PDA

View Full Version : Titling a YZF426 ??

Husky
Sun Sep 17th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know what you have to do to get a dirt bike titled here in Colo. This is a 01 YFZ four stroker that I would like to get titled to be able to ride on the county roads without getting slapped with a ticked. All I have is a bill of sale.

chadincolo
Mon Sep 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I believe that all you have to do is put the required items (brake light, head light, horn, etc.) on it, take to the a Colorado State Patrol and have it inspected. You could/should call the State Patrol, they will let you know the requirements.

R1chie
Tue Sep 19th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I just done it to my 06 YZ.

If you have the bill of sale and the Manufacturer Statement of Origin and sign the paperwork stating it is street legal, (tail light, head light, brake, mirror, horn) you can get one. For a Yz you will have to purchase a lighting coil.

If you don't have the MSO then you have to have a bike shop do a vin search and fill out that paperwork. My new bike was $179. I have not made it street legal yet, they do not make a lighting coil for it yet, should happen next year. I will put on all the stuff for it and if I get pulled over, I will tell them I have an electrical problem. I have a better chance of not getting a ticket and the bike will at least have it registered. Also you must have proof of insurance. If you have purchased it in the last 30 days you can use your auto insurance but if it has been longer than that you will have to have your insurance company supply you with proof of insurance. This is how it is in Colorado Springs, I believe the bike shop said it was the same for Denver as these are State laws.

Husky
Wed Sep 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys,
I appreciate the tips. Will be above central city riding, (snow permitting) this Sat/Sun, if anyone gets bored come up.