PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ride Sunday Sept 10

Slo
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Alright everyone, I know there are a few new people on bikes that have recently joined, and also a few new people in the area. So no matter how "slow" you are or how "new" you are, your welcome to join us.

I don't mean in any way to be a Nazi group leader here, but anyone without minimal gear (helmet, jacket, gloves) will be turned away. (We had a passenger come out without a helmet last Sunday and was almost turned away until we borrowed one from a friend not riding)

We will be meeting in Lafayette (starbucks on 287 & S Boulder Rd @ 0800) first then moving onto Morison Conoco Gas station ( leaving Conoco @ 0915) to meet with the rest of the group. Keep in mind there will be other groups but we will not be joining them, maybe some of you will at a later date, hehehe.....

There will be a few seasoned riders around that if you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are no stupid questions..... just don't ask how to do wheelies or stoppies. Please don't try them either around this group ride either.

This will be more of a mountain cruise with plenty of stops (fair warning). Stops to maintain the group, to relax, and to chit chat about riding techniques, discuss rights and wrongs about bike etiquette (sorry for spelling) and the differences in riding solo to riding in a group.

If there are any other seasoned riders interested in having an easy day, please let me know. There will still be the occasional spirited runs through a "couple" turns here n there, just not an all out quick pace. Post up or email me if interested.

Jay (303) 557-8013

PS - Expect to ride at least 100-150 miles....

I also have found a "spot" to practice your turns (left and right) where the police may come by and just watch. We have gone there in the late Sunday afternoons after our rides to have others practice. Local authorities will stop by every so often but will get bored and leave. State Trooper stopped once and we chit chatted for a bit before he left. We clean up the area before we leave (any trash, drinks etc). I recommend this to anyone who turns and feels like they cannot trust their tires. I will talk to people about this individually on Sunday..... We even have people practice riding two up out there.

pilot
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Mind if I join along? I enjoyed our last ride (although it was a while back) to Nederland. Also, I would like to chat more about the "emergency calling list" you mentioned.

Slo
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Absolutely man!!!! You don't ever have to ask, just show up....haha, kinda like how I did in the past.

Emergency list, yes.... we shall talk about it.

pilot
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I should be there. Till then.

schnorbitz
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Hey Jay,

Hope I can make this one. I have some family flying in from England so it may be doubtful. What are you looking at from Morrison, 2 to 3 hours?

Slo
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Hmmmm, counting all the stops and lunch more like late afternoon by the time we get back. I would say at least until 3pm, however if you can make it out for a limited time, we can adjust accordingly so that your not too far from getting back in town?

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
What did you mean when you said "Keep in mind there will be other groups but we will not be joining them, maybe some of you will at a later date, hehehe....." Does this mean that the other groups are seasoned riders? I'm trying to find a group of seasoned riders to tag along with this weekend. I love riding with experienced people just because when you ride with them you seldom have to look for them while ride, you can almost sense where they are not to say you shouldn't look from time to time though. Just saying that I can ride more confidently around them. The ride that I took with painzer was good to say the least. Outside of the human error of which every rider presents I’d like to take another ride something along the lines of what I had taken with him.

Slo
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM
What did you mean when you said "Keep in mind there will be other groups but we will not be joining them, maybe some of you will at a later date, hehehe....." Does this mean that the other groups are seasoned riders?

We have people coming from different sides of town, so we meet at one spot then head to the other, these happen to be spots where other groups meet as well.

I have 3 friends which have less than 6 months of seat time. These are friends of mine in which I feel should not ride with some of the more "spirited" groups. At least not yet, they are learning pretty quickly but not ready for a quicker pace. Plus we stop pretty often and talk about what was going on during the ride, see if there were any uncomfortable paces, turns, etc. Sometimes someone follows too closely, or stays back too far, whatever the situation is, then we talk about it. All the little ins and outs of riding in a group, staying in someones rear view mirror while being staggered, when to switch lanes so you don't leave everyone else behind in the group.

Once my friends feel confident and experienced enough, they will get out into other groups.....I just don't want them to have any added pressure.

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
well if you happen to know any seasoned riders that are going for a ride please let me know. In the event that I don't find a group I'll tag along with you guys on the condition that I ride behind you all so I can keep my eye on you guys.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM
We have people coming from different sides of town, so we meet at one spot then head to the other, these happen to be spots where other groups meet as well.

I have 3 friends which have less than 6 months of seat time. These are friends of mine in which I feel should not ride with some of the more "spirited" groups. At least not yet, they are learning pretty quickly but not ready for a quicker pace. Plus we stop pretty often and talk about what was going on during the ride, see if there were any uncomfortable paces, turns, etc. Sometimes someone follows too closely, or stays back too far, whatever the situation is, then we talk about it. All the little ins and outs of riding in a group, staying in someones rear view mirror while being staggered, when to switch lanes so you don't leave everyone else behind in the group.

