PDA

View Full Version : Winter BBG Ride?

OldKneeDragger
Sun Feb 1st, 2004, 11:48 AM
All this talk by Detrich-R1, Harry Biker, Nick_Ninja and others is not helping one bit when there is snow on the road... The Moab Trip is a great proposal and South Eastern Utah is a unrecognized charm of beauty and great riding (albiet the unmarked Utah hiway patrol in their SUV's and PU's...). I've spent a lot of time riding roads in that area as it was day rides from Farmington where I used to live. I'd love to join you if I can get the time off.

However, what about us poor working stiffs that just don't have much time to spare (I've already commited the bulk of my time off for a ride to Alasak this summer)? A ride that would surely cure the wintertime blues would be a BBG. Think about it, only 24 hours long and 1500+ miles. Anybody interested in joining? witnessing? or simply cheering? As Detrich-R1 has been saying, better sooner than later. A ride like this is best done when it's cool, but dry pavement. Undoubtedly there will be a warm weekend before the middle of March that would work.

This route has very little overlapping road on the loop, some carefully chosen 2 lane with out a lot of traffic, and some doses of freeway to makeup some miles if needed. The problem areas to deal with would be getting through Phoenix on east Baseline toward globe and the traffic around Santa Fe. A little thinking and we can work that out as well.

Microsoft Streets & Trips puts this at 1575 miles, just barely enough for the BBG...

http://images.sportbikes.org/bbg.jpg

Harry Biker
Sun Feb 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM
I'd definately witness you. Name the place & time & I'll be there.

I did one of these last year during the 50cc,(I know, the Big Dogs would never combine an IBA ride w/ another, but I was a newbie) 1532 miles w/ an average overall time/speed of 63 mph. One TOUGH ride!! You clearly have a great range on your new bike & should be able to get more mileage.

My current feeling is to do some of the rides I have not done yet such as a SS2K, B2B, BBG3K, etc. There are also 2 rides in particular the Coast to Coast Insanity, or the Sunrise to Sunset Insanity, where only 1 rider has completed either of these rides. I'd like to do the CCI & break the current record. This ride is from Goose Bay Labrado to San Ysidro California in under 5 days.

What is your planned start date for your Alaska trip? Can you roll 5/28 or 5/29? Are you still ok with Hwy 1 en-route?

OldKneeDragger
Sun Feb 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
I've done the BBG before (three times) but they were never documented and thus don't exist. I attemted the BBG3K in the Blister but the tire gave up (to the point I was throwing sparks from the metal cords) and I had to trailer the bike home :(

This ride is more out of boredom than any desire to hang the paper on the wall...

The Alaska ride is going to be for pure fun... I'll probally wait till the last minute to decide the actual departure time and route. Highway 1 sounds very interesting, it's been about 25 years since I did that on a bike (an old Z1) and at the time, there were several parts of the highway closed due to land slides.

towneh
Sun Feb 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
greetngs okneedragger,

looks like some challenging terrain in that loop!!! i'd be glad to witness but i'm holding out my limited time for other rides i haven't done yet.

i fall in the same category (i.e. long distance noobie...) as Harry. i did a bbg the same stretch of highway, same weekend, same circumstances.... i'm verifying my fuel stops for Tijuana to Coutts b2b-insanity; a distance of 1460 miles.

the Busa is a new sled to me so i'm using a range of 150 mi with a variance of 10 percent. Harry has the right bike for the Alaska rides; I just blew a fork seal on the local, tame roads (no wheelie/stoppie). I hate to think of the damage those roads would gen up there.

tell me when and where for the witness,
henry

Dietrich_R1
Sun Feb 1st, 2004, 06:33 PM
Giddy-UP!!!!!

Dietrich

GSL
Mon Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Hey OKD,

If you do this ride March 6 or later, I'm in if ya want a tailgunner. If not, I'd be glad to swing by and witness your start or finish.

Cheers,
Will

Dietrich_R1
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:52 AM
If you need a place to crash, I've got a spare room.

OldKneeDragger
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:25 AM
Crash on a BBG doesn't sound quite right to me ;) Thanks for the offer though. This is still very early in the planning, most importantly the weather and the timing needs to be right for doing the mountain passes.

Harry Biker
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:15 AM
GSL's, "Da- BOMB!" ;)
One day when,(ok if) I grow's up.........I wanna be a stud just like you ya BIG DAWG!

