PDA

View Full Version : Emergency list

Slo
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Maybe it's here and I am just dumb.... however, in case it isn't.....

I was wondering about putting a list together that could be kept here on the site. This site would contain 1-2 people to contact next to your name, handle, what you ride, etc.

Purpose???? When in a group ride, theres always someone you don't know, "IF" something were to happen the group could call someone (friend, family, whomever) and have them look on this site at the emergency list so that we could call someone for the downed rider.

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Think it's a good idea. I'll be more then happy to fill out any such information.

tm06r1
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Agreed

Boy Scout
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Keep in mind that this is a public forum accessible to anyone on the internet world-wide. Depending on how much you value your privacy and who you wish to share this information with, you may want to re-consider posting this information to a public emergency list where everyone can see it -- EVERYONE can see it, not just the people that have signed up on this forum.

I carry an emergency contact list in my wallet at all times. It has contact names, numbers, and their relationships to me. I won't post that information to any publicly accessible list.

I would recommend that everyone carry this information with them. The people that end up helping you in a time of need may not know anything about this forum or the fact that you frequent it. If you have the information with you, it will be available to those at the scene, regardless of where it is or who you might be riding with at the time (possibly just yourself).

Mel
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 09:53 PM
:imwithstupid: There are places online where you can download examples/templates of contact cards. There is also a group (my brain is a lil too fried to remember what it is called) who you can log info with, then carry a lil key ring thingy or card that allows hospitals to access things like blood type, allergies, and current medications so that you might be able to be treated more quickly in the event of a major incident.
Also, because I am a snob, I always ride with people who I know well and who also know who to contact if I have an incident...that's just me though.

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Sep 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah actually that is true. I don't want anyone stealing my information. Perhaps I'll just stick to the card I carry in my wallet

rforsythe
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Bob and I are still kicking this idea around, however the information would only be accesible to the two of us and likely our moderators, nobody else. It requires an extra step to get anything (i.e. contacting one of us, and we take it from there) but provides confidentiality.

He had something similar working on the old forum with the emergency contact info page, but that has not been carried over to the new format yet.

Boy Scout
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Bob and I are still kicking this idea around, however the information would only be accesible to the two of us and likely our moderators, nobody else. It requires an extra step to get anything (i.e. contacting one of us, and we take it from there) but provides confidentiality.
While this can't hurt, I prefer the contact card. It's great that you would have access to this info, but that is only useful to CSC members that have access to the forums (know where they are, have an login ID, etc.) and/or have yours, Bob's, or one of the Moderator's contact info with them. It also assumes that one of you will be available to lookup the information and pass it along. In a crisis situation, this is likely to be frustrating and time consuming at best, neither of which are needed in such situations. It is also likely to become another place for people to forget to update their information as it changes. It might be useful as a backup source of information in the event that a wallet is lost (thrown from pocket/tankbag, destroyed by accident/fire, etc.), but I think the primary source of the info needs to be at the scene with the people that need it most.

daemon
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM
it's not likely you will be able to call anyone if you are in the mountains.
a contact (any and all) should be in your cell phone.
i would suggest that you have one or two of the more important ones on speed dial.
this is to say that the rider has his cell on him and is willing for someone to make random call's.
somewhere along the line you will find someone who will pass the info on.

Boy Scout
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Speaking of cell phones, I have several ICE (In Case of Emergency) entries in my cell phone contacts list. Mine are actually listed as ICE1, ICE2, ICE3, ICE4, etc., each followed by the person's name.

In theory, this is supposed to make it easier for emergency personnel to contact people in case of an emergency. Perhaps some of you emergency responders can let us know if this is something that you actually look for and use.

Airreed
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Sometype of "contact system" would be nice. I've been on a few rides where people have dumped thier bikes, unfortunatley some have required medical/ambulance attention. When the medic's ask what his/her name is and you say "add your screeen name here" that doesnt help or you just need to call someone they know to come pickup their bike (to save them a few bucks versues impounding the bike).

One possible solution would be for the sweeper to have everyone's REAL Name along with a good contact number. After the ride the sweeper throws the paper away.

