PDA

View Full Version : what do you carry in your tank bag?

MORSE
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 10:57 AM
what items do you carry in your tank bag when you are taking a day trip.

rforsythe
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Cell phone, house keys, bottle of water, baseball hat. Map of where I'm going if necessary (though my tank bag has the clear pocket on top for that one). Latex gloves for "just in case" (i.e. coming up on a wreck, being involved in one). Sometimes my wallet ends up in there since I don't keep that in my back pocket when riding, but usually I try to keep that on me physically in case I get separated from the bike somehow.

For a day trip that's about it, only going that long you won't be too far away unless you're doing an IBA run.

towneh
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
papers: health ins card, bike insurance card, roadside service card (bike reg is embedded on the bike)

tools et al: tire plug kit, wet willy kit, 3 sizes of finger-wipers, 4 sheets of shop towels, tire gauge, CO2 inflation kit, 2 shop cloth rags, leatherman, multi-hex tool, chain brush, 50cc of 10w-50 oil

accessories: clear and tint eyeware, hat, do-rag, notepad, pen, earplugs, chapstik, light gloves, neck gater, 8 pak of AA batts, small gps, gum, sun screen, camera, 4’x8’ tarp, duct tape, an led light, chemlite stick, ibu2, some anti-acids, 1 litre of water, and an energybar of sorts.

that's off the top of my head; i know that there is more if i looked...:crazy:
haya henry

btw.... i was writing as Ralphy put his in. i zip my phone, spare battery, house keys, wallet, and a gerber lock-blade in my coat pocket for quick access and protection from my really strong **Magnetic_mount Tank bag** which has been known to remove data from the credit card mag strip!!! yes, I've been influenced by the iba...

Mac020
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Rain pants, cell phone, Leatherman, and a bottle of water. That's about it.

haywood jablome
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM
My gun

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Rain Gear (two peice)
Extra set of gloves (leather)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation reflective vest
ChainWax
Honda Pro Polish
Jumper Cables
Ear Plugs (copious ammounts)
iPod
Ear phones
Master link (chain)
Syrenge (to fill the battery not for my heroin stash)
Laytex gloves
Rags
Batteries (AA & AAA)
Petzl Headlampand lots of other stuff

rybo
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Wallet with ID and health insurance card
some kind of extra layer depending on expected weather
leatherman
flashlight
earplugs,
water bottle
VERY basic first aid kit (gloves, bandaging material, compress material) small bottle of window cleaner and a clean rag for cleaing the visor
cell phone

Feathered upstart!
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I dont have a tank bag anymore:alien:

King Nothing
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I have a tank bag now :alien:

Mel
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I don't even have a tank bag :cry:

Kendo
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I carry my Tampo-ear-plugs..... advil, glove liners, leatherman, first aid kit, tire pressure gauge, water, whatever else that I can fit into it..... :)

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I carry my Tampo-ear-plugs..... advil, glove liners, leatherman, first aid kit, tire pressure gauge, water, whatever else that I can fit into it..... :)

And believe me, Tampo is not a name brand, but rather descriptive terminology of how these things look.

Nichi...that's some funny stuff.

Sully
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 11:15 AM
:lol:

I don't have a tank bag... but I can pack stuff in my trunk like no other... I bought a pair of those ICON Textile pants and was able to fit them in my trunk, hip pads and all... along with my baseball cap ! :lol:

In my trunk I have that lovely took kit that came with the bike, electrical tape, zip ties, water, baseball cap, tire pressure gauge... I think that's it.. I have velcroed (sp) my toll pass to the tank cuz who has time to dig change out of their pocket ?? ;)

I think the mini first aid kid is a great idea, never know when my bike could need a band-aid :D...

pilot
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 12:23 PM
tissue
medical tape
toilet paper
thermometer
lighter
notepad
adhesive labels
Micro map USA
2 washcloths
wallet with the usuals
eye drops
Ibuprophen
vitamins
liquid bandage
mouthwash
antacids
lip balm
Leatherman with multi tools
weather radio
electrical tape
tire gauge
strike anywhere matches
GPS
laser pointer
wind up flashlight
penlight
2 whistles
pocket knife
lanyard to hang stuff around my kneck (if needed)
deck of playing cards
MINI DV camcorder
DV camera
mini tripod for camera
35 mm all weather camera
2 cable locks for securing gear
hydrochortizon
ear ache drops
temp dental repair kit
band aids
latex gloves
spare contact lenses
alka selzer
Neosporin
spare ear plugs
business cards
2 sets rain gear
tool kit (sockets both MM and standard) type you can buy at Home Depot/Lowes in a zip up case
CO Map-big with all roads
emergency contact info
cell phone
2-3 bottles of water
spay bottle and micro fiber cloth for visor
sometimes spare visors
cold weather gear: gloves, long underwear, hoody, glove liners
spare fuses
c-470 pass
Kawasaki tool kit
a few bungee chords
a book or magazine or two
MC cover (can double as a tent)
No wonder it takes me so long to go on a ride... but a lot of this stuff comes in handy. I figure since I got the storage space, I might as well put it to use.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Pilot-

What kind of tank bag is it? Who makes it?