GSL
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I would think that the mtn passes will make this ride a bit extra challenging. A BBG is hard enough without those extra, er, uh, "performance" issues. ;) I also don't think that even a catnap along the way is an option. Anything less than perfect conditions will turn it into a BB instead of a BBG, for me, at least.

I do have a friend in Flagstaff, so I can get up-to-the-last-minute weather/road reports for the AZ high country.

Hey Harry! :hibye: When'r we goin dirt riding again? :D

Harry Biker
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Soon as I get's me a new back! Which may be as early as 2/16/04! Then a little rehab & I'll be skipping in no time. Next time we will cross over Tin Cup! Been awhile since I've been ascared- Say howdy to your DRZ mama for me.

One dirt ride I definately want to do was written up in Rider 6-9 months ago by Clement Salvadori. He basically took our type a scoots from Can to Mex over the continental divide via dirt & did not say it was too technical. Which does not apply to you- you could ride the trip on your back wheel to avoid any potential boredom, but it'd work just fine from me!!

If the weather's half way decent this weekend or the next we should hook up @ the Hungry Bear to shoot the sheyite. You come too Old Knee so we can talk more about THE RIDE!

GSL
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:32 PM
I'd be up for hookin up at the Hungry Bear or wherever this weekend. :up: We'll be in Reno next weekend, dirt and dune ridin... :D

Hey, speakin of that Border to Border off road, we're working on a new Ironbutt dirtride. Border to Border, all-dirt (except as needed to cross borders) in ??? amount of time. Senoir Kneebone said he'd let me set the time requirements once we've done some more scouting. I'm hoping that we can do it in 36 hours and be IBA respectable. ;) Start in El Paso, run up thru NM, eastern CO, eastern WY and eastern MT. Will probably scout some this year and set a rally date for 2005ish. Scoutin will be half the fun (ok, maybe most of the fun)! :D

What's up with the back?

Oh and, if your early June looks open (although I see you've already penciled in a B2B), I'm in on the MTF trans-Canada, east to west, with a lap around the :bow: Cabot Trail before the starting gun. ;) Open invite to all who have at least a SS2K under their belt.
http://www.bsu.edu/web/00amleduc/mtf/TC/TC04.htm

Harry Biker
Wed Feb 4th, 2004, 07:02 AM
8) :D Oohhhhhh, a B2B-dusty butt sounds outstanding to say the least!!

As with several other places...I've wanted to do the Cabot Trail for some time now and am familiar with the MTF's Trans Canadian & UCC coming up this June. I actually had the time off to run the UCC South to North & REALLY wanted to do this ride with all the support they'll be having w/satelite phones/trucks/Barbque on the 11th in Fairbanks etc. Also, started getting paranoid with the thought that the feds might shut down the haul road due to recent terror crap.Except, :( my little girl was getting upset with the thought that I'd be gone for ~ 3 weeks! :cry: . so I bailed.

Anyhoo, if I start to get the sense that "ahem" people that now say that want to ride this summer but just -can't -quite- pull the commit trigger, I very well may opt for the Trans/CAN. seein as how I'm on vacation for the perfect amount of time to hit the start 6/2 & the banquet 6/6. In fact, I could roll out of Denver as early as 3pm 5/27 & don't have to be back @ work until 6/9. Hmmmm. When are you heading out of the woods?

Technically I have a grade 2 spondylolisthesis with complete pars defect w/ severe bilateral spinal stenosis/radiculapathy,(for our medical bikers & I know you're out there.) L5 will be welded,(fused-internally fixed) to S1 & a new shock,(disc-part synthetic @$3K for 5 ounces like an Ohlins) will be placed @ L5-S1 anteriorly,(I asked for some lippo @ the same time-not likely to happen though) Plus I may gain an inch as the doc re-aligns the vertebrae. Yippee kai yae!

Harry Biker
Wed Feb 4th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Will are you doing the TCG or the TCQ?

Harry Biker
Fri Feb 6th, 2004, 06:52 AM
breaker.. breake for that GSL, ya still got yer ears on there good buddy?

Would that be a "gold" attempt or the more sedate "quest"? Seems to me the "gold" is like doing a SS4K in only 3 days! Yikes!! I for 1 would be like Spidey's little jumper, Italian Grey-Hound in the land of Tibetan Mastiffs.

