PDA

View Full Version : To those that went down this weekend....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 07:08 AM
.....on their bikes, I mean!

I feel for you guys, really, I do. I HATE to see that shit. I've been there when I was younger, and I can honestly say every time except one (and even that was partially my fault) was me doing something stupid. Luckily, I just lost skin, and didn't really do much damage. I've never wrecked a car either. Ever. I've been lucky to avoid spills, but also believe longtime skills and experience (do NOT panic) helped me to save things. Especially when the front TOTALLY washed out on me twice in Rist canyon (see my warning post and Big-E's comment also).

The point I'm trying to make, is, basically, don't be stupid. Don't let testosterone blind you. You don't win any prizes for beating your buddy up/down the mountain. The trophy comes at the end of your life when you can look back at a long riding history with minimal injuries. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate. Remember, people like N_N, Beuller, other FOG'ers and I have been riding since most of you were still in diapers, so you might want to just think this over a little bit. Obviously, it worked for us.

Heal up, fix your bikes, and, please, use this as a learning experience to prevent or mitigate a "next" time.

Ride on, riders......

mtnairlover
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself, and I'm a newb...hmmm...maybe that's cause I'm such an 'old' newb...and a Mom...and a teacher of teenage boys.;)

daemon
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 07:53 AM
well said....
and one more note on this.
it does little for the morale of the group when you lose it by pushing your limits.
take your pace and be happy with it.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I go into canyons and tell myself --- "Self ---- you are going to ride this canyon start to finish in second gear and nothing else." Try it sometime --- you'd be amazed. Red line at 80 in the corners is as much fun as 170 in a straight line ----- think about it.

svrat
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Great attitude for sure. It's all about learning from your mistakes and if the price you pay for your mistakes is too high - because of stupidity - then you don't get a chance to learn. Kind of a Social Darwinian thing. Like the guy who wanted to blame is fork seals for tucking the front end by braking too hard. I did the same thing on my crf250 and broke my wrist. Took me about 4 months to stop blaming the wonderfully engineered and tested motorcycle and fess up to the fact that the dipsh1t riding it screwed the pooch. Had I not been racing 3/4Gixxer down the trail I might have been going a more rational speed and might have missed out on the nice titanium screw I scored in my wrist. That would have been great.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Great attitude for sure. It's all about learning from your mistakes and if the price you pay for your mistakes is too high - because of stupidity - then you don't get a chance to learn. Kind of a Social Darwinian thing. Like the guy who wanted to blame is fork seals for tucking the front end by braking too hard. I did the same thing on my crf250 and broke my wrist. Took me about 4 months to stop blaming the wonderfully engineered and tested motorcycle and fess up to the fact that the dipsh1t riding it screwed the pooch. Had I not been racing 3/4Gixxer down the trail I might have been going a more rational speed and might have missed out on the nice titanium screw I scored in my wrist. That would have been great.

Great post rat, I'll ride whitcha!:)

Mel
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I agree svrat....the bikes that we buy are tested well past the limits we will be pushing them to. While it has happened, it is a VERY rare occassion that a wreck is caused by actual bike failure. Disrepair and rider error are your culprits in most all wrecks (and if you ride a bike that is in such disrepair that is causes you to wreck, it is still your fault).
When I wrecked, I know it was 100% my fault...I was pushing the bike a lil further than it was set up to be pushed and tagged my exhaust on the ground which spun the bike and low sided (i was on a track at the time). My fault...now I know I can't lean that far, lesson learned.
I do feel for the people who wrecked over the weekend (and anytime). Wrecking is a painful and expensive way to learn a lesson on a bike

Archangel
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I can't believe yet another thread has been started...

BHeth
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I can't believe yet another thread has been started...

Aww, c'mon man! It's better than arguing whether or not Bush sucks, or if the world will run out of oil by the end of the week.

3/4gixxer
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I agree svrat....the bikes that we buy are tested well past the limits we will be pushing them to. While it has happened, it is a VERY rare occassion that a wreck is caused by actual bike failure. Disrepair and rider error are your culprits in most all wrecks (and if you ride a bike that is in such disrepair that is causes you to wreck, it is still your fault).
When I wrecked, I know it was 100% my fault...I was pushing the bike a lil further than it was set up to be pushed and tagged my exhaust on the ground which spun the bike and low sided (i was on a track at the time). My fault...now I know I can't lean that far, lesson learned.
I do feel for the people who wrecked over the weekend (and anytime). Wrecking is a painful and expensive way to learn a lesson on a bike

Exactly my thoughts. I went down on the track because I got off the gas in a corner when the back started slipping out. Instant High Side. My fault and guess what, I've slipped since then and I've corrected, lesson learned.:yay:

Player 2
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I went down on the track because I got off the gas in a corner when the back started slipping out. Instant High Side.
Been there, done that... lesson learned :up:

Sully
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Aww, c'mon man! It's better than arguing whether or not Bush sucks, or if the world will run out of oil by the end of the week.

I like Bush.. :yumyum:... :eyebrows:

:lol:

Kris
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Everything is starting to make much more sense now.........

Sully........maybe you should have done 3 months instead of a 6 month 'break'..........:hump: j/k

BHeth
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Even when it sucks?

Sully
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
The Prez sucks... imo..

different Bush...

Kris.. :puke:... gross !

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM

I like 'em baby-smoooooth......:yumyum:

BHeth
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 02:09 PM
The Prez sucks... imo..

different Bush...

He's just a dude in a suit with no real power, reading speeches someone else wrote. Just like all his predecessors.

mtnairlover
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 02:10 PM
:pointlaugh: LMAO

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
He's just a dude in a suit with no real power, reading speeches someone else wrote. Just like all his predecessors.

If in fact he IS a "dude in a suit with no real power", why is everybody blaming him for everything they don't like? Hmmmmmm.....

BHeth
Thu Sep 7th, 2006, 05:46 PM
If in fact he IS a "dude in a suit with no real power", why is everybody blaming him for everything they don't like? Hmmmmmm.....

Well, duh! You hit the nail on the head, Cycle Monkey.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Well, duh! You hit the nail on the head, Cycle Monkey.

Tell the liberals to quit whining then!:)

King Nothing
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Tell the liberals to quit whining then!:)if they quite whining, then I won't be able to bitch when some no-talent-ass-clown liberal is installed into the white house.

mtnairlover
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I love this thread...first we get Frank's heart-felt words of wisdom...then we get a lil' bit of :hump: ...to some no-talent ass clown...

I say we vote for C_M for prez...so he can get all the baby smoooooth bush he wants while we sit back and watch the drama unfold :eyebrows:

j/k Frank;)

3/4gixxer
Fri Sep 8th, 2006, 07:42 AM
:imwithstupid: