PDA

View Full Version : How often do you lube...

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I am sure that I will get a lot of non bike related responses.....

But I have a question about how often do you lube your chain?

- Everytime after you ride?
- After how many miles?

And what is the proper way to lube da chain?

rybo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I do about every 300 miles.

I like the honda chain lube. I usually lube after a ride when the chain is warm....seems to work best.

About every 1000 miles I clean the chain with Kerosene and then lube.

S

~Barn~
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM
It was never really a miles thing for me. I pretty much did it every time I washed the bike or rode in wet conditions.
(it was pretty frequent due to washings. Maybe once a week or every other...)

Anyway, just clean your chain real good with some Kerosene, and then follow the instructions on the lube you use. Some waxes want you to go ride for a few minutes to heat the chain, then spray it on, and let it set for 20 minutes. Other chain lubes have completely different application methods. Just do what they say, I suppose.

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Awesome...

Thanks.....

Sully
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 09:57 AM
:imwithstupid:

It also works best of you have a rear stand...I lube it after I get home, while it's warm.. about every other tank of gas.. I was thinking of using the Chain WAX.. anyone use that ? I use the lube but get tired of it flinging all over my wheel... it's hard to keep those babies sparkling WHITE ! :rant:

rybo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Sully,

Go and get the honda chain lube....it's in a red can, but I can't remember the number. The liquid part of it evaporates off and leaves a residue that is the lubricant. It doesn't fling off at all. It'll keep those wheels looking nice!

Devaclis
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Every weekend or 300 miles, whichever comes first

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 10:09 AM
The dealership lubed my chain last and have not done it for awhile.....(kicking myself for not staying on top of it) :(

and whatever they used my rims get caked with crap on them after each ride....

Thanks for the tip on the Honda Lube....I am going to give it a try....

Devaclis
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Ask Stewie why you should take care of your chain :)

Sully
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks Scott for the tip.. I'll pick some up soon !

Junichi - I use this OXY laundry spot spray to clean my rims.. It absolutely melts the goo and brake dust off the rims like butta ! Try it !

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks Scott for the tip.. I'll pick some up soon !

Junichi - I use this OXY laundry spot spray to clean my rims.. It absolutely melts the goo and brake dust off the rims like butta ! Try it !

Sweeeet......thanks Sully.... I will try that....

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Ask Stewie why you should take care of your chain :)

exactly....reason why I started paying attention to it..... for some reason I started to worry about it......

Sully
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 11:56 AM
And look.. no non-related "lube" responses... :lol:...

Mista Black
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I have over 40k on my bike now and have never put even a drop of chain lube anywhere on the drive train. It still seems to work pretty well.

Sully
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 12:09 PM
:wtf:

sprtbkbabe
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I have over 40k on my bike now and have never put even a drop of chain lube anywhere on the drive train. It still seems to work pretty well.

You do check the oil, tho, right? :)

salsashark
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM
:lol: yeah, but you're meticulous about those muffler bearings

And look.. no non-related "lube" responses... :lol:...

Oh... and remember, you can never have too much lubrication! :eyebrows:

~Barn~
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I gotta disagree with ya there Salsa. Too much lubrication can negate a certain amount of friction that's key.

I'm actually of the opinion that wiping away unnecessary fluid is an enhancement!

Suki
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Nichi, just get yourself a boyfriend and have him do it! so much easier, you dont have to deal with the hassle, time or mess!

i know, i know, you can thank me later, no really! :lol: :D

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
C'mon funny feeling.............................

salsashark
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM
True B...

'Tis a fine line we walk.

Too much, your risking loss of all friction... which is bad

Too little, and your risking excessive amounts of friction which could also be bad

So, just like Goldylocks... you got ta get the lube just right! and all will be well!

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Nichi, just get yourself a boyfriend and have him do it! so much easier, you dont have to deal with the hassle, time or mess!

i know, i know, you can thank me later, no really! :lol: :D

Boyfriend..... :shocked: Sorry I dont play that way..... I like GIRLS.....you know I am a guy right...?

Although I am a giver not a receiver..... :lol:

I could find a girl to lube da chain for me though.....

DeeStylez
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM
If anyone has an xtra rear wheel stand 4 sale, PM me ..... And yes after reading these messages I need to lube my chain :piss:

rybo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
There is a rear stand post up there, I put a link in for a good deal from Handy Industries for a front and rear stand $89.

Player 2
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I've got a rear stand I'd be willing to part with. I wanna get my hands on a spool stand instead....

Sully
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I could find a girl to lube da chain for me though.....

I'm sure you could find many... but first.. let's see this chain... :lol:

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I'm sure you could find many... but first.. let's see this chain... :lol:

No show and tell here....... :lol:

Sully
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 02:25 PM
What... ?? Are you shy or something ??? :lol:

Devaclis
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I really need one for the Hawk too :(

Sully
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I purchased mine at Performance during their Christmas sale.. used a coupon.. :up:.... killer deal too ! C

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 03:07 PM
What... ?? Are you shy or something ??? :lol:

:lol: I only show and tell if I plan on using it..... :shocked:

Player 2
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
:lol: I only show and tell if I plan on using it..... :shocked:
So what you're saying is that your chain never gets any use...

Kendo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
:lol:

true .... true ..... true.......

Mac020
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I lube my chain about every other tank or 300 miles. When I get home I spray, wipe it down, and spray again. You really need to jack the wheel to do it right. I use about 1/16 to 1/8 of a 10 oz can each time. Also wipe down and clean both rims, check tire pressure, oil level, and give her the once over. Let it sit over night and you're ready to go in the morning.

DevilDuc
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I personally do a thorough visual inspection of my bike every week. During this inspection, I check the bike over for tire punctures, check\adjust chain if required, check\adjust tire pressures, check the lights,and lube the chain. If the bike was ridden in rain, or if it is washed, then I lube the chain as well.

A tech from Ferracci Racing told me that they just use WD-40 or Tri-Flow on their chains. The explination was that with o-ring type chains, the "lube" is held captive in the rollers. The only benefit of lube on the outside of the chain is for rust prevention, and to keep the o-rings from drying out.
I just spray the chain with Tri-Flow and wipe the excess off with a rag. I have been using this method for over 15 years now without a chain failure or premature wear issues. I usually get 15-20k miles form a chain\sprocket set. I use this method on both the track bike and my street ride. Since the "lube" is a light-weight oil, it does not make the rear wheel messy either.

That's my $.02 worth ....

Sully
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Yes.. I've heard use WD-40 from a few people as well... :dunno:

salsashark
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Yes.. I've heard use WD-40 from a few people as well... :dunno:

I thought that was to put on the tires to make them all black and shiny?!

No, that's armour all! nevermind...:siesta:

Sully
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I thought that was :turtle: turtle wax ?? :dunno:

salsashark
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 09:19 AM
pfff turtle wax... only if you wanna go slow... duh

rybo
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
A word of caution to those who don't already know, but armor alling your tires is VERY dangerous on motorcycles. I'm not sure if it's a silicone based product or not, but it is just like having brand new tires that don't break in for a long time. The centers of the tire will be fine pretty quickly, but the edges will be slippery for a long time. I know we all want our bikes to look good, but this is one step you SHOULDN'T take.

Scott