Devaclis
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Pilot-

What kind of tank bag is it? Who makes it?

U-Haul

Sully
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM
No.. I think it's United Van Lines...... ok.. maybe Samsonite :lol:..

Kendo
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Arent they the same thing...... :shocked:

pilot
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
1-45 and a few of the others fit in my tank bag. I also have Givi saddle bags for the bigger stuff: bar, kitchen sink, blow up doll (for the HOV lanes). the bag is made by Teknic and has a zip on top attachment that doubles its size. But I only use the doubler when I travel overnight or on longer trips. My bike is big, so I can get away with carrying lots of stuff. Somehow, I manage to keep up with most of the riders out there. But it's kind of like driving a city bus through the twisties, ha.

Butterfly
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM
-Extra ear plugs
-Hair pin
-Tampons (You never know when you'll need one :lol: )
-wallet
-Extra battery for MP3 player
-More hair stuff
That's it.

Sparker
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I can vouge for Debs hair "crap", i had to shake the tank bag i borrowed upside down just to make room for my stuff in it! You could safety wire a bike with the bobby pins she had in there!

That reminds me, I still have that tank bag! whoops.

Bassil Duwaik
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM
To be honest, if you want to make the most use of your limited space just find a girl with a purse and ask her what/how she puts stuff in there. I woulnd't be suprised if you find everything from band-aids to horse shoes in their purses.

Joe
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM
In my backpack: (because I can throw it in my truck as well)
I have ALMOST everything that Pilot carries.

However, No one mentioned:
A MSR fuel bottle, full obviously (has helped 2 bikes and 1 car so far)
5' of clear tubing for a gas siphon
Spark Plug (I'm a thumper, 1 will do!)
Headlight /Taillight bulbs
Thermometer (so you can brag how cold it was)
Handcuff key (you never know)

DevilsTonic
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Everything that I used to have in my purse is now in my tank bag. I don't carry a purse any more just the tank bag, whether I'm riding or not. It's too much of a pain for me to transfer all of my junk from one to the other when I want to go ride.

Mel
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 12:39 PM
OH OH OH!!! I just bought a tank bag today! So far, it contains it's extra carrying strap and rain cover :D

BTW, am I cool yet?

kiteserfer
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Wow.....Pilot could do surgery with his bag.
For me.....I carry condoms, KY Jelly, some fish nets, Victoria secret garter belt, high heels, a vibrator,massage oil, :nuke: and some x rated DVDs, oh yeah, and a calulator!!!!!

King Nothing
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Is kiteserfer a new, more retarded version of Anthony?

Bueller
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Is kiteserfer a new, more retarded version of Anthony?

I was thinking it's your alter ego:)

kiteserfer
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 08:15 PM
.....I wish I could be as intelligent as King Cupake?????? waaaaaaaa??? sounds gay to me!!!!!!:blowup:

Scruff Dog
Sat Nov 25th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Why would you junk up your sport bike with a tank bag (or any kink of luggage) on a day trip? I have a couple of co2 cartridges in the tail, do you really need more? This all sounds alot like traveling with a woman.

denverbusa
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Why would you junk up your sport bike with a tank bag (or any kink of luggage) on a day trip? I have a couple of co2 cartridges in the tail, do you really need more? This all sounds alot like traveling with a woman.

Day Trip means you will be gone for at least 6+ hours. Not "Cruzin Lodo", not hangin at the Shell station. You are gone up on some favorite strip of twisty road. Three hours potentially from an ambulance, it's good to have a few med supplies. It's kinda nice to take that break from the road to rest your weary ass on top of a nice hill with a view, have your water and energy bar.

I am going riding for the day not out stylin'. I want a few safety items and a few comfort items. I now even feel even better about being out on the road with fellow CSC riders.

