PDA

View Full Version : New Ride Oil Leak?

tm06r1
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Should I be concerned????

I have an 06 R1

It has 2400 mi now. I had the oil changed at the dealer at 500 mi & 1400 mi.

I noticed that there appears to be a little blow by past the oil plug. The amount wasn't concerning. Very slight, maybe 2x3 underneath the oil pan. Not thick. No spotting. The oil plug is tight. Should I be concerned? Is this normal for a new bike. Again, the amount is slight. If I saw it on someone else's bike, I wouldn't think twice. However, if it is uncommon, I want to get it in the shop. Thanks in advance!

MattTLS
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
First thing, look at the sight glass or check the dipstick (sorry, but don't know which the new Yahahas use) for the oil level to make sure it's not overfilled. It it is overfull, suction a little of the oil out, and then ride it some and check for drips again.

Matthew

tm06r1
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:19 PM
Will do. If overfilled, it normally reseals?

BHeth
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
Where exactly is it leaking from?

tm06r1
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
not real sure. It is on the underpan. Looks like right past the plug. I checked the oil. It looks a little overfilled. How can a dealership do that? Isn't it their job, otherwise I could screw it up meyself and save $50.

BHeth
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
The last oil change was a thousand miles ago and it just started leaking? I just want to make sure I have this right.

MattTLS
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Okay, thought you meant the oil seemed to be coming from the area around the fill plug. If it's from the bottom side of the engine, you'll probably have to look a little closer to hopefully see where it's coming from. Maybe the crush washer on the drain plug wasn't replaced? ... or drain plug was'nt properly torqued?

tm06r1
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, 1,000 mi ago. I am going to pull off the fairing to see where it is coming from. Again, it is very slight, but noticeable...Thanks for your help!

Clarkie
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
sometimes dealerships dont change out the crush washer that is on the drain plug and they will tend to weep a little fluid over time, like you said not enough to lose oil but just enough to be noticeable, it could be that.

BHeth
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
If it's hard to tell where it's coming from after you have the fairing off, a good old trick is to wipe everything clean and spray some chalky white deoderant around the area. Arrid spray deo works a treat. Go for a ride and afterwards you'll be able to pinpoint it. Good luck!

tm06r1
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
Clarkie....When you say over time, would this be consistant with 2400mi?

BHeth, Thanks...Good info. to have....

Clarkie
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
it would depend on the condition of the crush washer 'if' it was reused, i would get a wrench.socket (should be a 17mm) and see how tight the drain bolt is, you dont want to overtighten it but i would just check it and then clean the area and then ride it like suggested

10bomb
Sun Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Did you check the oil while the bike was on the side stand or a rear stand? If so it will give you a false reading. Have the bike standing straight upand with a warm engine to get a better reading

not real sure. It is on the underpan. Looks like right past the plug. I checked the oil. It looks a little overfilled. How can a dealership do that? Isn't it their job, otherwise I could screw it up meyself and save $50.