Anyhoo, let's rain check that breakfast you were buying ;) this weekend till some of the white stuff goes away.

GSL
Fri Feb 6th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Hey Harry,
Sorry to bail on the conversation. I went out of town for a conference and left the laptop in dry dock.

I'm planning to attempt a TCG (under 75 hours). I will fall back on the 90 hour version if the scenery around Lake Louise tempts me to slow down and smell the roses (and take some pictures). :D My current plan is to leave CO the afternoon/evening of May 26. I'm prolly gonna B-line it straight across I-70 and visit my parents just south of Pittsburgh for a day. Then take a zig-zag pattern up thru PA, NY, and New England before a loop around the Cabot Trail (time permitting). I haven't fully roughed out the mileage to know if that works or not. Visiting the folks is definitely gonna take precidence over riding the Cabot Trail.

Once across Canada, I hope to take at least a day to ride around in BC, before turning south. Again, I still gotta map out the entire thing and do a reality check. ;)

Roger on the b-fast.

OldKneeDragger
Fri Feb 6th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Mind if I join you hard core guys for breakfast? What time do you normally get there? Sure sounds cold :lol:

towneh
Fri Feb 6th, 2004, 10:28 PM
it would appear that they are 'bagging-it' (i.e. it's a no-go).
Harry said "Anyhoo, let's rain check that breakfast you were buying this weekend till some of the white stuff goes away". and Will replied"Roger on the b-fast".

but here is somthing to get the juices goin... :lol: henry

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/uploads/sd2coutts.JPG

GSL
Sat Feb 7th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Hey OldKneeDragger,

If ya want to get together sometime, I'd love to chat some about this BBG. Detailed type stuff that's sometimes easier off-line. Like what bike ya taking? Average speed? Top speed? Have you pre-ridden all parts of the loop? What's your gas stop strategy? etc. etc. etc.

If I go, I'll prolly take the beemer (heated grips, extra outlets, more comfort and stuff). Which means I won't be breakin any speed records and can usually get 280-300 miles out of a tank, so fewer stops. Not sure if that makes us compatible riders or not. :? I typically find that about 1 in a 100 people are compatible riders for LD riding.

Anyway, most of my weekends are shot for the rest of February. About the only time I could get together for b-fast is tomorrow morning or Sunday, the 22nd.

Cheers,
Will

OldKneeDragger
Sat Feb 7th, 2004, 09:04 PM
GSL, I too would like to hook up with you and Harry again sometime... Tomorrow I need to run down to Farmington for business so it might be the 22nd ;) As you point out, LD riding is tuff to do in a group. I really prefer to ride by myself but it is fun to have others riding the same route, just not together. I've rode all the roads in the BBG suggestion many times before and they are good roads without a lot of traffic (except on the freeways around Phoenix).

I've done the BBG several times, and always on back roads with some twisties thrown in to keep it fun. One of rides should have been documented but wasn't for reasons I don't want to discuss here :(

The ride today was a nice leasurely 6 1/2 hour ride, 450 miles...had 17 miles of dirt road along the top of New Mexico which you would have enjoyed. The roads were new to me and I had a blast. I was on the FJR today getting about 220 miles per tank (my zx12 only goes about 175 miles without the fuel cell).
http://images.sportbikes.org/feb7.jpg

GSL
Sun Feb 8th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Nice loop for a winter ride! :D I love that stretch of road between La Junta and Kim. Certain times of the year, the road seems to move "on it's own", as the tarantulas cross back and forth. ;)

Cheers!

Harry Biker
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Ya'll wanna shoot for the 22nd for some chow @ the H-Bear?
I'm only showin up via 2 wheeler so I'll keep my fingers crossed re: road conditions. It'll take me ~ 90 minutes to get there, so how's 10:30 grab ya?

GSL
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Works for me. 8)

Harry Biker
Fri Feb 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM
I'm still planning on chowin @ the Bear, so unless the wx turns to crap I'll see you there @ 10:30-ish.

Anyone else that wants to meet to eat we could hook up @ Panera or similar, & then roll South

Nick_Ninja
Fri Feb 13th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Harry Biker wrote:

I'm still planning on chowin @ the Bear, so unless the wx turns to crap I'll see you there @ 10:30-ish.