And if one more non-tankbag carrying ass asks me to carry their water for them...:scream1: :guns: :blowup:

Pilot and Henry must have such big ones even Sully couldn't fit all that junk in her trunk. (I couldn't resist that one :) )

towneh
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 11:58 AM
greetings et al,
yes, the pilot and i carry a lotta stuff! "be prepared" is a great motto (but i am concerned about the character of Baden Powell...) Kiteserfer has got a great list for "apres ride" and i think that suzinpink has borrowed some of the hardware (looks great btw). my tankbag, fully assembled holds 45 litres and i have msr bottles and other fuel jerry-cans that i've stowed in my 40 litre givi boxes. it has to be a week-long trip before the busa transforms into the Hayabago!!!!
-claymore inscription; "this side towards the enemy"--
bus henry

Canuck
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I dont have a tank bag anymore:alien:

I remember the time that I opened up your bag, on the old R1, and found 9 knives lying in their :eek:
Big, shiny, fuck off knives :lol:

kiteserfer
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Thank you Towneh.......I love apres....anything!!!!!!!! Actually I keep 2 tank bags...1 for work and 1 for play.:king:

Scruff Dog
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 07:02 PM
[quote=denverbusa]Day Trip means you will be gone for at least 6+ hours. Not "Cruzin Lodo", not hangin at the Shell station. You are gone up on some favorite strip of twisty road. Three hours potentially from an ambulance, it's good to have a few med supplies. It's kinda nice to take that break from the road to rest your weary ass on top of a nice hill with a view, have your water and energy bar.

I am going riding for the day not out stylin'. I want a few safety items and a few comfort items. I now even feel even better about being out on the road with fellow CSC riders.

And if one more non-tankbag carrying ass asks me to carry their water for them...:scream1: :guns: :blowup:

Well I guess it is best to be prepared for all possibilities. Don't forget to put on clean underware before the ride. Wouldn't want to put forth a bad impression to the paramedics on the possible ride home in the ambulance. :)

Mel
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Day Trip means you will be gone for at least 6+ hours. Not "Cruzin Lodo", not hangin at the Shell station. You are gone up on some favorite strip of twisty road. Three hours potentially from an ambulance, it's good to have a few med supplies. It's kinda nice to take that break from the road to rest your weary ass on top of a nice hill with a view, have your water and energy bar.

Pilot and Henry must have such big ones even Sully couldn't fit all that junk in her trunk. (I couldn't resist that one :) )

So, uhhh, will you carry a couple bottle of water for me?

JAFO
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 08:37 PM
44 Mag That will get me anything I need.

Scruff Dog
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 08:38 AM

You make "stylin" sound like a bad thing. I ride these bikes because they go good, they sound good, and yes - they look good. To my eye, nothing screws up the beautiful line of a sport bike more than a tank bag. If you need to carry extra stuff with you, get a small day pack. Color coordinated of course. Just my two cents.

wulf
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
44 Mag That will get me anything I need.

:banghead:

Spiderman
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
You make "stylin" sound like a bad thing. I ride these bikes because they go good, they sound good, and yes - they look good. To my eye, nothing screws up the beautiful line of a sport bike more than a tank bag.Tank bags, or luggage in general, are a neccessary evil sometimes. :|

Color coordinated of course. Would you be willing to decorate my place too? :slappers: :lol:

I have one of the smaller tank bags available (I still own bigger ones, but for most of the time, they're more than I need) - the Nelson-Rigg CL-300 Mini magnetic tank bag (http://www.nelsonrigg.com/products/classic/cl300.htm)

I carry the following in my tank bag (which I almost never ride without now):
- clear visor (for nighttime, cuz I ride with a tinted on 8) )
- garage door opener
- house keys
- disk lock
- spare change
- sunglasses
- mini-road atlas
- kick-stand plate (in case I have to park on soft dirt)
- gum
- napkins
- hand wipes
- surgical gloves (in case I happen upon the scene of an accident and have to administer first aid to a bleeding victim)
- plus a few other misc. items.

This also leaves me room for a bottle of water, my MP3 player which I ride with on occasion, and small items that I may have purchased while out and about on my bike. 8)

BTW, when I'm commuting, I also wear a backpack, which carries my laptop, lunch, etc.

denverbusa
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I found a yellow oxford sports that matches my Duc perrrrfectly. I'm having a custom color matched fanny pack made for when I ride the Busa. Just can't wait for it to come in.:slappers:

denverbusa
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM
So, uhhh, will you carry a couple bottle of water for me?

Uhhh, wellllll, for you, OK. But you're the last one and that's final!

Scruff Dog
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Tank bags, or luggage in general, are a neccessary evil sometimes. :|

Would you be willing to decorate my place too? :slappers: :lol:

etc.

I walked into that one.