PDA

View Full Version : Group ride to Redcliffe, CO

pilot
Tue Aug 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM
Last weekend 1oftheBoyz and I rode up to Vail and took a little detour to Redcliffe, CO. This is a very senic location with lots of great open road and Colorado history. What we discovered, upon riding down from the bridge at CO Hwy 24, was the old mining town (and soon to become ski boomtown) of Redcliffe. As soon as we made it to the bottom of the hill we turned right and there in front of us were 20 bikes parked next to Mango's.

Mango's is a brand new three story bar. They were preparing for their GRAND OPENING on Saturday, August 5th, 2006. Yep, that's right, this upcoming Saturday! The bar is stylized in the era of the mining town days and yet is completely modern inside (unlike the rest of the town). You really get the feel of Colorado's mining history in this place.

Mango's has a full service bar on every level and a large outdoor deck on top. They will be hosting a band for their grand opening Saturday. They have excellent food, lots of parking both on street and in their lot. Inside, you can find a pool table, fooseball, video and pinball games on the second floor. Comfortable accomodations abound!

So, here is the "inside-skinny". Soon, very soon, the public debate over development of Colorado's newest ski area will begin: Battle Mountain. This will make a total change to the area and now you can still have the chance to see it before it all changes.

We ate, drank, listened to the band and met the locals--all were great! We even met one of Colorado's who has his studio nearby. Stanton Morris' work can be seen in many famous galleries in Colorado and throughout the world. He even invited us to stop by during Mango's grand opening.

Who's in for a great ride up to Redcliffe? More to follow.

Pilot

sfarson
Tue Aug 1st, 2006, 11:55 PM
I would be in but this Saturday is the annual BMW 100K ride... 300 riders, ten mountain passes, 470 miles. Always great fun.

Not only is Redcliffe a great destination, but Tennessee Pass and Battle Mountain in the area offer fantastic riding.

Guess now could be a good time to buy some Redcliffe real estate.

McVaaahhh
Wed Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:03 AM
What time? How long of a ride would that be?

pilot
Wed Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Have a great time on your BMW Iron Butt ride! Someday, I'll do that with my Kaw. You're so right, the roads area really good for riding up there.

There are several routes to and from the area. If one were to take the ride in via I-70 it would only take around 2 hours to get there. If coming from the south via 285 it would take about 3 hours. Either way you look at it, it is a nice morning ride.

A group of CSC riders did Independence Pass last week and made a day of it. And that took them as far over as Aspen/Glennwood Springs.

Some of us are seriously considering spending Sat night and riding back "fresh" on Sunday.

Pilot

summit snowman
Wed Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
im interested.what time and meeting spot?you can also take 1-70 to highway 91 to leadville,then a right on 24 to redciffe.

denverbusa
Thu Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Hummmm... Three story bar, grand opening, biker friendly, over night might be a good idea.

Sounds like a great ride but I have too many commitments this weekend.

Damn, next time for me.

Player 2
Thu Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hmm... I might be interested in this.

Overnight huh? Camping?

pilot
Thu Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
I posted (General Discusion) up for a FAC social at my place to talk more about the ride.

Pilot

Player 2
Thu Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Nevermind... found it

I'm assuming the details are the same as the last FAC?

pilot
Sat Aug 5th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Final Update:

Depart from Conoco at c470 and Morrison at 10am.

Pilot