PDA

View Full Version : Charging System Problem???

99GSXR750
Thu Aug 31st, 2006, 03:28 PM
I rode to work this morning, and the bike was running fine like normal. After work, it is completely dead, no lights or anything. I jumped it and it rode all the way home. The battery is fairly new, maybe 6 months old. Does it sounds like a charging problem, or is it the battery?

Fly boy
Thu Aug 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM
I charded my batt, rode around, and it was dead... brand new bat. My Regulator/rectifier was shot.

hope that helps.... Oh, and my new batt.... lasted over a year perfect still.

99GSXR750
Thu Aug 31st, 2006, 04:56 PM
How much did the reg/recit cost, and how did you know?

Clarkie
Thu Aug 31st, 2006, 05:02 PM
a couple of things you can check on the charging system,

get a multimeter (you can buy them for around $10 at Ace Hardware) and jump start the bike, then read the voltage at the battery at idle, and then at around 4,000rpm, there should be a difference. ideally you want around 13.5-15V at 4,000rpm but each bike may have a different spec.

if you dont get a change try and find the three wires coming from the stator cover, the colors vary but are usually either white or yellow, they will be the same color and a thicker gauge wire. switch the multimeter to resistance (ohms) and check all combinations of the wires, you want no resistance between the wires and if you do get resistance your stator is bad.

if the resistance is ok, also check from the wires to the engine case (or any decent ground), you do NOT want any continuity between the stator and the chassis.

the 3rd thing you can check is the AC voltage but check the others first, if the stator checks out ok it may be the reg/rec but they are hard to bench test.

hope this helps (and makes sense :) )

99GSXR750
Thu Aug 31st, 2006, 05:10 PM
Sounds like i can check it. I'll try it tomorrow after work. Thanks.

99GSXR750
Thu Aug 31st, 2006, 06:55 PM
Could it just be a bad connection at the terminals? I cleaned the terminals before I got the jump and it still has power after 4 hours, or could that just be because it was charged while i was riding?

Clarkie
Thu Aug 31st, 2006, 07:17 PM
yeah could be, chasing electrical problem kinda suck :( i would also just check the terminals on the batter are tight

Fly boy
Thu Aug 31st, 2006, 09:28 PM
I took mine to a shop, because I didn't really know anyone that could help. $55 bucks later and he said it was the voltage Reg/Rec. Jumped on Ebay and got me one for 80 bucks