PDA

View Full Version : Grand County, Be Carefull

Bugkiller1
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Got a 15mph over ticket a couple months ago on Berthods Pass, Grand Co. side. Went to court this morning, got the book thrown at me. $300 fine, 6 points on the record and the kicker... 24 hours community service. I can't get any more violations for three years or I loose my license so ill be at the track more often, riding within the posted limits on the canyon days. No fun at all.

Sully
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Bummer :(..... Was this a "required to appear" ticket.. or was going to court your decision ?

rforsythe
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah ok but how bad was your driving record to start...

There's more to this story.

Sully
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 02:38 PM
brb going to grab some popcorn.. :yumyum:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I'll just mix me up another Greyhound and then post up a good response.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:00 PM
hahaha I was waiting for you to chime in.

Bugkiller1
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Already have 4 points on it... was required to go to court... brought an attorney with me too.

Archangel
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
That sucks to hear... But looks like we'll see you at the track more often!!!

pilot
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM
was the ticket by radar, laser, timing gun?

Bugkiller1
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Radar... I even had "good attitude" listed on ticket which is rare for me.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Already have 4 points on it... was required to go to court... brought an attorney with me too. I have a question ------ did you take a Grand County lawyer with you to Hot Sulfer Springs?

rforsythe
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:13 PM
You're allowed 12 points in a year and 18 in 24 months I think. So you're probably not about to lose your license unless the last ticket was recent...

That does suck tho, 6 pts and $300 for a 15mph speeding ticket is ridiculous. Somehow, they just don't like you!

Bugkiller1
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Im an Investigator for a law firm so "lucky" for me I get free rep. My lawyer was totally shocked when I got community service.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Im an Investigator for a law firm so "lucky" for me I get free rep. My lawyer was totally shocked when I got community service.

It doesn't surprise me in the least. The judicial system in poh-dunk towns like that frown on 'outsiders' coming in with 'outside' representation. If it were me (and it has been before --- believe me) I would hire a lawyer right out of their local yellow pages. Better results almost guaranteed.

Bugkiller1
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM
It doesn't surprise me in the least. The judicial system in poh-dunk towns like that frown on 'outsiders' coming in with 'outside' representation. If it were me (and it has been before --- believe me) I would hire a lawyer right out of their local yellow pages. Better results almost guaranteed.

You should see the clowns that call themselves attornies that I saw this morning...

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:33 PM
You should see the clowns that call themselves attornies that I saw this morning...

I'm not saying that the legal representation in Hot Sulfur Springs is of Ivy League quality. But the fact remains that the judicial system in ALL jurisdictions is a 'good-ol' boy network'. They might be 'clowns' but they are Grand County clowns and most importantly --- THE JUDGE KNOWS THOSE CLOWNS.:silly:

~Barn~
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM
That sucks meng. But like Ralph said, your license isn't in serious danger just yet. It's close, but you're not on "zero" just yet.

So was the 6 points a drop, or was that all of them? What a freakin' jerk, if they didn't shave at least a couple off. :no:

Bugkiller1
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah... I guess it should be noted that I got out of a passing on a double yellow ticket. So yes... there is more to the story as some had predicted.

Airreed
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
...and Barn knows tickets...one might consider him an expert in this area:alien:

Bassil Duwaik
Tue Sep 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
you want to hear about a bad stroke. I got 3 tickets totaling 22 points in one month. Outside of that I've had one ticket for a defective turn signle two years ago and I'm clean going back to 5 years.

denverbusa
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Neil that so sucks!:nuke:

You got pulled over for that a while ago. Did you get a continuance or did they just set the date way out.

Looks like we are seeing some of the downfalls of our hobby becoming so popular. Unfortunately not all of the riders (:squid:s) out there leave a positive face on the sport. These smaller areas are sending the word out. My bet is that even if you went up with a local attourney :silly: you wouldn't have done any better. Judges in small area like that are voted in too. The locals get to chew on his ear down at the local greasy spoon. If he doesn't raise the penalty he's not going to have a job, no matter who the attourney is.

