PDA

View Full Version : Another tire question...

Quick636
Fri Feb 20th, 2004, 07:18 PM
I am now in the market for new tires, and I want good ones. Not sure if I really want the diablos...

I am debating on the Diablo Corsas, The battlax bt012ss, or the dunlop 208zrs. Opinions? These tires are for street riding, SPIRITED twisty riding, and maybe an occasional track day.

I want something sticky...

KooLaid
Fri Feb 20th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Try out the diablo's for now because of the free front tire deal. You can always try out the other tires LATER because they don't have promos like pirelli does. Usually.

NZ Darren
Fri Feb 20th, 2004, 08:20 PM
The promo is not for Diablo Corsas though.

KooLaid
Fri Feb 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Street riders won't notice a big difference. And out of all the tires he mentions, the corsa is a SMOKIN' TIRE outta the three. But regular diablo is in the same class as the ones he mentions. Diablo Corsa is a Rennsport/pilot race equvilant. Diablo is the M1/208 equivilent. The 208 felt greasy to me for some reason.

NZ Darren
Fri Feb 20th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Not sure how good a choice the Diablo Corsas would be as a street tire. They are made for the track. There is a difference - heat cycles, mileage, wet weather tracton etc......
Might get better use out of the regular Diablo's and you get a free front tire :D

KooLaid
Fri Feb 20th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Actually the Diablo Corsa and Rennsport make an exellent street tire too. They heat up pretty fast. They were made for the occasional and semi often track day rider.

Hoopty
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
Have you ever thought about using take off's? You can get them cheap, they are sticky as sh!t, and there's tons of tread left in the middle! :) You can usually find a pair of take off's for $75 or less. :idea:

Quick636
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:16 PM
I have, but I do enough riding up in the twisties that I want that outer tread.

KooLaid
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Have you ever thought about using take off's? You can get them cheap, they are sticky as sh!t, and there's tons of tread left in the middle! :) You can usually find a pair of take off's for $75 or less. :idea:

Those are a bit creepy to run in the twisties but great for burning out, town putting, and stunting. The whole track riding generated heat just scares me, espcially since some guys chew the hell outta the sides.

Hoopty
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:29 PM

Well I don't imagine you're gonna find a set of them without any tread left on the sides! :P I used them on the SV before I started racing and LOVED them. I never wore out the sides before the centers went either. Best tire by far I'd ever had on the track, even though the guy that raced with them shredded them!

Koolaid- you'll NEVER get them hot enough on the street to cause a problem, race tires are meant to stick at temperatures that street tires will shred... I wouldn't worry about it. :)

KooLaid
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:51 PM

Well I don't imagine you're gonna find a set of them without any tread left on the sides! :P I used them on the SV before I started racing and LOVED them. I never wore out the sides before the centers went either. Best tire by far I'd ever had on the track, even though the guy that raced with them shredded them!

Koolaid- you'll NEVER get them hot enough on the street to cause a problem, race tires are meant to stick at temperatures that street tires will shred... I wouldn't worry about it. :)

That's the problem you'll never heat them up enough on the street. They'll never be 100%. And after they cool a while after being thrashed on the track, they, to the touch, feel almost like pastic sometimes.

Hoopty
Fri Feb 27th, 2004, 12:00 PM
That's the problem you'll never heat them up enough on the street. They'll never be 100%. And after they cool a while after being thrashed on the track, they, to the touch, feel almost like pastic sometimes.

Heat them enough for what? They will stick better than street tires once warmed up (doesn't have to be at tire shredding temps)... :? True, they do get hard to the touch once cooled down, but as soon as you warm them back up they are sticky again. :twisted:

KooLaid
Fri Feb 27th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Heat them enough for what? They will stick better than street tires once warmed up (doesn't have to be at tire shredding temps)... :? True, they do get hard to the touch once cooled down, but as soon as you warm them back up they are sticky again. :twisted:

From what I've read on the race tires, they're designed for a higher temp. Temps that very few riders could ever generate riding on the streets. I'm sure you know the value of tire temp.

Hoopty
Fri Feb 27th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Yes, they are designed to offer more grip at extreme temperatures, but it doesn't mean that they won't still be sticky at less than max temp... I rode my set around all last winter with no problems, except that they are slicker than street tires when you first get on. Once you warm them up a little they stick fine.