PDA

View Full Version : pay for demo rides?

Badhabit
Wed Sep 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM
So I'm sure most of us have experienced the frustration of relying on magazine reviews and press releases to help us determine which bike is the one - or at least the next one :) . Some dealerships offer demo rides (Harley, Buell, BMW, some Triumph etc) and I've been told that for the most part it is because corporate underwrites their insurance for these demo bikes. For the most part its like pulling teeth or nearly impossible to get any seat time on a new sportbike prior to the sale. Sportbike dealers have told me that they just don't want the insurance liability and unless you're somebody special - good luck :( . Now usually I've got such a hard on for the bike I'm considering it doesn't matter whether I get a test ride or not - but wouldn't it be nice?

Ok, so to my real questions.

1) How much luck have any of you had getting to test ride a NEW sportbike prior to the sale?

2) Would you be willing to pay a third party to demo not only the bike you are interested in, but also the other makes and models that are comparable, especially if the cost were refunded to you in some form upon the purchase of a motorcycle at a participating dealership?

3) Would this be a valuable service to you in determining what bike to purchase?

Personally, I've only been able to demo and/or rent Harleys, BMWs and I had a demo on a Buell Ulysses that had me sold (yes, even after owning an old tube-frame Buell :cussing: )until the salesman tried to charge me $2k over retail when he had 3 bikes on the floor.

rybo
Wed Sep 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Triumph also offers demo rides on their bikes.

I've had reasonable luck getting test rides when needed, but only if I'm really ready to buy.

Would the service be valuable, sure, but I'm pretty sure if you start running the numbers you're going to find there is extremely limited profit potential.

S

Jenny
Wed Sep 20th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Erico Motorsports offers demo rides on Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Vespa & Piaggio. Probably Hyosung at the West location.

There are specific demo bikes, but if you're truly interested in buying something and there isn't a "demo bike" you'll generally be able to demo a new bike anyways.

Bueller
Wed Sep 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
the salesman tried to charge me $2k over retail when he had 3 bikes on the floor.

Which dealer was this at? I love the bikes but hate the dealers.

Archangel
Wed Sep 20th, 2006, 06:22 PM
+1 for Erico... They let me test ride their 999 Demo a few years back!!! It was during one of their promos. I was even completely honest and told them that I could afford one at the moment, but someday it would be a lot of fun. Filled out the release form and they handed me the keys.

I would love to be able to demo new bikes more. Isn't there a bike fest type of thing either at Breck or Winter Park? It's one of the resorts where all the dealers are there and you can sign up to go on supervised demo rides?

mikesf4i
Wed Sep 20th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Foothills BMW/Triumph also has demo rides

Badhabit
Thu Sep 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM
The service that I am thinking about offering would allow the rider to not only test the bike they want, but also to do a direct "comparo" between all the big name bikes in the catagory.

For example: I think I want the new R6. Why not also ride the Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki 600s in addition to trying out the 1000s? Ride all the bikes, side by side, over the period of one day and then make an informed purchase.

If there is enough interest to make this profitable, I would then consider adding V-twin superbikes, Sport-tourers, and heaven forbid... a motard or two! That could be very helpful to those riders whose ego's demand a GSXR-1000 but might really be happier on an FZ1 instead.

I don't know many dealers that will allow you to ride half their inventory in an attempt to figure out which one to buy!

This idea is still in the formative stages and I'm very interested in what all of you have to say. I'm also interested in partnering with specific dealerships that would be willing to offer a rebate or gear and accessories to at the very least offset the cost of this service upon the purchase of one of their bikes.

V-Twin Villain
Thu Sep 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
I saw a guy at Grand Prix Motorsports off of countyline last week go for a demo. I'm not sure if it is just for the Victory line, or all bikes.

Clarkie
Thu Sep 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM
before they move Cyclefest down to Denver you could ride anything from a cruiser to a V-twin Superbike, to a ZX10. Having run the demo program for Aprilia USA there are a lot of hoops you will have to jump through, the biggest being the liability part of.

There is a reason a lot of dealerships dont let you test ride sport bikes and anyone that have ever had a rental car will know why, people will beat the crap out of them and crash them if given the chance. the stories from the demo program from both us at Aprilia and the other OEM's are priceless, we wrote off all the expenses (ie crash repairs and totalled bikes) as a marketing expense.

will-t
Thu Sep 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
There is a reason a lot of dealerships dont let you test ride sport bikes and anyone that have ever had a rental car will know why, people will beat the crap out of them and crash them if given the chance.

CO Powersports in Denver and Boulder will let you demo ride anything. You just have to fill out a liability release that the dealership is not responsible
for your injuries and you have to sign a damage contract that says if you break it you'll buy it or pay for the repair to showroom new condition. This may cut down on the asshat behavior factor.

A few times a year they also have a specific Demo Day where they have a lineup of bikes that you can play with. The last demo day was all high powered cruisers and liter sport bikes. About 10 different models as I recall.

PhL0aTeR
Thu Sep 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Ok, so to my real questions.

1) How much luck have any of you had getting to test ride a NEW sportbike prior to the sale?

I test rode the 'Busa before i bought it. I put the very first mile on it, they had just uncrated it 2 days prior to me buying it for their floor model.

2) Would you be willing to pay a third party to demo not only the bike you are interested in, but also the other makes and models that are comparable, especially if the cost were refunded to you in some form upon the purchase of a motorcycle at a participating dealership?

i dont pay to test out stuff.... if they want the business bad enough, they will let me try it out.

3) Would this be a valuable service to you in determining what bike to purchase?

again.... no

I know it wont help, but the only 2 NEW purchases, cage or otherwise, have been my 2 bikes, the 04 Volusia, and 06 Hayabusa... both were bought at texas dealerships, and unfortunately none of the local dealers (springs) will get my money when it comes to buying a new bike.

Priller_Nate
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM
When I was interested in going from the inline 4 world to a v-twin I went down to Rocky Mountain Cycle Plaza and looked at the Aprilia Mille. I told them I was very interested in buying the bike provided I got a test ride and actually liked the power delivery, etc (I had never ridden a v-twin before). They whined and moaned alot but finally after signing a liability release (if I drop it I bought it) they agreed. Loved it and bought it.

Badhabit
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM
So far the response has been that if you are persistent and sign a waiver, dealers will let you test the bike you want.

1) Is this enough, or would you like a seat-of-the-pants comparison between several bikes?:rock:

2) Is there a consensus that this would not be a valuable service for most riders?

From the response so far, I'm getting that most of you would not be willing to pay for a test day on a variety of sportbikes in a semi-controled enviroment.

Thanks for the input.

Mista Black
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
hell if a bmw dealer knows you they might let you take a demo bike for the whole weekend. back when the R1100S came out in 99 i took a brand new one about 125 miles. i was out most of the afternoon.

R1chie
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
CoPowersports let me ride my 04 R1. The financing was approved but I told them I would not buy it unless I test drove it first and if I did not like it. I would not buy it. They let me test it, I did not fill out any liablility paperwork but then again, that was back in 04