Just my thoughts...

rforsythe
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 04:47 PM
ICE numbers are good and a must have (especially more than one, in case your ICE contact is on the bike with you when the crash happens), though a responder will likely not be calling anyone unless it's a cop needing to find your family - more likely that would be used by the hospital after you get there. The contact card is also a great idea, since when your cell phone gets obliterated in the crash that card might survive. Other good things to put on that card include blood type (if known), drug allergies, important medical conditions, etc. The more info a paramedic or ER doc has when you are unconscious and bleeding, the better.

Of lesser use, the emergency info on the site actually might be useful in some cases. I've been asked more than once "do you know how to get ahold of so-and-so's people", so I do think the idea has some merit.

One idea, with the CSC Supporter membership I promised member cards, which I still intend to do. I was considering laminating them, but what about not doing that and leaving the back of them writeable so you could add that info in? This would be a wallet-size card. Or let you provide the info and I will print it on the card, then laminate over it? That way it can get wet (like from water, bike fluids, blood, etc) and still be useful to whoever is looking at it.

Give me some input...

Spiderman
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Somebody (Chad / Haywood Jablome, IIRC) suggested dog-tag-type id tags (also similar to medic-alert tags, which emergency/first responders are trained to look for), and I believe he identified Road ID (www.roadid.com (http://www.roadid.com)). I tried contacting them a couple of years ago about setting something up for the club with our logo etc., but that never materialized. I have since printed up my own dog-tag for $5 at the engraving machine I found in Wal Mart. It includes my name, city, year of birth, drug allergies, blood type, and an emergency contact. If I'm not wearing it while I'm riding, it means I forgot it (which is rare). I also have a contact card in my wallet.

Canuck
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Holy Shit! A post from Bob.:shocked:

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Somebody (Chad / Haywood Jablome, IIRC) suggested dog-tag-type id tags (also similar to medic-alert tags, which emergency/first responders are trained to look for), and I believe he identified Road ID (www.roadid.com (http://www.roadid.com)). I tried contacting them a couple of years ago about setting something up for the club with our logo etc., but that never materialized. I have since printed up my own dog-tag for $5 at the engraving machine I found in Wal Mart. It includes my name, city, year of birth, drug allergies, blood type, and an emergency contact. If I'm not wearing it while I'm riding, it means I forgot it (which is rare). I also have a contact card in my wallet.

I think that's a good idea. Kinda like what I did for my dog in case he gets lost....heheh...Guess that's why they call them "dog-tags". But seriously, I do think this is a great idea. I may go ahead and get me one made for those days that I ride. It'll be in the trunk of the bike until I put on the rest of my riding gear and then, on it goes.

Thanks Spiderman.

Mel
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Ralph: I think laminated membership cards with printed info on them would be wonderful...I think the typed info will be far more ledgible than handwritten, as well as being able to fit more information on there. Additionally, handwirtten pen/marker on the back could be smeared by blood and fluids.
I had never thought to do the dog tag thing, I will think on that one for awhile. I tend to not wear any jewlery/accessories when I am riding, though I also don't carry a wallet when riding (just grab a credit card and drivers liscense).
I think Jasons suggestion of sweeper having some info on the rest of the riders is also a very good suggestion as the sweeper would always be the one to come up on a situation in a group ride.

Also, cell phones are probably not your best bet for info storage as they can be easily damaged even in a light lowside. I also have had people on rides with me go into creeks/ditches and get wet, which would also wipe out a cell.

FZRguy
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Why don’t we have signup sheets for the organized rides? I have one that my cycling club uses and it includes "Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement." In addition to each rider’s personal info, general rules for club rides could be added. Ride leaders ensure that everyone on the ride reads and signs the form before the ride.

Mel
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM
meh, that might be an idea for big big rides, but having to show up and sign stuff I think might take away from the whole thing. When I show up, I show up to see my friends and ride with them.

Player 2
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I just PM'd Ralph earlier with a possible cheap solution for this... waiting to hear back.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 08:54 AM
<snip>"Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement." <snip>

I don't ride with lawyers ---- I'd rather go fishing for carp.

pilot
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 09:43 AM
A simple contact card on a 3-5 index card sure would be easy to hand out just before rides. Cheap, simple, effective. Toss it in the map section of the tank bag.

