PDA

View Full Version : Oil

havespacesuit
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Anyone know where I can get motorcycle oil at 7pm on a saturday?

Bueller
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
I use automotive synth, always have, always will.

havespacesuit
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
I'd heard that auto oil has an additive that causes problems on bike clutches. Pardon my ignorance, I'm relatively new to riding, and even newer to this whole doing my own bike maintenance.

Adam

Bueller
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
IMAO thats what they want you to belive. In over 30 years of riding all kinds of bikes, I have never had a clutch slip due to oil.

havespacesuit
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Cool, thanks!

~Barn~
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah... listen to Bueller. Go grab yourself some gold-capped 15w-50 Mobil 1. Any store that sells oil will have it. Your bike will thank you, and you'll help stop the spread of needing "motorcycle specific oil".
:up:

Mel
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Auto oil is fine, just don't get any of the long life ones because they have additives in them which are detrimental to bikes.

CuzManJ
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Wal-Mart carry's some motorcycle oils ...................

BHeth
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah... listen to Bueller. Go grab yourself some gold-capped 15w-50 Mobil 1. Any store that sells oil will have it. Your bike will thank you, and you'll help stop the spread of needing "motorcycle specific oil".
:up:

Do you recommend this oil year round? I've been switching between a winter weight and summer weight, but would like the convenience of one oil.

~Barn~
Sat Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
I used it year round, yes. But then again, I was somewhat of a minimalist when it came to maintenance, anyway. That fact that I even did 3k changes on Britney was pretty astounding to me. :lol:

Anyway… I’m sure you’d be good to go for all 12 with this oil. I never suffered any ill effects. Maybe some of the real petroleum gurus might have some deeper insight for ya.