PDA

View Full Version : Dynojet "Quickshift?"

konichd
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these and what they think? Also does it work with GP shift?

If any shops out there have and install these, let me know becuase you just sold one!

Thanks for an advise.:)

Spiderman
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Not personally, but I know people who have used them, and yes, the work with GP shift (as I understand it, when you purchase it, you need to specify push or pull to differentiate between standard and GP shift - I've nver bought one, so I can't help you with which = which myself, but...). I'm pretty sure TK Motorsports can help you out with any other questions, as well as getting you one (if they don't already have it in stock) and installing it for you. Tell 'em Spidey sent you! 8)

konichd
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks Bob! Bart down at TK has taken care of the Kawi before so it might go in for another visit. The only problem is if you have to specify the shift pattern. My Kawi is std. shift right now but I plan on buying rearsets for GP shift. Guess I have to wait until the rearsets come in to do this? :(

rybo
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 01:03 PM
DK,

I've ridden a bike that had one, but never owned one. I can tell you it works, but for the most part (especially with a street bike) the gains to be had are negligible. On the street you can shift without a clutch pretty easily and with no harm done to the engine, just let up on the throttle a little. What the quickshifter does is does an ignition interrupt when you apply pressure to the shift lever. It's just like letting up on the gas a bit. Anyways, I up and downshift the FZR on the track without the clutch all the time. Granted it's no ZX10 (in fact it has about 1/3 the HP of your bike) but especially for street use I don't think it's necessary.

That being said, if you've just "gotta have one" then TK is the place to go.

Scott

konichd
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I've decided that the Kawi is going to have to be both my street and Track day bike for the time being. :( I just want to make it easy to convert over for a track day (race plastic, etc.) Plus I keep hearing that "clutchless upshifting" is good/bad for a clutch so I rather play it safe since a quickshifter is a lot cheaper than rebuilding my Kawi's clutch assembly.

Basically I'm trying to build a bike that can lead 2 different lives! :)

rybo
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
The Fizzer will be for sale cheap at the end of the MRA season....probably less money than the stuff you're buying for the kawi.....

just a thought.

:)

Spiderman
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM
If you're going to convert to GP shift by changing rearsets (and not by flipping the shift arm), then (theoretically) you shouldn't need to change from push to pull (or pull to push), and the same adaptor should work for standard shift with your current rearsets AND for GP shift with your new rearsets. I'd check with the Bartman. 8)

The GECCO
Mon Sep 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I've decided that the Kawi is going to have to be both my street and Track day bike for the time being. :( I just want to make it easy to convert over for a track day (race plastic, etc.) Plus I keep hearing that "clutchless upshifting" is good/bad for a clutch so I rather play it safe since a quickshifter is a lot cheaper than rebuilding my Kawi's clutch assembly.

Basically I'm trying to build a bike that can lead 2 different lives! :)

There is NO downside to clutchless upshifts in my opinion, and it DOES make a difference at the track....

No-coast-punk
Mon Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
The dyno-jet type systems are also much smoother than clutchless shifting without one. I don't care how good you are.

Clutch wear happens when the clutch plates are slipping past one another. There is 0 clutch wear during clutchless shifting. It's a bit hard on the damper springs... but those generally last forever. Clutchless shifting is MUCH more abusive to the hard parts though. Compare the cost of a clutch replacement vs. replacing trans. hard parts.

I have seen the guts of bikes that have been subjected to all manner of riding styles.

For bikes that are ridden hard at the track and see hard clutchless shifting... it's pretty scary.

The least beat up transmission parts seem to come from the bikes that use systems like the dyno-jet one and people who use the clutch.

This is because using the clutch or an ignition cut subjects the hard parts themselves to far less load than backing off the throttle for a split second.

Is it totally necessary? No. Is it REALLY bloody fun? Hell yeah! Will it preserve the hard parts in the gearbox? Absolutely.

The GECCO
Mon Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
ah, yes, let me clarify my previous post - there is no downside to clutchless downshifts WITH a quickshifter compared to doing it without one.

jplracing
Mon Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
I import a quickshifter that is a push or pull model. This way you don't have to choose between the to...just set it up the way you need.

TK is a dealer for me and can sell you one very easily

You can find info at www.cordona.net (http://www.cordona.net)

If you have any questions let me know

Joe

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
yeah I've ridden a bike with one but never really had the chance to see to what end it could go.