But, what I think SLO1299 was refering to was more like if your ride breaks down in the middle of nowhere---a rider could call someone with a truck/trailer/tools for help. Of course, there is AAA Plus RV which covers motorcycles. I've used AAA several times to tow my own stuff as well as other peoples bikes/cars/trucks.

pilot
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
update: I just read SLO's post again. SLO IS refering to an EM card, not a rider assistance card? SLO and I had talked previously about the RA card.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I have an auto form field .pdf that contains ALL the information that any ER staff might need to grant you access to the system. I'm willing to forward a copy to Ralph and Bob for posting on the NET. All you would need to do is download it, fill it out, and carry it on your person.

Here is what it looks like:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/Emergency1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/Emergency2.jpg

Player 2
Mon Sep 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Haven't heard back from Ralph yet so here's what I have in the works if enough people would be interested

I have a friend can print up personalized full color cards like corporate ID badges. They can be printed on both sides and he can even do aluminum ones. If we can get a group buy together on them, he'll work out a couple of templates and print them up for everyone. (could throw on the CSC logo or even a photo of yourself for identification purposes). Cost looks to be about $4/ea and could probably get that down a little depending on how many were purchased.

pilot
Mon Sep 11th, 2006, 07:06 PM
That is a great price Jon. And Nick, that is a very good telmplate. Nice job to the both of you.

Jaydoc
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Haven't heard back from Ralph yet so here's what I have in the works if enough people would be interested

I have a friend can print up personalized full color cards like corporate ID badges. They can be printed on both sides and he can even do aluminum ones. If we can get a group buy together on them, he'll work out a couple of templates and print them up for everyone. (could throw on the CSC logo or even a photo of yourself for identification purposes). Cost looks to be about $4/ea and could probably get that down a little depending on how many were purchased.

I'd be interested.

Bassil Duwaik
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM
do you have a template as to what it'll look like and how big?

Player 2
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 05:01 PM
It would be as big a corporate ID badge... credit card size

As for look... we've gotta figure out if we even wanna do it before he's gonna put templates together. It can have any info we want on it and look however you'd want...

Mel
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Princess, I think I would be interested in doing this as well, probably for both Richard and I.
From my standpoint (partially because I have potentially serious medical conditions) I would definitly like to see space for either medical conditions or current medications (though medications can change).

cornhuskxr
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I'm Interested!

1.cornhuskxr

Player 2
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
From my standpoint (partially because I have potentially serious medical conditions) I would definitly like to see space for either medical conditions or current medications (though medications can change).
That's what I was thinking... medical conditions, medication allergies, etc. Emergency contact info.

Slo
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I'm Interested!

1.cornhuskxr

+1

Mel
Wed Sep 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM
That's what I was thinking... medical conditions, medication allergies, etc. Emergency contact info.
probably best to have as much as possible, because I can guarentee that if my husband was called and asked what meds I was on, he would have no idea :lol:

busagirl
Mon Sep 18th, 2006, 09:59 AM
There is also a group (my brain is a lil too fried to remember what it is called) who you can log info with, then carry a lil key ring thingy or card that allows hospitals to access things like blood type, allergies, and current medications so that you might be able to be treated more quickly in the event of a major incident.

Here is the link to one group that I joined while waiting out a rain storm in Monument. :lol: They give you the key ring thingie so if you're keys are lost someone can drop them in a mailbox & they'll get back to you. They also keep your medical and emergency contact info on file & give you a wallet card along with other helpful services.

http://www.aimncom.com/aim/index.html

Jaydoc
Tue Sep 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Okay, I don't normally do this but considering how important this is I'm going to recommend an item. It's called the medical passport and it contains all the information we have been discussing plus legal documents on a USB thumbdrive you carry around your neck or on a keychain. In case of an accident the hospital/EMS plugs it into a port and all your info plus legal documents pop up on their screen. That way, if you're in an accident, the hospital and physicians know all your wishes about life support, etc...

At $59.95 they're not cheap, but they're about the best thing I've seen as a physician for patient information.
www.ess-med.com (http://www.ess-med.com)
http://www.ess-med.com/images/keys002.jpg

N1KSS1KS1x
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:26 PM
I'm interested, I never even thought about this type of thing. Great idea forsure:up:

N1KSS1KS1x
Wed Oct 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
so did this thread die