PDA

View Full Version : So uh...anyone got an extra ZX-11 Engine lyin around?

Stuart Little
Wed Jul 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM
So... I'm just getting on I-225 Northbound from Parker Rd, I'm going around 65 to fit in with traffic when I hear a loud noise, lose all power, and the rear end gets a lil' squirrely for half a second.... So going from 65 to 0 relatively quickly wasn't happy, especially with someone behind me.

That would be my chain shooting through the upper half of my engine casing :(

So, I need someone good with motors to let me know if I need an entirely new motor of if I just need new parts/covers, I have all thurs & friday off from work if anyone's available. (I included my one pic taken during daylight on the highway)

Also, I'll need to locate a new engine if necessary for a 93zx-11d, I believe all 91-96 zx1100 c & d model engines will work, i'll contact a local kawi dealer to see what all engines will fit tomorrow...

Sigh, it was pointed out to me that it could be worse, chain coulda wrapped up in the rear wheel at 65 and launching me off the bike into highway traffic, I guess it'll take a bit for that one to sink in since it didn't happen...

Help Me... Puhhleeease!

Spiderman
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 12:29 AM
That really sucks, Stewie! But yes, you are lucky - a chain spinning at that speed could probably take a leg off too. :shock:

If it punched a hole in your engine, then I'm about 99.9% sure you need a whole new motor. Check Steels salvage yard - # is on the shops page (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/shops.html)

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 08:28 AM
From your photo it just looks like the clutch and maybe the waterpump housings. That stuff is located around the counter shaft sproket. I doubt that it screwed your engine internals.

~Barn~
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Mary told me about this yesterday, Stu. Glad you didn't crash!
Good luck with the repairs.

Stuart Little
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
From your photo it just looks like the clutch and maybe the waterpump housings. That stuff is located around the counter shaft sproket. I doubt that it screwed your engine internals.

Ya see that part that has an open circle? That used to be the part where I'd put in oil after unscrewing the cap... Is that a housing or part of the engine?

Hmm, that's why I need someone to take a look at it with me :)

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 09:51 AM
That might be part of the casing :-(

Mista Black
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 11:14 AM
*cough* shaft drive *cough*

Glad you're ok stu. And I hope the repairs are easier/cheaper than they look.

pg_rider
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM
That'll buff right out...

I've heard of bikes spitting chains right out the back -- at least that didn't happen! Coulda killed someone! :)

konichd
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Part that thing out on E-bay unless your totally in love with this bike and want to keep it forever.

Glad to hear your OK, but I think the repairs would be a good start to an "upgraded" bike.

Its a Kawi, I'm surprised it lasted this long. :lol:

Lee
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Stuart Little,

I am so sorry to see that picture of your bike.

I am glad that you are intact and okay.

I have to ask: Do you have any idea why this happened and/or how it could have been prevented?

Lee

~Barn~
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing that a newer chain could have prevented it. The thing broke, and was probably on the bike for who knows how long, when he got it.
:dunno:

Suki
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM
dang stewy!!! shiza! glad you're okay, when alan told me what happened i didn't really understand, from the sounds of it luck was on your side that you didn't injure yourself! wow!

haywood jablome
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I say put a nice BRAND NEW CSC sticker over all the scratched and dented areas and you SHOULD be good to go.... Anyone else agree with me on this one?

~Barn~
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 02:05 PM
:lol:

TT5.0
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I've had holes in casings fixed by TIG welding before; it's hard to tell what's going on in your pic. Post some more pictures, maybe we could give some advice.

Stuart Little
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Here are some additional Pics, it looks like whatever this black casing (the cover from the smaller sprocket) was just moved a bit (despite the fact that the chain blew the top of it off), so it looks like if the spot where I put in oil is put back on (which I have), and the casing of the final drive is moved over a little and then welded all would be good.

Can anyone look at this in person to verify this (i'm sure a sixer would be in order), I'll have to ask someone to help me get it to a shop anyways but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before taking it there and whether or not they will weld/fix it for me.

Stu

Stuart Little
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Two More

Stuart Little
Thu Jul 27th, 2006, 04:49 PM
So the basics of it are to me that it shot off the oil fill plug and luckily for my leg it just blew through whatever that plastic tube is there with the overfill hose coming out from the bottom of it in the first pic, but it's still holding all it's oil fine...

busagirl
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Dang stewie... Sorry to hear about your bike! :( Glad you're ok though! :D

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Here's a contact that might save you some cash. Mr. Brown can weld almost anything. It will be cheaper than an engine or new bike payments.

BROWN'S WELDING INC
2754 47TH ST
BOULDER, CO 80301
303-442-3946

Flip
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'm wondering about metal shavings now into the motor, and what effect would this have on a transmission, if any? :cry:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I'm wondering about metal shavings now into the motor, and what effect would this have on a transmission, if any? :cry:

Drain the oil. Replace the filter and fill the oil back up. Run the engine for a minute or two. Drain the oil again and repeate the process. maybe even two or three times.

Stuart Little
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM
You guys are getting ahead of yourselves :) First I have to pull off the final drive cover, get the chain out if I can, pull of the clutch cylinder and see if the part where I fill the oil is part of the engine casing or just a covering part I can replace.

Suki
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
"You guys are getting ahead of yourselves"
:lol:
then why don't you do that first and THEN ask for people's input, eh?

mclarke
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Stewie... Damn kawi's!

*cough* buy Yamaha ;)

If you need help bud gimmie a shout, I am good with a wrench and always work for beer. Lol..

315-527-4055

Airreed
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Matt, I thought you worked for 'da cack too?

mclarke
Fri Jul 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Shhh.... That is not widely known yet.. Depends what kind of Crack it is!!!

Stuart Little
Sat Jul 29th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Alright, Dana & I are going to look at it tomorrow but I think I lucked out. The filler plug IS an separate case that attaches to the engine case.

So it looks like a little more than 300 in parts: cover transmission, gasket, oil level gauge, o-ring, chain, chain guard, sprocket cover, sprocket seal a few gallons of oil & possibly a new front sprocket & don't forget the priceless wounded pride.

FZRguy
Sat Jul 29th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Have not seen the damage in person, but I bet it can be repaired. So, basically your chain broke and it bunched up at the cases, which can be gnarly bad. Glad it didn’t put you on the ground or someone rear-end you.