PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO Repairing Plastics

Archangel
Tue Sep 26th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Well as I decided to try and repair some road rash plastic last weekend. I threw together a HOWTO and posted it up on my little space provided by my ISP. This is only repairing rash, not cracks. I might tackle that next, as it would only require a few more steps.

Comments and criticism are completely welcome. I know you guys are good at both. Tell me what you think!!!

Warren

http://home.comcast.net/~warrenjrose/

Spr0cket
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 10:19 PM
A few suggestions :

On a solid color such as black, use more coats but thinner - do not get close to running.
Clearcoat may well be on the existing finish - feel the tank graphics, are they under a clear coat ?
To get a more polised finish - use some rubbing compound - 3M do a good one in a grey bottle that you can even pick up in Wal Mart
Finally - don't wax fresh paint - give it at least a couple of weeks to cure and harden on the finished item before applying wax.

You also didn't mention any primer application? That might well explain your orange peel. Todays paints are great for the DIY market, but as with most things of this nature, 80% or more of the finished effect is born from the prep.

Seems like you had some fun, and learnt plenty along the way.
I don't claim to be any sprayer or painbt expert, simply like yoursefl, learnt a few lessons the hard (and time absorbing) way.