PDA

View Full Version : Scotts triple clamp/"damper" setup

KooLaid
Wed Feb 4th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Has anyone ever tried out the F4i Scotts triple clamp/steering dampener set up? Does it really help stiffen up the forks on the bike? Mine is a wet noodle when you hold the wheel between ur legs and pull on the clip ons left to right, so I've been considering a Vortex triple clamp, but for $100 more than the price of the scotts dampener, I can add a scotts triple clamp built to mount the dampener.

http://www.scottsonline.com/indexmain.html

"This photo shows the Scotts billet triple clamp that includes an integral mount for the stabilizer. The triple clamp has 3 degrees of adjustable rotation on the bars and up to 11mm of verticle adjustment to improve the steering on the F4 and F4i dramatically."
http://www.scottsonline.com/photos2/348.jpg
http://www.scottsonline.com/photos2/136.jpg

BlueDevil
Thu Feb 5th, 2004, 06:22 AM
The DAMPER :idea: will not do anything for your noodle forks. Just reduce or eliminate headshake. :D

Id never give mine up.......

Bryce
Thu Feb 5th, 2004, 08:10 AM
personally I would go with the gpr damper and the clamp will more than likely have very little effect seeing as the point of leverage is minimal seems unlikely to me that what you feel is actually fork flex but then again I have been wrong before and will be again

KooLaid
Thu Feb 5th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Well the noodly part I was talking about, I wanted to fix with the new triple clamp. As for the dampener, I wanted to raise the tubes in the clamps a few millimeters, and since I've had some pretty violent slappers at some pretty high speeds before stock, I wanted to get a dampener for quite a while now.

irdave
Sun Feb 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Dude.
What you NEED to do is get a triple clamp/front shock assembly off of a bike that has upside down forks... A 954 or RC 51 fork assembly should work, being from honda and all. The upside down fork legs are stiffer than the conventional ones, due to a larger diameter tube at the lower triple clamp, which is where most of the fork flex occurs.

You would probably also need the brakes/front wheel... Just to simplify stuff.

Maybe you could ring up Ducati Corsa... I hear that they went from 50 mm inner fork tubes down to 42 on the new Desmosedici- so they probably have a couple of sets laying around. Maybe you could get them to fab up a triple clamp for you, too. That should make the front end feel a little stiffer...

KooLaid
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 12:59 AM
The ducati idea is probably WAY too much bucks for me. But I thought about the inverted forks idea. The difference in weight between the 1000 honda and 600 is pretty much nil, the BIG difference is rider weight. Now I wonder if it'll really work. I don't hear ANYONE putting the inverts on the F4i, even on cbrworld. But a curious idea, just too much of a cash risk for an "experiment" to see if it'll work on my part. Guess I'll do my measuring and research.

irdave
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 07:28 AM
It'd work. They do it all the time with SV650s, using Gixxer 750 front ends.

Big-J
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Hey KooLaid, it's DAMPER BTW! ;)

Ripper
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Racers do front end swaps all the time,

NineTwoFour
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Yea, a very popular mod for the R6 is to swap the front end for R1 parts.

KooLaid
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 11:08 AM
ahhhh sheitza! BIG-J turning GRAMMER COP all on me now............... :321: :lol: :D

KooLaid
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Yeah, but you guys are talking suZukini's, Yammy's, Honduhs are Honduhs. Honduhs are different from the others.
It's like eggs, they're all eggs out of a feather critter, but there's different sorts of feather egg laying critters.

Big-J
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 11:21 AM
ahhhh sheitza! BIG-J turning GRAMMER COP all on me now............... :321: :lol: :D

Nope, Im not the best speller myself, but I thought I would drop you another hint so someone else doesnt go off talking smack to you!! ;) :D

Anonymous
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 12:14 PM
You might try swapping the whole front end, check around to see if that works. On the superhawk you can bolt on a 900RR front end and get the benefits of that technology (i.e. from the triclamps down), perhaps you can do something similar here?

KooLaid
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM
I'm actually hunting down the parts now as we speak. But before I drop actual cash and take that stuff home, I need to do some measuring. The BIG issues with the F4i, the height of the clip ons when it's at full left or right turn, if the invert clip ons are too low, the bike can't turn. Stock, the F4i has just enough room for your fingers. Ooooh nm, too many issues to be addressed and too many to list here. I'll do my homework. If it'll work, it'll be BAD, one of the ONLY f4's with invert.

Ripper
Mon Feb 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM
"Triple clamps will be reinforced, but the F5 will not get inverted forks. World Supersport race teams have tested the F4i with inverted forks and found them to be too stiff. "

Click for more (http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=3970)