PDA

View Full Version : Trails anyone?

Buddau
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I am looking to ride some trails now that I have gotten somewhat used to not having any traction.
I have been to IMI, Berthoud, and Pueblo dirt area, which is smaller than it used to be, but still huge. How does Watkins compare to Berthoud?
I am looking for close and easy mountain trails that my 8 year old on his TTR90 wont be too over whelmed by.
Directions, or even an online map would be very much appreciated. A group to meet up with would also be great!
Lets ride! :turtle:

Bueller
Wed Sep 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Everyone I know has learned trail riding at Rampart, there is parking/camping areas along the road were you both can get comfortable riding around, and then you can start to venture out on the beginner trail that parallels the road. There are some very easy sections of trail, and there is some more challenging parts. For the most part at the north end of the trail (near the entrance) there is mostly beginners riding there, as you get farther south the trail becomes a little more crowded, but never see a lot of people.
Now I can't say I would be too interested in riding as slow as an 8 yr old would go, but if you take a day for yourself and want to explore some of the other trails gimme a shout and I'll roost it up with ya.

FZRguy
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 12:33 AM
No trails at Watkins, and it’s quite a smaller area than Berthoud. There is a peewee track, however, that’s good for teaching skills but not very big.

To get to the Rampart riding area, head out Santa Fe/Hwy 85 to Sedalia. Go west on 67 for 10 miles and then left on Rampart Range Rd (dirt/gravel road). There are several parking areas along Rampart Range Road. You can get a map of the riding area at Performance for 5 bucks or so.

Buddau
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks FZRguy. We will check out Rampart soon.
So far, we have been to Pueblo, IMI, Berthoud, and Watkins.
Watkins is smaller than Berthoud, but I thought it was the most fun place yet.

FZRguy
Sun Sep 10th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I like Watkins too. Planning on going Wednesday.

Husky
Mon Sep 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Rampart is pretty nice but you have to very careful as it tends to get very crowded on the trails and you always get some dumb ass hauling but through blind spots. Just last weekend a rider got killed there. Picture of bike below.

Some easy riding is in grand lake on their snowmobile trails and fire roads. Great scenery, camping and easy terrain for young or begginer riders. There is large parking area on the county road just left of "Dillie Docks". Have fun

http://www.mxphotos.net/webpic/rampartcrash9-9-06.jpg

AshliRider44
Mon Sep 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Rampart is pretty nice but you have to very careful as it tends to get very crowded on the trails and you always get some dumb ass hauling but through blind spots. Just last weekend a rider got killed there. Picture of bike below.

Some easy riding is in grand lake on their snowmobile trails and fire roads. Great scenery, camping and easy terrain for young or begginer riders. There is large parking area on the county road just left of "Dillie Docks". Have fun

http://www.mxphotos.net/webpic/rampartcrash9-9-06.jpg

We were just there... was this on Saturday the 9th by chance? We were parked next to a few guys with KTM's.

Buddau
Mon Sep 11th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Holly crap! That looks bad.
So far we have been sticking to the tracks. Tracks seem safer, but no matter where you go, there is a risk.

Bueller
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Keep in mind that this kind of crash is a rarity. I have been riding up there since 1970 and I have been in one head on, and we both rode away.

R1chie
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 06:50 AM
We were just there... was this on Saturday the 10th by chance? We were parked next to a few guys with KTM's.

I thought we passed you and Hoopty, you have a honda now (you use to have a yamaha), white and pink outfit. Yes, the accident was Saturday, fortunatly both lived.

Bryce
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM
from my understanding both riders made it but wouldn't have if not for having been airlifted

Bryce

AshliRider44
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I thought we passed you and Hoopty, you have a honda now (you use to have a yamaha), white and pink outfit. Yes, the accident was Saturday, fortunatly both lived.

Yeah that was us :) I have an XR200 now. Yes white and pink :oops:

Those guys were parked by Dave and I, we were by the Sprucewood, he wanted to show me those other trails and he took me up this wicked trail with a great view from the top.

Glad to hear it wasn't fatal. Not sure where that came from. The ranger was asking questions and mentioned he was alive but in a coma..... yikes

Husky
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Glad to hear the riders survived. Any of you guys ever ride up above cental city. The trails go from there all the way to St. Marys Glacier.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Hey Husky...I was up above Central City on Sunday...planning on going back up Thursday...the trees were really beautiful.

On a side note...i was/will be quaddin it

R1chie
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah that was us :) I have an XR200 now. Yes white and pink :oops:

Those guys were parked by Dave and I, we were by the Sprucewood, he wanted to show me those other trails and he took me up this wicked trail with a great view from the top.

Glad to hear it wasn't fatal. Not sure where that came from. The ranger was asking questions and mentioned he was alive but in a coma..... yikes

The Ranger told us they guy was not breathing and they said they thought he was dead. I don't know if that was before or after you talked with him or maybe it was a different ranger. The one we talked to had glasses and was in a dodge truck.

AshliRider44
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM
The Ranger told us they guy was not breathing and they said they thought he was dead. I don't know if that was before or after you talked with him or maybe it was a different ranger. The one we talked to had glasses and was in a dodge truck.

That was definately the same guy we talked to and around 6PM :?

Husky
Tue Sep 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Hey Husky...I was up above Central City on Sunday...planning on going back up Thursday...the trees were really beautiful.

On a side note...i was/will be quaddin it

Thats whats nice up there plenty of room for quads and bikes and the scenery is great.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Sep 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM
on top of the scenery being great...i only saw 9 other people all day long.