PDA

View Full Version : Tires

Mister Z
Mon Aug 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM
Trying to find out some good tires to buy for a SV650. I mainly ride on the streets sometimes go up to the moutains. Something that would last me a bit longer. Thank you for your help and any suggestions you have! :up:

Fly boy
Mon Aug 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Pirelli Diablo's!!! I love mine. About 6k miles on them, and I might need to replace the rear next april. Took them to the track, and they did pretty well.

Mel
Mon Aug 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Lots of people swear by the Michelin Pilots, and I had a set of the Dunlop 218's put on my gix last summer and have loved them on both street and track (and they are fairly inexpensive).

towneh
Mon Aug 21st, 2006, 10:34 AM
greetings mr. Z,
It is hard to find a tire that will do all things.... tacky on the track usually means a short life under heavy or non-stop use. I get at least 10k out of Metzler Z6 tires under really harsh conditions. It takes a while but the rubber will start to ball-up (conditions: 24hr ride, fully loaded, at 98 degrees F). and yes, the bus(a) likes to eat tires.....
--2yrs, 10 months yields 43k miles--
haya henry

99GSXR750
Mon Aug 21st, 2006, 06:44 PM
I have metzler m1's on my gsxr 750. I just ride street, mostly commuting, and get about 10k or more out of them. I think I paid 125 for the rear, about 90-100 for the front.

Lee
Tue Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
I don't know if you have a favorite brand. I think most Sport Touring tires from most manufacturers will offer you a reasonable trade-off between traction and higher mileage.

I've used the following Sport Touring tires and ridden them about 6,000 miles before the rear tire was worn enough to replace:
> Bridgestone BT-020
> Metzler MEZ4
> Metzler Roadtec Z6

All were satisfactory as a sport touring tire. None were as sticky as a sport bike tire. All lasted for twice as many miles as a sport bike tire.

For my next set of sport touring tires, I intend to try a set of Michelin Pilot Road tires. They have an excellent reputation.

Hope that helps,

Lee

Nick_Ninja
Tue Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Avon has a deal now on their Viper tyre. Buy the rear tyre and get the front FREE! If you haven't tried Avon tyres then you are missing out on one of the best tyres made :D. Last i checked i could get the set of tyres for $135

Mister Z
Tue Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Avon has a deal now on their Viper tyre. Buy the rear tyre and get the front FREE! If you haven't tried Avon tyres then you are missing out on one of the best tyres made :D. Last i checked i could get the set of tyres for $135
Is there a location around denver that sells these? Do you know if they make a size for an SV650?

Nick_Ninja
Tue Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
TFOG can order you up a rear. They are located in Golden. I think there is a link somewhere on this site to them too.