PDA

View Full Version : Oil level sight glass

Solinary
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:23 AM
Heya,
I was checking over the bike today and I noticed something that concerned me. The sight glass on my bike has what looks like white residue on the inside of it, almost like burnt oil. The oil level is okay and the oil itself does not look bad. I have noticed in teh last couple of days though a slight burn smell here and there.

I guess my question is, does anyone know what that is? If so, is there something that I can do to correct this or will it need professional help?

Dysco
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:45 AM
White foamy or white dry/powder stuff?

What bike?

KooLaid
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:14 AM
ewww, white foam sucks, I did that to my last truck...... 2wd ford rangers CAN NOT, I repeat, CAN NOT forge water greater than headlights.

Bryce
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:10 AM
it's probably some condensation built up in the crankcase not to big of a deal just go get it really hot and more than likely it will evaporate as long as the oil isn't milky looking you should be ok

Dysco
Tue Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
it's probably some condensation built up in the crankcase not to big of a deal just go get it really hot and more than likely it will evaporate as long as the oil isn't milky looking you should be ok

That's what I was gonna say if it's just white foam on top of the (normal colored) oil- basically when it's cold you can get a little condensation inside your engine (anywhere there's an air pocket) and when you run your engine it whips it up into an emulsion... mayonaise. I get it all the time on my bike- the foam stick to the coldest point- the top of my oil filler cap. No need to change you oil or anything- just deal.

Solinary
Wed Feb 4th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I looks like a foamy powder (makes no sense, I know ;) ). It is not on the top of the oil though. If I put the bike on the sidestand so that the oil is not visible, the white stuff is still on the sight glass and does not move at all.

No one said that it is going to blow up, so I am satisfied. Thanks again. :)

Dysco
Wed Feb 4th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Sight glass= coldest point.