PDA

View Full Version : ONE OF THE MOST VISITED TOPICS....TIRES

Duc'nnit
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Ok folks, it is that time of year again for new shoes on the ol Viffer of 13,000 on the meter. Actually I am dissappointed, my Dunlop 220's only lasted barely 4000 miles. The Battleax 020's lasted me almost 8000!! :shock:
Anyways, I am not looking for a major fuss. However, Metzeler recommends the Sportec M-1, Dunlop the D-208's, and Michelin says the Macadam 100X is fit for my bike. Anyone with experience on these brands or tires? Because the Battleax 020's were awesome for what I like to ride.
I am looking for a tire of longevity yet can run up in the buck forty range on a whim. Muchas Gracias..... :) or in Weezyana, "yall cumm back now, ya hea!!!" :D

Chris

KooLaid
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Give the pirelli diablo a try. Cheap at about $120 a set, since the buy a rear, get a front free promo is still on. Just a wee bit softer tire, but a GREAT deal for what it is. Another great one for mileage is the Michelin Pilot Sport. But the sport touring version, Pilot Road is supposed to be great for mileage and traction too. Michelins just tend to cost about 10% to 15% more than other brands.

M1 is GREAT, but soft and longevity isn't in it's blood. It's a performance tire. And if you're still interested, go for the Diablo because it's almost an identical tire except the siping is different. And that pirelli promo is hard to beat.

BenDover
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 06:55 PM
:imwithstupid:

Duc'nnit
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I didnt even think about Pirelli......Thanks, I will look them up. :)

Chris

RF900guy
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 08:07 PM
I am a member of a Yahoo Suzuki RF Club. Several weeks ago the very same subject came up believe it or not. Anyway, here is the advise they suggested. There is a wide range of tires here so I guess you can take it for what it is worth. The quotes start below.

i have a set of the maxxis supermaxx on my 02 gsxr1000 and they have been one of the best overall tires i have used. here are my tire ratings on a scale of 1-10 1 being lowest 10 highest.
maxxis
wet grip - 9
tread life - 9
cornering grip - 8
smooth ride - 10
the tire has wide grooves for rain
deep tread for longevity
over all 9 great everyday tire. you can do just about anything on this tire

d208
wet grip - 8
tread life - 7
cornering grip - 9
smooth ride - 8
good at high speeds
wears fast on highways
over all 8 great every day ridge running and track day practice. not a highway tire

diablo
wet grip - 9
tread life -8
cornering grip - 9
smooth ride - 9
great for wet roads
not good for sport touring
heats up fast and holds the heat
8.75 great all around tire makes running the twisties a blast right from the start. track day practice

bt010
wet grip - 8
tread life - 8
cornering grip - 9
smooth ride - 9
about the same as the d208 but a little longer life
8.5 about the same as the 208

bt020
wet grip - 9
tread life - 9
cornering grip - 8
smooth ride - 9
8.75 sport tourer with a big bite

d205
wet grip - 8
tread life - 9
cornering grip - 7 (needs to heat up and it takes a while to do so)
smooth ride - 9
great for long highway rides not real good for aggressive riding
8.25 sport tourer and good for hot day in the twisties

mez1
wet grip - 9
tread life - 7
cornering grip -10
smooth ride - 9
really good tire for aggressive riding
not a touring tire
$$$ you pay for metzler
8.75 awesome in the twisties with a real big bite. track day heaven

mez4
wet grip - 9
tread life - 9
cornering grip - 9
smooth ride - 9
good all around tire
$$$ you pay for metzlers
9 great all around tire does everything well

pilot
wet grip - 9
tread life - 8
cornering grip - 9
smooth ride - 9
about the same as the mez4
$$$ you pay for them as well
8.75 close to the bt010 and the d208

KooLaid
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I considered SuperMaxx, but my buddy that owns a shop talked me out of that idea. Instead steered me to the diablo's about a year ago. Just kinda creepy since my knowledge Maxxis made only bicycle tires before. So how do you like em? I'll still consider them after I run my spare set of Diablo Corsa's. The price on the Supermaxx is CHEAP compared to anything else. Like WAY CHEAP, dealer cost is about 20%+ LESS than the other major brands. As for wet grip on diablo, I think it's rather scary. I'm always crossing it up when it's wet, like WAY crossed up, to the lock sometimes. Almost pitching myself off the bike. The fronts stick ok in the wet though.

RF900guy
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Well, the tires on my RF900R are the Dulops 208's. I bought the bike with new tires on it so i don't have any time on anything else. In fact the RF900R is my first bike. I bought it last September and have had a good time with it. I also am a newby (insert jokes and harassment here) but the deal was too much to pass up. Just wanted to give someone some other options.

;)

KooLaid
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 08:32 PM
hmmmm, i just now noticed something. The quote started with the Maxxis comment. That makes sense now. My bad.

Duc'nnit
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM
James, that was awesome info! 8) Thanks for your time, and it does seem to reaffirm that the Battleax 020's are a great tire for Sport Touring.

Chris

Kip
Sun Feb 15th, 2004, 09:03 PM
In Louisiana we say, "Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler", which means "Let The Good Times Roll"......I've heard good things about the Diablo's

towneh
Mon Feb 16th, 2004, 08:38 AM
hello Chris, James, et al,

Chris -- I squeaked 8500 miles outta my Dunlop 220's on the RF900 and I'm hopin' to do nearly the same with the BT020's on the Busa. I have learned that it doesn't take much to chew up the tires on the Busa! :lol:

As of yesterday morning, I've got the original BT056 up front with an Metzler M1 -P on the rear with idea that i'll go thru two rear tires for every front tire.... :idea:

James -- The RF was a very comfortable bike. Sometimes i wish i still had it.... slow on the take-off with the FI guys but you usually catch up with them! Your data would make a nice chart for compairison...

henry

Duc'nnit
Mon Feb 16th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Interesting philosophy Henry! 8) Weird about the D-220's, my VFR weighs in at 500 lbs wet which is mostly up front but the rear is what deteriorated the quickest. For those that do not know me, I dont do burn outs or stunts. :roll:
I did notice that on my long road trips, the center strip of the rear tire would heat up like I was on the track. The BT-020's never did that.

Chris