PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about 24 volt systems

Frauenheld
Fri Feb 13th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, this is a guy goen the hall from me, wants a 2nd battery:

Im looking t add a secod "booster" battery to my gixer...wondering what sort of hll this might have n the electrical system, especially the starter...it wouldnt be on for long...just a blip of time to help start in cold weater....thanks fr letting me know whatever you know...[/quote]

swademaster
Fri Feb 13th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Why would you need a 2nd battery? Where would he put it? If the 1st battery holds a good charge and he uses the choke there would be no use for it. My TL started right up at 9:00 tonight, about 35 degrees, and no choke.

irdave
Fri Feb 13th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Tell him to just get a 1. Tune up, and B. a Battery Tender http://apriliaforum.safeshopper.com/59/362.htm?287 .

Twenty four volt system... He'd have to change EVERYTHING. And the crap weighs a ton.

Frauenheld
Sat Feb 14th, 2004, 12:15 AM
I thought it was a bit of a rediculous Idea. Don't know the year f his gixxer, but starting should be no prob. Any idea for selecting certain circuit to cut out of te starter relay to make a smaller load for it, and then add tehm individually?

haywood jablome
Sat Feb 14th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Or you could get a power commander with an ignition advance and change your settings that way, see if that helps.

irdave
Sat Feb 14th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Or, maybe the guy just needs a new battery... Or maybe his alternator/charging system is shot...

Otherwise, I would say find a way to switch off the lights while trying to start it. That's really the only load running on the charging system that's not required to actually make the bike run.

irdave
Sat Feb 14th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Could also be that it has the wrong battery in it. Perhaps what's in there is too small to start the bike.

Bueller
Sat Feb 14th, 2004, 10:39 AM
If there is room for a second battery you would want to hook it up parallel anyway, this would keep your voltage at 12 and double capacity. If you series the batteries (24v) you will smoke the electrical system!