I got 1/3 the fine, no comm. serv. and only 6 out of 18 points on my Leadville adventure almost two years ago. I just went up hat in hand talked skiing with the D.A. :leghump: (almost got it down to 4) and the judge was pretty cool too. Even after I missed my court date and showed up the next day. That was an extra 22 bucks for the bench warrant, boy did I drive the speed limit up there knowing I would have a bench warrant out on me.

See ya on Sat or Sun Morning. My schedule just got changed with the kids so not positive. I can say that IMI is out for this weekend.

Talk to ya later

Sully
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah... I guess it should be noted that I got out of a passing on a double yellow ticket. So yes... there is more to the story as some had predicted.

Curious.. how did you get out of that one ?

Mel
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 03:10 PM
How many points (and what) was the original ticket written for? As far as I knew, 15MPH over on a standard speeding ticket was only 4 points (20 over is the 6 point cut off).

rybo
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Neil,

I worked in Winter Park for a couple years and the saying there was "Grand County, come on vacation leave on probation" The police there are very strict about enforcing the laws, especially with outsiders.

Sorry to hear about your license situation, at the same time I'll look forward to seeing you at the track

S

jahags
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Plus you get to pay a fee to sign up for community service. fee is $50-100 depending on what county you have to do it in. I had to sign up in Greeley for $60 to do the time in Longmont. Longmonts fee to sign up was a $100. they keep F'ing with you every chance they get.

onepoorstunna
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Plus you get to pay a fee to sign up for community service. fee is $50-100 depending on what county you have to do it in. I had to sign up in Greeley for $60 to do the time in Longmont. Longmonts fee to sign up was a $100. they keep F'ing with you every chance they get.

Interesting point of view that, after breaking the rules, which are known, and usually posted in visible places, multiple times, that to get back into the good graces of "da man", its THEM f*cking with YOU as though they do this for fun to poor innocent drivers/riders whom they don't like and pick at random from the highway to mess with.

Versus those who have broken the rules, gotten caught, and either admitted to it or been convicted of it.

Only in America can we be irresponsible and blame everyone else for it. What a country!

vdubguy2k
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Interesting point of view that, after breaking the rules, which are known, and usually posted in visible places, multiple times, that to get back into the good graces of "da man", its THEM f*cking with YOU as though they do this for fun to poor innocent drivers/riders whom they don't like and pick at random from the highway to mess with.

Versus those who have broken the rules, gotten caught, and either admitted to it or been convicted of it.

Only in America can we be irresponsible and blame everyone else for it. What a country!

Hey the goverment has to make money somehow right? I'm not saying I disagree with you completely, but I do disagree. I've been pulled over before when I had my cruise control set in my car and was told I was doing 11 over the speed limit (had it set to 8 over)...guess what, that bumped me into a whole new fine category. All these small town cops and judges get paid this way so of course they are going to nail everyones balls to the walls. Land of the free?......sure, sometimes....if you are in a town that has doesn't have to generate their income that way.

jahags
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 11:12 AM
There should be one set fee on Community service fees state wide, Not what each county feels they can F#ck you with. How does one county charge $60 (weld) and the next county over $100 (Boulder) for the same paperwork? Ok break the law, pay fine at court, Do community service. They are F#cked up because they try to get as much money as they can after you have paid the fine for your violation. Get in the system and you will find out for yourself.

Bugkiller1
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
There should be one set fee on Community service fees state wide, Not what each county feels they can F#ck you with. How does one county charge $60 (weld) and the next county over $100 (Boulder) for the same paperwork? Ok break the law, pay fine at court, Do community service. They are F#cked up because they try to get as much money as they can after you have paid the fine for your violation. Get in the system and you will find out for yourself.

Yeah... total bullshit. Grand Co. is $100