Once my friends feel confident and experienced enough, they will get out into other groups.....I just don't want them to have any added pressure.

You appear to be a very responsible leader. Good job!

pilot
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Yes, Jay is very good and he truly does care for the safety of the group.

Slo
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
well if you happen to know any seasoned riders that are going for a ride please let me know. In the event that I don't find a group I'll tag along with you guys on the condition that I ride behind you all so I can keep my eye on you guys.

There are plenty of groups that leave morison at all different times. Also there is a group that leaves from Lafayette, however I haven't ridden with all the different groups so I can't go inviting people to "their" rides. Best suggestion is to introduce yourself in a thread around an area you want to ride out from, let others know your opinion of a spirited ride and see what kind of a feel you get from them.

I like these newbie rides here n there, it gives others a chance to learn without putting themselves at too much risk or pressure. Everywhere I have moved to, theres always been a group that volunteered to be a tour guide. So here is my chance with my little knowledge of routes to give back to other newbies.

Just an FYI.... bringing up the rear can actually be one of the more dangerous roles of riding in a group and takes much more concentration especially on a newbie ride. Obviously your bringing up the rear so that no one gets left behind from going slow, or worse, going down. Also your keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary; bad technique, bad judgement on a riders part, etc. Anything that puts themself or others on the road at more risk.

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 07:38 PM
It does indeed show. I wish I had started with him when I first begin riding, might have held on to that JXS-R a little longer. Ended up making a left turn late at night and the way the headlights on the bike are you can't see anything untill it's nearly in front of you. Anyways, I ended up hitting a pot-hole, more like a damn trench going about 20 and it caught my front tire and flipped the bike onto the curb breaking the block.

dgoldan
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Jay's correct. There is a smaller group of us up North (Lafayette, Broomfield, Arvada, Louisville, Boulder) that meet up once in a while for a more "spirited" ride, but no 170 mph, tickets or crashing :shock: . Not sure If I can make the 10th, but I'll keep my eye on the 287/South Boulder Starbuck's meeting place to see who's going.

Also there is a group that leaves from Lafayette, however I haven't ridden with all the different groups so I can't go inviting people to "their" rides. Best suggestion is to introduce yourself in a thread around an area you want to ride out from, let others know your opinion of a spirited ride and see what kind of a feel you get from them.

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Just an FYI.... bringing up the rear can actually be one of the more dangerous roles of riding in a group and takes much more concentration especially on a newbie ride. Obviously your bringing up the rear so that no one gets left behind from going slow, or worse, going down. Also your keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary; bad technique, bad judgement on a riders part, etc. Anything that puts themself or others on the road at more risk.[/quote]

kinda thought that that went without saying. Trying to find something with my temperment/exp. But thanks for the heads up. Worse comes to worse I just bought this brand new cattle prod that I mounted on my bike for such events;-p

noskills
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM
This sounds like a good opportunity for a two-up with my wife in a group setting. Not sure how long we will stay with the group since back seats on sports bike are kind of like sitting on a 2X4 covered with sand paper!

Anyone see a problem with a passenger in this group?

Come on good weather!

Slo
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 11:21 AM
This sounds like a good opportunity for a two-up with my wife in a group setting. Not sure how long we will stay with the group since back seats on sports bike are kind of like sitting on a 2X4 covered with sand paper!

Anyone see a problem with a passenger in this group?

Come on good weather!

Not at all, there will be other people riding two-up like myself. My new bike is uncomfortable for me and a passenger also, but with the frequent stops, it's not so bad. As long as we keep turning and staying off straightaways, I don't notice it too much.

TommyGun
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I will try to be their again this time. Last weekend was alot of fun. The slower rides are perfect for 2 up. Thanks, Jay

Slo
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I will try to be their again this time. Last weekend was alot of fun. The slower rides are perfect for 2 up. Thanks, Jay

Great!!!! See you out there.

Slo
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original post edited again at the bottom.

Sumo
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I look forward to joing this ride with all of you on Sunday. As a newbie, are there any specific rules I should be aware of..ie,. gear for example?

Slo
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I look forward to joing this ride with all of you on Sunday. As a newbie, are there any specific rules I should be aware of..ie,. gear for example?

Please try to have at a minimum helmet, gloves, some sort of riding jacket. Some sort of boots preferably over tennis shoes. Just my opinion.

If you don't have a helmet, jacket, gloves, let me know, between me and a few friends, we may be able to have you covered in case your missing something.

As far as rules, we will discuss basic group do's and dont's at Conoco. I don't mean for this to be a "hey this is how your going to ride and everything else is wrong!!!", this is meant for fun and help out other fellow errrrr motorcyclists?

