PDA

View Full Version : No Smoking

JAFO
Fri Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
What's up with no smoking at Bar's. Smoking and Bars go together, Telling you to stop smoking in a bar is like asking you to shit and not pee !!!!!

Bueller
Fri Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
smoking smells like shit, and I for one am glad to not have to deal with it anymore.

rybo
Fri Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
:imwithstupid:

I couldn't agree more. Glad that I don't have to deal with the "pollution" that others cause.

On top of that they do tell you not to shit and pee in the public spaces of bars. There are separate rooms for those purposes. I'd be fine with there being a separate "smoking" room so long as the air was isolated from the main area.

lifeon2
Fri Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
yeah it sucks having to breathe all that smoke while I'm power drinking my liver to the size of a freakin watermelon and lets not forget the real health hazard of smoking and driving, its a bar people you dont go there to be healthy

NZ Darren
Fri Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
yeah it sucks having to breathe all that smoke while I'm power drinking my liver to the size of a freakin watermelon and lets not forget the real health hazard of smoking and driving, its a bar people you dont go there to be healthy

True but we don't go there to stink like someones nasty smoke either.
I used to hate waking up the next day and stinking of smoke

lifeon2
Sat Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
you ever smelled someone sweating after a hard night drinking? I'll take the smoke

lifeon2
Sat Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
you ever smelled someone sweating after a hard night drinking? I'll take the smoke and lets not forget the lovely vomit smells you can get in most clubs or bars and they already had non-smoking bars so why not go there. I think its kinda screwed there were choices for nonsmokers now theres no choice for smokers

Bueller
Sat Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
now theres no choice for smokers

Choose to quit.
Save your own fucking life, don't be an outcast, having to stand out side in a little group sucking toxins every hour (or more).
What really pisses me of is the addicts that take off from the job they are getting paid for to suck down a cancer stick, in essence taking their own private break while the rest of us continue to be productive.
10 min. every hour (being generous, you got to get there and back), 80 min. a day 400 min a week. 20000 min. a year. Thats 41.6 days a year you get paid to kill yourselves, and your bitching because you can't pollute the air we breathe in a public setting.

dapper
Sat Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
:applause:
It's a choice, no doubt. Healthcare costs are out of control and banning smoking indoors will save billions in the long run. The government mandated a warning on the package and ya still light up. Does Donald Trump and Bill Gates smoke cigs? I hope the nation goes smoke free indoors!
:cheers:

PhL0aTeR
Sat Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
I was excited when they were talking about imposing the bans, and am still happy that it took effect, although i was fine with smokers having their own section at restaurants. Coming from a month in LA, however, i almost wish they would let them smoke indoors, its terrible walking around downtown or somnewhere and theres 10 people outside EVERY establishment puffing away. Its almost worse having to walk through it outside.

Smoke imposes on too many people, alot more than "other" things that are done at bars... Someone brought up peeing and shitting.... what if someone walked by and hiked their leg on yours and pissed on you? Thats kinda how nonsmokers feel when you walk by and take a huge drag and blow it out, and it happens to waft our direction.

I used to smoke, im glad i quit. I dont want smokers to quit, just dont make me smell it.

Butterfly
Sun Sep 24th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I'm so glad that finally Colorado adopted the law! It was great back in LA to go to clubs and not come back with your clothes ruined b/c of the smell of smoke. There's are some restaurants/bars that were able to make an outside yet enclosed patio not attached to the establishment, so smokers can still puff away but far from everybody else who doesnt. Hopefully the next step will be to allow everybody to buy buzz on sunday! :up:

Lomax
Sun Sep 24th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I am so glad that we are getting to be more like LA.:bananna:

Dietrich_R1
Sun Sep 24th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I can't agree with how all these states are banning smoking in public places...

If I own a restaurant, & I want people to smoke... It's my place dam't! "Patrons" have the right to come to my place or not. I also have the right to refuse service to everyone. It's not really a public place then is it?? Let them find a restaurant/bar which doesn't allow smoking. Sure, make the crapple-B's of the world change to no smoking.

I don't "really" smoke & so it doesn't matter either way. I just don't like people infringing their beliefs on others.

Why not a law which says you have to wear a helmet then??? Other people might have to pick up your medical bills if your insurance doens't.

Why not a law which states religion should be allowed in public schools? Hell, the majority of people are christian here, so why not? Religion is good & healthy for the soul isn't it....:yay:

Anyway...Blah blah blah!

Bueller
Sun Sep 24th, 2006, 08:43 PM
All of your examples are laws which force people to "do things", this law prohibits people from doing something which the majority of the public finds objectionable. If you want to allow smoking why not allow spitting, maybe I believe I should be able to spit on you as you walk by. Are you going to infringe on my beliefs?
The good of the many, outweigh the wishes of the few.

Lucky
Sun Sep 24th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Choose to quit.
Save your own fucking life, don't be an outcast, having to stand out side in a little group sucking toxins every hour (or more).
What really pisses me of is the addicts that take off from the job they are getting paid for to suck down a cancer stick, in essence taking their own private break while the rest of us continue to be productive.
10 min. every hour (being generous, you got to get there and back), 80 min. a day 400 min a week. 20000 min. a year. Thats 41.6 days a year you get paid to kill yourselves, and your bitching because you can't pollute the air we breathe in a public setting.

I totally agree. Perhaps non-smokers should get an extra 30 min of break a day since they are not wasting their working time to go outside and smoke.

I also hate walking out of a building, expecting to get a fresh breath of air, and walking straight into a cloud of smoke. You just can't get away from it.

Mother Goose
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM
If you want to smoke at a club, so to Tabu above Diamond Caberet :up:

lifeon2
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 11:21 AM
ok so when there were several non smoking bars and restaurants long before the smoking ban all of the non smokers had a choice. If you went to a smoker friendly establishment it was by choice. However my smoking was infringing on your "right" to breathe smoke free air even though you had the option to be elsewhere?? Now that there isnt a choice for smokers and its ok? So you had a choice before as did I and now I'm the one who has no choice and its ok? Oh I almost forgot I should quit anyway because its bad for me and there for laws have been put into place by those who know whats good for me. My choice not theirs. Also if you work for a company that allows additional breaks for smokers maybe you should mention it to your boss instead of whining about it. Oh and bueller I wouldnt dream of infringing on your right to spit on me as long as you wont infringe on my right to kick you in the nuts for it. (that is a retard example as their have always been nonsmoking establishments)

One last thing take a look at denver from the mountains, yeah thats clean air your breathing now after all the brown cloud over denver is totally caused by smokers.

Devaclis
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM
must ...... not.......voice my ........ opinion.......

pilot
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM
What's up with no smoking at Bar's. Smoking and Bars go together, Telling you to stop smoking in a bar is like asking you to shit and not pee !!!!! Please don't throw your cigarette butts :siesta: in the urinal. Do we pee :piss:in your ashtray?

Devaclis
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Jesus non- smokers are angry little fuckers. Sit back, have a cig and relax ;)

And stop taking away my rights one at a time. Debating the health benefits of me not smoking in a bar, when you could go elsewhere, is like arguing for a helmet law when you don't own a goddamn bike.

Player 2
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 03:55 PM
So a non smoker shouldn't have the right to enjoy the same bar as you because they choose not to inhale the nasty shit you're polluting your body with? :| (and just FYI, I smoked for 10 years...)

Vance
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM
All of your examples are laws which force people to "do things", this law prohibits people from doing something which the majority of the public finds objectionable. If you want to allow smoking why not allow spitting, maybe I believe I should be able to spit on you as you walk by. Are you going to infringe on my beliefs?
The good of the many, outweigh the wishes of the few.
Bueller... this perspective is simply wrong wrong wrong....

Eating raw meat is a choice (albeit a potentially deadly one with the varieties of strange things floating about in meat, poultry, pork, etc these days)

Smoking is a choice... (albeit even though I know plenty of smokers its still not a bright one considering the known ill effects)

Wearing a helmet is a choice... (albeit not a bright one if you choose not to then get into a crash as a rule of thumb)

SPITTING ON SOMEONE still IS a matter of choice - however that goes to infringing on another person's rights to safe environment as that qualifies as BATTERY in the United States as you are inflicting harm upon that person - whether perceived or not - its still harm. Its denegration. Its malicious. If you are spitting on the sidewalk - fine. But on someone else - you've just violated their rights to a safe environment. Sorry... not a valid example.

Now...
Some people may argue smoking is a similar violation...
However --- you have a CHOICE of what establishment you visit and are a patron of. If you know some place permits smoking --- and you don't like smoke --- go elsewhere. If you like the food there and you can't get it anywhere else... do take out. Or... live with it. Its a choice.

Welcome to America - founded on freedom. Founded on choice. Founded on the premise we as a people have the right to be stupid if we choose to.

God I love playing devil's advocate!

PS ---> How the hell is this part of the Jokes & Stuff thread????

V-Twin Villain
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 04:13 PM
The "Robusto Room" down south still let's you smoke and drink. Pretty cool cigar bar, and a few hotties there too who like smoking. Check it out.

Devaclis
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 04:22 PM
But I am the one that can no longer enjoy the bars that you do. Not the way that I had been able to enjoy them. Wait for the day you can no longer drink in a bar because of the number of people who call in sick to work with hangovers costing the company money, or the liver problems people acquire costing tax payers money for bloated hospital bills, or the deaths caused by drunk driving costing lives and money. Yeah, smoke makes your clothes smell. So does mowing the lawn and filling your car with gas.

Or , I can no longer do something that has been legal in this country for over 200 years because you waive your right to go someplace else. Maybe call the radio station for playing music you don't like instead of changing stations? Wanna censor TV too because black nipples during the superbowl offend you?

I am a considerate smoker, and I don't mind standing outside to smoke. It suits me. Just take the smug bullshit to your own private Idaho and keep it away from my freedom.

(smoker 10yrs here also ;) )

Player 2
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Just take the smug bullshit
No smug bullshit here... just adding fuel to the fire ;) :drink:

Devaclis
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I hear ya. I am not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to relay how pissed I am that my public freedoms are getting nickled and dimed away from me.

BTW: How'd you quit?

Player 2
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I hear ya. I am not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to relay how pissed I am that my public freedoms are getting nickled and dimed away from me.

BTW: How'd you quit?
I totally understand. As an ex-smoker I LOVE the fact I can go out with everyone and not have to take on the added expense of a dry cleaner to clear the smoke out of everything I own ;)

I don't agree with it from a business owners standpoint though. As mentioned earlier, if I owned a bar it should be my choice what I allow there. Just like I can choose what liquor to sell, how it's decorated, etc.

I personally quit cold turkey. It took a few weeks to stop smoking when we'd hit the clubs but eventually I got tired of giving away half smoked packs of cigs the day after going out. I'd try having one the next morning and was so turned off by it I'd give the rest of the pack to whatever person was out smoking with me. Once you get your taste buds & smell back, it makes it a lot easier to kick. The hardest thing for me was the physical addiction. I chewed a fuck load of gum for months after I quit...

busagirl
Tue Sep 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM
But look at the good it's doing not just for all of us but for our neighbor's down south as well.... :D

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=4116568&nav=menu99_6

lifeon2
Tue Sep 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM
funny but I couldnt find any info to back that up like the original studies perhaps?

once again nonsmokers have always had options for smoke free restaurants etc. you dont want to have a heart attack? go there

One of my favorite things about being a grown up used to be that decisions concerning my health and well being were mine to make now I guess I still have ice cream before dinner course that may change soon who knows. Any of you who have been to New Mexico should be familiar that restaurants there are no smoking, al of them, but you can still smoke in bars guess they understand that drunk drivers kill more folks than second hand smoke

busagirl
Tue Sep 26th, 2006, 11:20 AM
funny but I couldnt find any info to back that up like the original studies perhaps?

Just because I'm bored . . . ;)

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/short/bmj.38055.715683.55v1

Bueller
Tue Sep 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Your opinion.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Opinions are like democrats.... not 1 of them is worth a shit unless they are opposed. And even then, they are just opposed.

lifeon2
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Busagirl thanks for the link but it does say the law "may" be responsible keep in mind folks the same stuff that causes cancer from cigs also comes out your exhaust pipe

Player 2
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Gotta love the non-discreet warnings on the packs over in the UK :lol:

http://rankeddomains.com/images/smokingkills.jpg

dapper
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:32 AM
http://www.friday-fun.com/files/smiles/cancer.gif

R1chie
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM

Eating raw meat is a choice (albeit a potentially deadly one with the varieties of strange things floating about in meat, poultry, pork, etc these days)

Smoking is a choice... (albeit even though I know plenty of smokers its still not a bright one considering the known ill effects)

Wearing a helmet is a choice... (albeit not a bright one if you choose not to then get into a crash as a rule of thumb)

SPITTING ON SOMEONE still IS a matter of choice - however that goes to infringing on another person's rights to safe environment as that qualifies as BATTERY in the United States as you are inflicting harm upon that person - whether perceived or not - its still harm. Its denegration. Its malicious. If you are spitting on the sidewalk - fine. But on someone else - you've just violated their rights to a safe environment. Sorry... not a valid example.

Now...
Some people may argue smoking is a similar violation...
However --- you have a CHOICE of what establishment you visit and are a patron of. If you know some place permits smoking --- and you don't like smoke --- go elsewhere. If you like the food there and you can't get it anywhere else... do take out. Or... live with it. Its a choice.

Welcome to America - founded on freedom. Founded on choice. Founded on the premise we as a people have the right to be stupid if we choose to.

God I love playing devil's advocate!

PS ---> How the hell is this part of the Jokes & Stuff thread????

Wow, you defended it well. I agree, if you are a bar owner, you should not have the government telling you who you can and cannot serve.

One point that was missed and in response to Buellers argument is that it is in most places it is illegal to spit on people. So if you allow spitting on people in your bar then you are breaking the laws. Smoking is LEGAL. It is perfectly legal for someone to smoke anywhere unless the specific place CHOOSES not to allow it.

The laws are hypocritical. How can you make it illegal to smoke in a bar when it is totally legal? The reason they use to create the law is it is bad for others and infringes on their rights, if that is the case then you should ban cigarettes altogether. The reason government does not do ban tobacco is because it enjoys the taxes generated by tobacco. If you are using safety as a reason to make something illegal then alcohol through drunk driving kills far more people than second hand smoke, ban that. But again government wants taxes generated by alcohol so it is total hypocrisy and a total infringement on the rights of bar owners. If smoking is legal, then what right does government telling bar owners who they can and cannot serve? It is government control at its fines and a total violation of freedom. End of rant.
:)

Devaclis
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Thank you.

leviathin
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
I quit smoking a few years ago, i dont agree with the smoking bann, i do think that sometimes things like this can be taken to far. now for all those that think they are being treated unfairly because of this bann, i think you should take a look at Palm Springs, CA. that city went crazy many years back, and passed a city wide bann on smoking in public, me and some friends got in trouble for smoking while walking down the street, and that was over ten years ago. now that is ridiculous, so all in all, i dont agree with the bann here in CO, but it could be worse. ....my three cents

denverbusa
Mon Oct 23rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
At an office I worked in the non-smokers started taking a break every time the smokers would go out back they would go out front. When the boss came around and found no one in the office he went bullistic and set up break times and schedules, no exceptions. Smokers were pissed but it got productivity up and their point across.

Vance
Tue Oct 24th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Way to pull a Viktor Von F on this thread and revive it from the dead.

Sheesh.