Anyone else that wants to meet to eat we could hook up @ Panera or similar, & then roll South

Would ----- but the ice flow has me in dry dock :321:

Harry Biker
Sat Feb 14th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Will,
Do me a fave & let me know road status & I'll check back here Sunday AM.
Thanks,
Harry

Harry Biker
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Alrighty, I'm rollin @ 9am. Hope to see you there.

GSL
Tue Feb 17th, 2004, 03:53 PM
?? :? ??

I just got in from Reno. I thought you said the 22nd?

FWIW, 4 dirt days in Reno is a great cure for PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome)... ;)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Feb 17th, 2004, 07:17 PM
GSL wrote:

I thought you said the 22nd?

He did. I keep lurking here.

OldKneeDragger
Tue Feb 17th, 2004, 07:41 PM
The weather guessers are saying snow on the 22nd... I busted one of the zippers on the leg of my gerbing last weekend. Gerbing said that they would fix them under warrantee but I won't have them back in time for Sunday if I send them now. At least the Velcro still works... So is the 22nd still on?

I sent the seat to my FJR to Russel for the "Day Long" treatment. They are running behind and won't have it done till sometime next week. My old KZ1300 is down waiting on time to rework the carburators again so I will be on the ZX12R for the next couple of weeks.. Gee life is tough;)

GSL
Tue Feb 17th, 2004, 08:44 PM
I'd say the 22nd is still on! 8)

If the weather in Woodland Park doesn't cooperate, we could meet at King Chef in C. Springs? Or the Gooseberry Patch in Penrose?

Or?? ?? ??

If we met at the Gooseberry, we could follow up with some dirt riding at PMP.... :D

OldKneeDragger
Wed Feb 18th, 2004, 07:20 AM
we could follow up with some dirt riding at PMP.... :D
Is that supposed to be training for my haul road adventure this summer? :roll:

Harry Biker
Wed Feb 18th, 2004, 07:23 AM
:lol: You know it was kinda funny? as I was rolling South on 2/15 for our bkfst mtg & the thought crossed my mind that I mighta said the 22nd! :idea: :? :| :( :cry:

Sure enjoyed that corned beef hash & eggs with the huge flapjacks on the side.Burp. I think Jeanna the receptionist was diggin my MC garb. If only she were 40 years younger ;)

Anyhoo, sorry I screwed that up. Now I'm not so sure I can attend on the 22nd! :oops:

Was thinking how today would've been a great day to tackle the BBG with temps a good 20+degrees above norm. Just about 12 hours of daylight too!
Reno in February on the dirt....Tasty!

OldKneeDragger
Wed Feb 18th, 2004, 07:34 PM
You know all this talk of dirt doesn't help things a bit... I sold my KTM LC4 just before I move up here :(

OldKneeDragger
Thu Feb 19th, 2004, 06:29 PM
I guess I am going to miss the 22nd... I've decided to make a run down to Las Cruces where it is a bit warmer and visit some friends. I'll have my satellite tracking on :) Check it out... http://www.star-traxx.com log on with "star-traxx" and a password of "demo". I'll be the ZX12 of course. I will explain more about this later ;)

GSL
Sat Feb 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM
That's pretty cool! :up: I might have to get one of those for my trip across Canada, so Jen can follow my progress.[/img]

GSL
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Hey OldKneeDragger,

How about let's do that BBG this coming weekend? The weather looks pretty good for it.

Will

OldKneeDragger
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I almost did one last weekend :) It was one of those spur of the moment thoughts that cross your mind on a Friday afternoon when nobody is looking :lol: I was running the satellite tracking system again and prepared a little report using the system...

http://www.star-traxx.com/TripReport.asp?TripID=1050526368

What time do you want to leave.. It would totally mess with my sleep patterns but if we left in the mid afternoon we could do all the mountains when it is warm (going and comming) and spend the middle of the night riding where it is warm (Arizona). I have a lot on my plate this week but I'm game unless something unexpected happens between now and then!

GSL
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I was thinking it would be good to take off late morning or noon, be in AZ at night, and then get back home late morning or noon.

8)

:idea:

If ya want, you could spend the night up here in Woodland Park and my wife could sign us out whenever we got up and felt like moving.

Then, you're wife could sign us in at Pueblo.