Sumo
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Great! I've got it covered, thanks again!:)

pilot
Sat Sep 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM
It looks like this ride is still on. Weather looks reasonable--but bring rain gear if you got it. I was up by Loveland Pass today and there is some snow on the ground above tree line. Bit nippy too.

I'll be meeting some other riders at 8:45AM at Grand Prix Motorsports. Then we will depart promptly to the Conoco.
There weren't a whole lot of riders at the Conoco this morning (weather?). So, I think that Sunday should show up a fair amount of riders.

SLO1299--I'm looking forward to joining you and the rest of the riders.

Pilot

jollyman78
Sat Sep 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Hey Jay, remember me... guy from Kansas w/ the SV?

I think I am gona join you guys tomorrow.

Also, I have a second L helmet and old gloves I can bring if anyone needs them.
Worse case, I am only about a mile from the Starbucks, and I can run back and grab 'em.

monsterbird
Sat Sep 9th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Hey. I would love to go on this ride, but unfortunately I have to be in class all day tomorrow (GRE prep class:cry:). I work all weekend next weekend, but have the 23rd (Sat) free or the 2nd of October (Sun) free. If you are interested in doing a repeat ride please let me know.

Slo
Sat Sep 9th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, seems like it will be decent weather, gotta take every decent day left in the year......

Great idea on bringing cold/wet weather gear just in case if you have it. I will be loading up a back pack....

pilot
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:06 AM
this looks like it will be a good "conditioning" day for the fall rides.

jollyman78
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM
this looks like it will be a good "conditioning" day for the fall rides.

yea... just walked outside and I can see my breath! LOL

Slo
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Reveille!!!!!! :shocked:

Hehehe, see you all out there.

jollyman78
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM
farkin rain!
Jay, I finally found my way home... I got TOTALLY soaked about 15 min after leaving you guys :(

NEway, great ride, and thanks for the instruction (Raleigh included)!

Ill put up a post about my Wed. fiasco when it gets a lil closer, if I think its gona work out.

Thanks again guys!

1ofTheBoys
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Jay, thanks for organizing this ride. I think this was a great idea for the Newbies to get out in a more controlled environment.

Slo
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah it was a good ride..... can't wait for the next one!!!!

will-t
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Jay, thanks for the invite to the ride. As the newbiest of the lot, I'm glad I went. Learned a whole bunch today, especially at practice afterwards.

Although, if you like hardpack dirt and some really scenic views, I suggest you all take the wrong dirt road to that town with the crazy guy and his dogs.

ZX Rider
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:26 PM
What a great ride.
I really had a good time.
Thanks Jay for organizing this one.

Sumo
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Agree - as one of the newest members, just wanted to say Thank You as well. Really enjoyed the ride, the education and most of all, the company. Look forward to doing this again soon.:)

N-

Bueller
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I liked the riding part.

suzinpink
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Hey jay! It's Tamara! I actually went on the site and registered. Aren't you proud???? The ride was fun today! I assume there will be a ride next week.... maybe not a newbie one though? You know my number!
T

Manny
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the ride. I had a great time riding with and meeting ya'll.
Thanks, Jay, for organizing the run.

Repsol a095
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Jay,

We really appreciate your kindness. We look forward to riding with you again.
Patrick & UnSuk-Black FZ-1

pilot
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Jay, thanks for the invite to the ride. As the newbiest of the lot, I'm glad I went. Learned a whole bunch today, especially at practice afterwards.

Although, if you like hardpack dirt and some really scenic views, I suggest you all take the wrong dirt road to that town with the crazy guy and his dogs. Crazy guy and his dogs...

pilot
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah it was a good ride..... can't wait for the next one!!!! The ride was so huge it left in three groups.

Manny
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hey, Pilot. Did that guy hook you up with a new chest protector?

pilot
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Hey, Pilot. Did that guy hook you up with a new chest protector?Yah, but I think I'll have to adjust the suspenders:siesta:

Manny
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 09:32 PM
LMAO!

pilot
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 09:57 PM
farkin rain!
Jay, I finally found my way home... I got TOTALLY soaked about 15 min after leaving you guys :(

NEway, great ride, and thanks for the instruction (Raleigh included)!

Ill put up a post about my Wed. fiasco when it gets a lil closer, if I think its gona work out.

Thanks again guys! We need radar mapping on our bikes.
http://www.srh.weather.gov/ridge/lite/NCR/FTG_0.png

Slo
Mon Sep 11th, 2006, 12:03 PM
A few more pics...
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=97930#post97930

konichd
Mon Sep 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Good ride, but too bad for the rain. Glad to hear everyone had a good, SAFE, ride this weekend.

Slo
Mon Sep 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Hey jay! It's Tamara! I actually went on the site and registered. Aren't you proud???? The ride was fun today! I assume there will be a ride next week.... maybe not a newbie one though? You know my number!
T

Tamara, introduce yourself to everyone..... :drink: