had plans to go this month but it’s just not gonna work out this year. I expect great riding when I do go but a much different environment than CO. Thanks for the heads-up on Gore/131.

Boy Scout
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM
:yes: I like both for different reasons, but overall I actually like the Cherohala better. Maybe it's because of the ice cream at The Beach on the other side. :yumyum:

rforsythe
Tue Aug 15th, 2006, 04:21 PM
sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't

deals can almost have a track day atmosphere given the right conditions

i never went to the track for the scenery

True, but I consider riding and racing two different things. It's all highly subjective though. Lately I'm content getting my speed fix on the track, and enjoying the scenery a bit more on street rides. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a spirited canyon ride sometimes, I just have other reasons to like street riding now than seeing how fast I can go.

Never been to DG either, but this is just a general personal view on it anyway. And it may evolve over time, as has my passion for motorcycling.

Gramps
Wed Aug 16th, 2006, 06:04 AM
i know where you are coming from ralph

i think everyone changes their veiw on riding as you have more seat time

although the area surrounding the gap and the gap, while having great scenery, is probably not the best place to sight see unless you are stopped

too many curves in such a concentrated area to loose much concentration on the road

in that area you could sight see yourself right into the ditch pretty quick

even the cherohala is no place to really take in the scenery too much

Gramps
Wed Aug 16th, 2006, 06:05 AM
:yes: I like both for different reasons, but overall I actually like the Cherohala better. Maybe it's because of the ice cream at The Beach on the other side. :yumyum:

i may have to go have some of that before the season ends

Gramps
Wed Aug 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM
BULLETIN: The second death on the Dragon for 2006 occurred on Tuesday afternoon August 15 near mile marker six at about 1:15 pm. According to TN HP Carlos Suarez, age 34, veered off the road in a curve and hit a tree. He was riding a 2000 Honda CBR. Riders should know that even a simple low side can have serious consequences on the Dragon. Please slow down and ride safe.

this has been a bad year up there

Nick_Ninja
Wed Aug 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM
BULLETIN: The second death on the Dragon for 2006 occurred on Tuesday afternoon August 15 near mile marker six at about 1:15 pm. According to TN HP Carlos Suarez, age 34, veered off the road in a curve and hit a tree. He was riding a 2000 Honda CBR. Riders should know that even a simple low side can have serious consequences on the Dragon. Please slow down and ride safe.

Sorry to hear this. News like that seems to make it a matter of time until the hammer comes down on that road. I can only imagine the kind of rider that that place attracts. Be careful.

*KEN*
Wed Aug 16th, 2006, 06:15 PM

2 deaths is a bad year? Seems like there's at least that every year.

Gramps
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 05:23 AM
2 deaths is a bad year? Seems like there's at least that every year.

actually the last couple of years there hasn't been any deaths at all up there

that is a big misconception about deals

snake226
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 02:16 PM
The following list is taken from tailofthedragon.com. They have been tracking motorcycle fatalities on the Dragon since '95.

While the numbers might seem high for a 14 mile stretch of road, it must be remembered that there is a disproportionately high amount of motorcycle traffic on that road every year as compared to many others. The Cherohala, for instance, sees much less traffic than the Dragon but has more fatalities.

FATALITIES:
2006 - One death as of August 1: Rider went off road and hit tree.
2005 - Three deaths: All three deaths involved failing to negociate corners - two went off the mountain and one slid into an oncoming vehicle.
2004 - Two deaths: Both deaths apparently caused by speed and then overbraking.
2003 - No deaths: There were several deaths in the surrounding area of the Dragon, but none that we know of on the 11 miles of the Dragon itself.
2002 - Two deaths: On June 16 a 29 year-old Dale Bently a Valkyrie rider from Michigan died on the Dragon. The rider was passing a car near the Horns of the Dragon when he wrecked and suffered fatal head injuries. The second death occurred on Sunday August 4 when Lendry R. Obanna Jr., 24, of Jacksonville, Florida, lost control of his 2000 Yamaha R6.
2001 - Two deaths: The entire Blount County (home of the Dragon) saw a total of four motorycle fatalities in 2001. The total includes the deaths of a 27-year-old Knoxville man who died March 10 in a collision on Old Knoxville Highway in Rockford, the May 5th death on the Dragon, the July 5th death of a 43-year-old Maryville man in an accident on Happy Valley Road, and the October 27th death on the Dragon.
2000 - One death: Blount County had four motorcycle deaths in 2000 including one fatality on the Dragon.
1999 - One death: Only one motorcycle death in 1999
1998 - No deaths: No fatal motorcycle crashes in 1998.
1997 - One death: A single motorcycle fatality is listed in 1997.
1996 - One death: A single motorcycle fatality in 1996.
1995 - Two deaths: In 1995, two men died in separate July 3 motorcycle crashes on the Dragon during the July 4 holiday weekend.

Gramps
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 02:27 PM
i wonder if all those are on the stretch from the store to the overlook

i didn't think it was that high last year , if any

good find though, just not something i look at much. i don't really want to be reminded of it:)

snake226
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Actually, I know for a fact that at least two of the three last year occured past the overlook (towards Tabcat Bridge.) One was on rocket corner, the other was on the whip. Not sure about the third.

But yeah, I'm with you, if we all focused on the increased danger that even being on a bike presented, none of us would ride.

snake226
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear this. News like that seems to make it a matter of time until the hammer comes down on that road. I can only imagine the kind of rider that that place attracts. Be careful.

The Dragon attracts all types of riders, some better than others. I've been out there the last three summers and have met some really, really good people. I've seen some blindingly fast, but exceptionally safe riders, and I've also been witness to plenty of poor riders on all types of bikes.....really though, nothing worse than you will see on any given weekend around town or in the canyons.

On the Dragon, there is more of an incentive to go fast and less room for error than on some other roads, which does add to the risk however. Even so, a rider who takes the time to learn the road, always respects the danger of the activity, and stays within reasonable limits for the street is, IMO, not in significantly any more danger than riding through any of the twisties around here.

At any rate, the Dragon is completely unlike anything you'll find in CO, and is well worth the trip; I look forward to that one week out there all year. It's actually hard to describe if you haven't seen it firsthand......and while the videos are cool, they really don't do it justice either. The whole area has some great roads, and as a few have pointed out, the Dragon doesn't always rate as the undisputed best.

snake226
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 05:29 PM
This was posted up on the R6 forum:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=63111

He was with the Jacksonville Sheriffs Dept. RIP