GSL
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Sumtin' like this... (1573.6 miles) Actually, it's only 1555 if you take out that kink to Alamosa (via route 17) with a straight line. I'm just too lazy to repost the pic.

http://eurobikedenver.smugmug.com/photos/2888025-L.jpg

OldKneeDragger
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 09:21 PM
I can see everybody is going to have heck with me all week long now that you have this in my head 8) I need to go to Farmington on Wednesday and I hope to be back late Thursday... Actually, the later the better as I haven't slept past 6:00 AM in a long time this will help me shift my sleep pattern.

A very interesting route between Woodland Park and Pueblo, not too many people would see the beauty in that short cut ;) I’m not sure if I should ride up the morning we leave or what. I always have trouble sleeping before an exciting ride and probably should try to have as few as distractions as possible.

OldKneeDragger
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 09:51 PM
The bottle necks I see on the proposed route are:

1) Getting From I10 in Phoenix across 60 east of town. As I recall, there are lots of stop lights going through Tempe. Night time would definately be best to advoid traffic, but you still have to keep a good eye out for drunks leaving the bars depending on the time.

2) From a bigger picture, Highway 60 from Globe to Show low has some really nice twisties and sweepers. It's a fun road during the day if traffic isn't too bad. Could be a little slow if in the middle of the night looking for desert rats.

3) Santa Fe is the pits with traffic all the way to Espanola almost anytime.

All are doable but I'd like to think about it a bit... If we left early in the morning, say around 6 or 7 with a goal of getting to Show Low before dark, then we could just make a bee line to I25 and spend the night droning on the Freeway.

But heck, now you see the problem, I just get too excited thinking of the possibilities :)

Just a thought...
http://images.sportbikes.org/bbgversion2.jpg

GSL
Tue Mar 16th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Yep, yep, that route looks good too. 8)

To be honest, I generally have a hard time sleeping once the sun comes up. My daily work schedule is 4:30 am to 2:30 pm. On weekends, I have a hard time sleeping beyond 7am. When I did my first SS1K, I woke up at 2am and just said to hell with it. Wife signed me out and I was on my way. Other rides have varied in this regard. I'm game for "whatever".

I will prep my bike as if "it's on". And we can decide Friday....

Oh, and, I plan on riding my BMW for the extra elec outlets and heated grips, so I tend to ride slow(er) and steady (10-15 over), as opposed to being on the Falco (20 something over). Ironically, I average better on the BMW because I stop for gas half as often. ;)

Cheers!

OldKneeDragger
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Sounds good... I think we will be riding the same speed... I'll be back in Farmington tomorrow and we can finialize things. So do you have 12V easily accessable on your bike? Can we put a Star-Traxx tracking thing on it as well? Might be fun to have a "respectiable bmw" with one :) :) :)

OldKneeDragger
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
You know, I don't know where I am :( It looks like maybe this is Farmington I'm in now, I rode the ZX12 over last night and it was cold as heck on Cumbres Pass at 9:00 PM ... I was just praying I would make Chama so I could get a room and warm up :( Things got warmer as I came off the mountain and I went on into Farmington. I've got the bike in the back of a rented truck loaded with a lot of stuff I am moving and am about to head back to PUEBLO... yeah, that's where I think I live now,,,, sometimes I forget :lol:

I need to look, but I am told that we can catch the 101 north of Phoenix off of I17 and ride the diamond lanes all the way to apache junction where we catch highway 60... no stop lights at all. If we leave at 7:00 AM, I'm thinking it will be around 6 or 7 PM when we are there so traffic on a Saturday shouldn't be a problem :)

That would give me Sunday to recover and try to make it right with the wife :?

GSL
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 04:47 PM
"respectiable bmw" ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: You've never seen my bike...

http://www.pbase.com/image/4405102/medium.jpg

Yeah, it's got 12V accessible all over the place. The frame, the gas tank, the handlebars, the... :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I've got two BMW style plugs on the thing. One I use for my electric vest and the other already has a splitter to run the GPS and detect rads. I don't have a volt meter on it, so I don't really know how much I'm hittin' it. I suppose it could juice up one more gadget, but will want to do some research before playing with the electrical system the night before a big ride. How much power does it draw out?

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I gotta say my name slid slightly over towards the "maybe" column when I got home from work today. Long story short, I've got to rebuild a dog kennel before the weekend. Will keep you informed...

