PDA

View Full Version : How much oil does my bike take?

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I changed my oil for the 1st time on my 03 xz6r (636). No this isn't the first time i've changed my oil...just since i've had this bike. On my gixxer600 it would take just shy of 4 qts. I put in 4 quarts last night and i'm not seeing any oil in the window? Since when does such a small bike take more than 4 qts?

BTW- I am giving the Mobile 1 15w-50 a try so we'll see.

~Barn~
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I would say add another 4 quarts, and you should see something in the sightglass. Any excess will simply burn-off, so you'll be good.

rforsythe
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I would say add another 4 quarts, and you should see something in the sightglass. Any excess will simply burn-off, so you'll be good.

:wtf:

Anyway, just google for it. I'm sure it's out there someplace. If nothing else the owner's manual will say for sure.

It isn't stamped on the side cover somewhere is it? Suzuki's do that, maybe yours will too.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Hey Dr.

Go here:

http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/item/predownload/486/1/free-racing-videos/kawasaki-zx6rr-2003-2004-shop-book.html

Now, right click on the "Click Here To Play Video" link in the middle of the page. Click on "Save Target As..." The downloading should begin.

It's not actually a link to a video, but the service manual in .pdf format. It's rather large (148 MB) but if you want it and have a high speed connection, it's there for ya.

Hope that helps.

BTW, from what I read in the manual, it's 4.2 US qt.

Canuck
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM
1 Gallon.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks...when i bought the bike, it didn't come with a manual. So this is huge...Thanks Snail!

Canuck
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I still have the shop manual that I told you I would give you.
BTW, 4 quarts equal 1 gallon.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 02:27 PM
well i put in 4 qts and i'm still not seeing any oil in the glass. i'll add the .2 qt

Gramps
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 02:28 PM
do you have it on a stand?

rybo
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM
When you are looking at the sightglass is the bike on it's sidestand or held upright (as if you were riding it)?

Canuck
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 04:57 PM
:imwithstupid:

The GECCO
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 09:38 PM
**Thread Hijack**

This reminds me....back in about 97 or so I was riding around and saw a Gixxer in the parking lot of the local Good Times - SMOKING UP A STORM. I pull in and ask the rider (CSU football player) whats up. He says he doesn't know, he was just riding around and the bike started running rough and smoking. It's sitting there idling still, with an unimaginable amount of smoke pouring from the exhaust. I asked him if he had done any work on the bike recently.....

Him - "It was a little low on oil this morning, so I added some"

Me - "How much did you add?"

Him - "Four quarts"

It was only a matter of time before the crankcase pressure pushed the excess oil through the crankcase vent tube up into the airbox, turning it into what I'm pretty sure is the first Diesel Gixxer....

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Thu Aug 17th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Haha...a little low on oil? Adding 4 qts. might be fitting for something like this:

http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/22900374610.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3221257)

What was that kid thinking?

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Aug 18th, 2006, 12:40 PM
everything is good. i looked in the manual. 4.2 qt. add the .2 and everything is good! Thanks everyone for your help.