PDA

View Full Version : ignition screw again

firefghtr
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:48 AM
so i went and got thos security star torq bits or whatever. and while i was unscrewing one it striped in a second. so i was wounderin if there is any way to get that screw out couse i have now ideas. please help

NZ Darren
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
Are they steel or aluminum?
If they are aluminum just get a drill bit slightly smaller and drill them.
If they are steel you can buy special bits that are made for removing stripped screws.

Anonymous
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:07 PM
These are probably aluminum screws, just drill it out. Be careful not to damage the threads in the mount, or else you'll be retapping it too.

What stripped? The head of the bolt, or the threads? If it's the threads and it is just free-spinning you will have a bitch of a time drilling that, you may need to hold the head with some pliers (get a friend) while you drill it.

firefghtr
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
yea its steal. and its just the star that stripped. so i should drill it huh

Anonymous
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Do you have a dremel with a cutoff wheel? You can try slotting the head and using a flat blade screwdriver to get it off...

firefghtr
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:07 PM
i dont have a dremmel. i drilled a hole in it now what

firefghtr
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:08 PM
i dont have a dremmel. i drilled a hole in it now what

KooLaid
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:00 PM
that's funny, "I drilled a hole in it, now what?"; "I drilled a hole in it, now what?", and you're waiting for an answer still. That sucks you guys left em hanging! I have no clue but normally when I drill out a screw, when I throw the drill in reverse when it's just about gone all the way through or half way, and the threads usually stick to the bit and back out tto.

EliR6
Mon Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:42 PM
Well, you can either go get yourself some ez-outs (I'm pretty sure pretty much any hardware or auto-parts store will have them) or go to Sears and get the ."Screw-out" (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952154000) stripped screw removal bits for $19.99. (I hope that link works. If not, just go to sears.com and search for screw-out.)

ez-outs are handy little things. If you're already drilled the hole, they sort of tap down into it with a reverse thread. Once they "bite" they start backing the screw out. I prefer the Sears thingies myself, they're easier

Good luck,
Eli

firefghtr
Tue Feb 24th, 2004, 11:46 AM
thanks yea i went yesterday afternoon and baught an easy out set from home depot so i'm going to try them later tonight hopefully it works

NZ Darren
Tue Feb 24th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Easy outs are what I use.
They don't seem to work on aluminum that was why I was asking what type of screws they are.
Good luck, you'll get it out.

firefghtr
Wed Feb 25th, 2004, 06:41 AM
i got the easy outs and got the screw out. took the ignition to rpm and got some keys made finally so now i can start my bike again. :)