GSL
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Ok, false alarm. I'm back into the "let's roll" column.

I was able to scab together some 2 x 4 and plywood and patch the hole in the kennel, so it's good as new. Well, "good as new" in a West Virginia sort of way. ;) (I can say that, cuz I'm from there)

So, it's on! 8) Any route, any time, is good for me. I just want to get out and ride all weekend.

towneh
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Will, that sounds like some "hoopies" technology...... the beemer looks like R2D2 after a bad drinking binge!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
you guys ride safe! weather looks great; i'm tempted to ride to Padre Island and back...
--worked Weirton/Wheeling for 5 years--
henry

GSL
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Will, that sounds like some "hoopies" technology...... the beemer looks like R2D2 after a bad drinking binge!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
you guys ride safe! weather looks great; i'm tempted to ride to Padre Island and back...
--worked Weirton/Wheeling for 5 years--
henry

Woah, few people have actually heard of "hoopies". ;) My mother-out-law is a real one, too. Made those metal "hoops" for the whiskey kegs - true hoopie.

I'm from Morgantown and spent many a high school/college night trolling in Wheeling. :drink:

Padre Island and back in a weekend? Cool! SS2K. I wish Texas at night didn't suck so bad. Watch out for the ever present deer. Also, a new Texas state law that is not entirely well advertised - if you see a cop ahead of you on the shoulder with his lights on, you have to move to the left lane and fall 10 mph below the posted limit. However, they may go easy on out of staters.

Ride safe!

OldKneeDragger
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Power consumption is very low... in the idle mode it consumes less than 80mA (less than 1 watt) when it transmitts, once per hour, it will consume up to 10 watts for a couple of seconds then go back to the low power mode.

I understand your reludance on short notice, but it should be a snap to bungie it on or something. I've never really looked at the BMW plugs, but I wouldn't expect any challenges that we couldn't overcome.

I had a tire waiting for me when I got home this evening. Gerbing promises that I will have my electric pants by Friday. The FJR provides a lot better wind protection than the ninja does, I sure which I had those pants yesterday...

OldKneeDragger
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 01:26 PM
If we want to get the BBG certification from the IBA then we will need TWO witnesses at the start and at the end. They suggest, but don't require that you follow the rules for the extreeme rides (pre approved witness or law enforcement type). So I guess that we at least need one more witness at each end besides our wifes. Anybody like early mornings and want to play witness? (I'll buy the breakfast and coffee:) )

GSL
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 03:28 PM
It has been my understanding that two regular witnesses can be replaced by one IBA member (see Extreme Ride Rules - "Find at least one police officer, firefighter, judge, notary public or authorized Iron Butt Association member"). This was the case when we rode the 100CC last year. I only had one person sign me in and one person sign me out. In both cases, that person was already an IBA member.

If this sounds correct to you, my wife's signature will suffice for the start of the ride. She's certifiable, er, I mean, certified. ;)

I will check the MTF Tourer's Assistant list and see if anyone is in Pueblo. I'm also gonna run down to the cop shop down the street and ask if they would be willing.

Hoopty
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I'm in, just meet at my house in the morning, ok? :D :lol:

GSL
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I'm in, just meet at my house in the morning, ok? :D :lol:

COOL! Just make sure you got fresh oil and tires, and maybe lay off the wheelies for the next 1575 miles... ;)

Hoopty
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I was actually referring to signing you guys out. :P I don't think I could handle 1500 in a day, especially with the clip-ons that I have on the SV right now! :shock:

Very funny on the wheelie part. :cry:

GSL
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I was actually referring to signing you guys out.

Yeah, I know. Just givin ya she-it... ;)

GSL
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM
So the cops down the street said that, barring some unforeseen disaster that keeps them tied to the telephone, they would be happy to sign us out.

So, unless there are any objections, our official starting point is the Woodland Park Police Department, 911 Tamarac Parkway, Woodland Park, CO 80863. Say, 7 or 8 am Saturday morning? It's about 1.5 miles out of town on Highway 67 north.

Again, you're welcome to crash at my place Friday night.

http://eurobikedenver.smugmug.com/photos/2935326-L.jpg

OldKneeDragger
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Ok, this is looking good! I have a new tire being mounted as we speak. The bike has been serviced and is ready to go. The only thing I don't have on the bike now is the radar detector and I don't see this as a bonzi ride so I probally won't even worry about that.

You have the witness lined up for the start... I guess I better find out where the cop shop is here for the finish...

So what do you think of breakfast at 6:30 somewhere in Woodland park? I don't know what time I will get done on Friday and when I will be heading up that way.. I will just grab a room at the Country Inn and try to get a good nights sleep before we take off on Saturday ;)

GSL
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM
6:30 breakfast at the Hungry Bear? ;)

Actually, how about 6:15. That way we'll get done before the breakfast crowd shows up at 7, and we could just have Trish the waitress be our second witness. She's a moto-cross mom and I'm sure she'd be happy to help as long as the place isn't busy.

One last thing, could you email your .est file of the final route selection? I've only got the rough waypoints worked out and it sounds like you've got more detail (to avoid traffic lights).

Thanks,
Will
eurobikedenver@yahoo.com

GSL
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Also, I might be able to arrange to have Ray, a moto-cross friend of mine who lives in Pueblo West, meet us somewhere and sign us in at 7am(ish) on Sunday morning. We just need to pick a place to meet.

My wife Jen also offered to sign us in. Her and Ray are motocrossing at the motorsports park on Sunday. She wasn't going to get there until 9, but would be willing to show up earlier if we need.

OldKneeDragger
Fri Mar 19th, 2004, 07:27 AM
So cool... Now if Gerbing doesn't let me down. They promised that they would repair my pants and send them back to me by today. UPS shows up late (around 6 PM) so this will be down to the wire.

my direct email is ron@neartime.com and my cell is 719-251-0140

btw, I'm in this more for the ride than the bbg, if you have any other ideas for a nice little 1500+ mile way to get from Woodland Park to Pueblo then I'm very open to suggestion. Fact of the mater is, I love to go where I haven't been before and I've been on the roads we have mapped out many times before.

It's all fun!

Ron

OldKneeDragger
Fri Mar 19th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I just got the tracking number for my Gerbing pants... They sent them to the wrong address. They are showing up today at our old office in Farmington. I guess it's a good thing we are going that direction, I need to make a very fast pit stop there and pick them up along the way. They will be most needed in the wee hours of Sunday.

Of course that means that it is going to be a bit cool pulling out in the morning :?

GSL
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Great ride! :cheers:

Now, I need some more sleep...

OldKneeDragger
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 06:35 PM
I really enjoyed the ride! It's great to ride with someone else who has the same general style :D Anytime you want to come up with another short cut between Woodland Park and Pueblo, let me know! I'll ride with ya...

and the best part is...
NO PERFORMANCE AWARDS ALONG THE WAY :bananna: :yay: :up:

towneh
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 06:48 PM
congratulations guys!!!! glad to hear that it went smmooooooooth and no special recognition! gotta get my aux lights mounted and a detector before i go for my next adventure. :lol: ;) :D
cheers,
henry

GSL
Sun Mar 21st, 2004, 07:29 PM
Yep, yep you are an EXCELLENT riding partner! Thanks man! You picked a great route and it was much easier riding with someone the whole way.

Can't wait for the next one.... Border to Border? Scobey, MT, to El Paso, TX?

:D

CJ Rider
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:10 AM
Hey- Congrads to you both! I really enjoyed being able to log into the internet and check yer progress from time to time using that tracking map, so thanks for letting me do that!

Hoopty
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:56 AM
Might as well make it Montreal to San Diego, GSL. Not that you're ever down that... :lol:

GSL
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM
Might as well make it Montreal to San Diego, GSL. Not that you're ever down that... :lol:

Believe me, I almost didn't make that one. That's the last time I ever go out partying in Montreal with a bunch of young studs, the night before an endurance ride... :guinness: :shock:

Hey OldKneeDragger, what's the cost to get set up with one of those tracking devices? I know Jen really liked it because I'm always real lazy about calling in from the road.

OldKneeDragger
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Here is the data I assembled using Star-Traxx :)
http://www.star-traxx.com/TripReport.asp?TripID=76735405

GSL
Tue Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:10 PM
8) :up:

GSL
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Woohoo! Got my BBG certificate in the mail today! 8)

towneh
Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 09:23 PM
many congrats !!! :up:
henry